AL4 compatibility
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By shanadoo
  • 1 Post By 203

Thread: AL4 compatibility

Default AL4 compatibility

I have acquired a new AL4 transmission to fit to our 307. It came from a dealer who assured me it would suit a 2L 16V 307.
    However, it is an AL4 20TS 10 whereas the one in the car is, I think, an AL4 20TS 018W.
    The only external differences I can see are that the wiring socket is mounted in a different position and the selector lever is on a different position on the shaft.
    A Google search indicates that the new transmission suits a Citroen C5.
    Is anyone able to confirm compatibility or let me know that I have done the wrong thing?

Thanks
    Norm

Advertisement

I haven't fitted the new transmission yet because the original AL4 lingers on at 175K.
    Does anyone know if the AL4 20TS is compatible with a 2L petrol 307?

Thanks,
    Norm

Call either A&B transmissions in Dandenong or Manuel Automatics in Thomastown. They rebuild these and will be able to advise.

Only incompatibility issues might be different final drive ratio. Other wise apart from different bell housings for different engines they're largely the same across all of the PSA and Renault applications. You should hopefully just swap over the brackets plugs and levers from your old transmission.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

looks like 20TS10 is used in both Citroen C5 and Peugeot 307 2.0L 16v RFJ engine, used in C5 II (2005 onwards)

https://translate.googleusercontent....KxZ3vqvI-778Hw

where as the 20ts18 was for the RFN engine

PEUGEOT 807 CITROEN C8 AUTOMATIC GEARBOX 20TS18 2.0 PETROL RFJ -FREE POSTAGE | eBay

sorry I don't have any compatibility details as I have just been through the same thing but for a diesel version (which has a different final drive and a lot less sensors hanging off the box)

For reference, the RFJ motor is the EW10A engine (ie. your motor but with a variable intake cam).

It's basically the same engine, so probably no bell housing changes, however the gearbox ECU software is more likely to be modified in some way.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

203 can I ask what is wrong with your original box?

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

According to the guy repairing mine the only difference is the final drive so if you can get the spare parts list you should be able to check the differences.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

Did these AL4s get any better in the mid 2000s? Surely the valve body issue was fixed by the manufacturer over the years in production?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Did these AL4s get any better in the mid 2000s? Surely the valve body issue was fixed by the manufacturer over the years in production?

Dave

[German design team leader] Plagiarized by George Bush Snr 'I'll never apologize for the AL4 etc'

Cheers Tony
    Last edited by shanadoo; 2nd October 2016 at 09:06 AM.
    FIVEDOOR and 68 404 like this.

Thanks for the replies. When I have the time and inclination I'll fit the new one and see how it goes. Unless, of course, the old one carks it sometime soon.
    We,ve had the car for several years and taken it from 95K to 175K. The transmission has always had what I think is some bearing noise and during the last few years changes from 3rd to 2nd are often abrupt.
    I bought the new AL4 for about half the cost of a rebuild because we need to get a few more year's use out of the car.
    These AL4s really are a piece of crap and should have been subject of a recall. I constantly compare it with our old Liberty which has done 310K and still functions perfectly.
    The AL4 has done enormous damage to Peugeot's reputation for longevity and has resulted in many people buying elsewhere.

Norm
    robmac likes this.

Norm, I will be re-installing my repaired AL4 next weekend hopefully (if time allows) not too bad to removal as long as you have enough tools, engine hoist or engine bar hoist, balljoint breaker, and take your time to disconnect all the cables, hoses etc, not sure the re-install will be as easy I may need an extra pair of hands to line up the box/converter with the engine....oh the fun of it. I knew I should have bought a manual. Sorry I cant offer any compatibility for these models as I don't know how to access Peugeot parts lists.

Thread Information