• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Grenouille
  • 1 Post By peugeotnut

Thread: Pug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve

Guys,

Any idea where to source a new unit or the kit?
    Thanks.

Not much on WWW about this cylinder. Accept about someone from Macedonia being advice to bypass the cylinder.

Pug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve-compvalve.jpg

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Superstop brakes in Melbourne can rebuild these. They rebore the cylinder and then use a power brake repair kit. Kits NLA.

Quote Originally Posted by peugeotnut View Post
    Guys,

Any idea where to source a new unit or the kit?
    Thanks.

Not much on WWW about this cylinder. Accept about someone from Macedonia being advice to bypass the cylinder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compvalve.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	76461
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 4th November 2015 at 07:23 AM.

Don't bypass it - you will have diabolical braking in the wet when the rear just locks up at the smell of your foot on the pedal.

they are an easy part to do yourself but first soak it for about a week in WD40 or similar - the big screw at the rear most likely will require an impact driver as it is pin punched in place. Normally heaps of crud & rust on there as well.
    Get yourself a nice hone & or take it to someone who can & get the kit. I have got these from PBR in the past - might have one in the box if you need dimensions.

if you have no other alternative then replace it with an adjustable valve which you can get aftermarket & hunt down a replacement for the original over time

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Graham.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    Don't bypass it - you will have diabolical braking in the wet when the rear just locks up at the smell of your foot on the pedal.

they are an easy part to do yourself but first soak it for about a week in WD40 or similar - the big screw at the rear most likely will require an impact driver as it is pin punched in place. Normally heaps of crud & rust on there as well.
    Get yourself a nice hone & or take it to someone who can & get the kit. I have got these from PBR in the past - might have one in the box if you need dimensions.

if you have no other alternative then replace it with an adjustable valve which you can get aftermarket & hunt down a replacement for the original over time
    Grenouille

Hello Grenouille,

I have opened cylinder, and very true the impact screwdriver does come in very handy. The bore looks still usable, and the seals needs to be replaced. From the attached picture there are only 3 seals, but do you remember if there was any seal inside the spring area?
    Thanks.

Pug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve-20151103_095832.jpg Pug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve-20151103_102256.jpg

Hmmm...
    taxing the brain here -
    yep I think so + the external dust boot

I just went looking through my parts stash & cant find either the kit or my spare compensators - they will be hiding somewhere or the rats ate them perhaps..
    I did find a new compensator in its box though so have a couple of snaps for you here
    Pug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve-2015-11-05-005.jpgPug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve-2015-11-05-006.jpgPug 404 Compensator Valve or Proportional Valve-2015-11-05-007.jpg
    I actually have to open this as it needs to be changed over for full silicone fluid which is all I use - even the slightest trace of rubber grease or any other fluid will affect the silicone as I have learnt the hard way...

This says Bendix but the casting is DBA France -
    Bendix L 631248 00
    DBA 319100

will have another hunt in a short while for you for the kit
    regards
    Gary.
    Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    Hmmm...
    taxing the brain here -
    yep I think so + the external dust boot

I just went looking through my parts stash & cant find either the kit or my spare compensators - they will be hiding somewhere or the rats ate them perhaps..
    I did find a new compensator in its box though so have a couple of snaps for you here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-05 005.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	76529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-05 006.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	76530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-05 007.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	76531
    I actually have to open this as it needs to be changed over for full silicone fluid which is all I use - even the slightest trace of rubber grease or any other fluid will affect the silicone as I have learnt the hard way...

This says Bendix but the casting is DBA France -
    Bendix L 631248 00
    DBA 319100

will have another hunt in a short while for you for the kit
    regards
    Gary.

Hello Gary,

I just managed to find one NOS this evening, thanks to the part number on the picture you posted.
    Have already serviced it, will be plugging it onto the car tomorrow. Thanks.

Regards
    Daniel
    Grenouille likes this.

Excellent news! -

you unwittingly started a nightmare for me Daniel...
    I finally found the box with my spare compensators in it last night after dismantling every corner of the shed... seems the one I did up is in my car & the rubbers I have here I cant accurately ID for you just now - I will have to do a little more homework & get them in the right bags for next time but hopefully I wont be needing that anytime soon. I have another functional unit & the new one so should see me out if they last roughly 40 years a piece....

I believe you contacted me on ebay about shipping to Malaysia! Glad you found a NOS part, that will serve you much better. What type of master cylinder is fitted to your 404? Is it a dual circuit (2 reservoirs)?

Fellow Frogger!

Hello Wade,

Single circuit master that's assisted with a PBR servo. There was an extra vacuum tank that I removed.

Regards
    Daniel

Thread Information