404 Exhaust
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By marty 404

Thread: 404 Exhaust

Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 Exhaust

Hi Does anyone out there know where to purchase the correct front muffler and tail muffler for a 1968 404 new or used ,or know of an understanding exhaust shop who can supply and fit .
    Marty.

Advertisement
    okalford and friday403 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by marty 404 View Post
    Hi Does anyone out there know where to purchase the correct front muffler and tail muffler for a 1968 404 new or used ,or know of an understanding exhaust shop who can supply and fit .
    Marty.
    Hello,

I just change my exhaust set 2 days ago. They only had NOS for the tail muffler. Apparently on mine had three tanks, the front muffler was a short one feet long straight flow, connected to an "s" flow muffler and to the rear muffler. I replaced all three as I did not want to mess with the present configuration.

After about 5 years being parked, the car runs well.

404 Exhaust-pug_exhaust.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for reply mine has 3 mufflers as well, the front one is an expansion box an exhaust shop replaced it with a hot dog muffler the second one in front of the diff is new and the third is missing I am trying to return to the original set up as you have.
    The local exhaust shops are not very help full .
    Marty

Do you mean the "Anti Resonator" hanging off the motor or the first muffler in the system under the car?

any exhaust shop that has mandrel bending should be able to give you a nice result - must be someone around GCoast. You could call Mufflers to the Max = 07 55972294O I bought a much bigger system from them & they were very helpful & human but they do tend to spend time on V8's & the more noisy type of machinery.
    FWIW - I have a 17/8" mandrel bend system with custom headers & 2 mufflers & I am very happy with it. not from those guys but a race exhaust shop so its nicely done but anybody doing that sort of thing could do it.

=marty 404;1392088]Hi Does anyone out there know where to purchase the correct front muffler and tail muffler for a 1968 404 new or used ,or know of an understanding exhaust shop who can supply and fit .
    Marty.[/QUOTE]

1000+ Posts

Marty my local guy at chinderah[kingscliff discount exhausts ]is very good ,he will go the extra mile ,he has made up extractors for a couple of friends with hot rods ,they were very happy with his work ,pugs

1000+ Posts

Thats chinderah discount mufflers 0266745111 david

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Pugs have they done exhaust work on your 404. I have heard of a Gold Coast company who replicated a complete system in stainless steel I would rather plain steel I will track them down.
    I would still like to find a complete original system no matter how rusty to copy.
    Marty

1000+ Posts

Yes he replaced the home made hotdog on the rear with a length of pipe so i could get it through rego ,hes done work on my 405 as well ,he could make you one up in steel if you had something for him to copy ,i will try my sons mate who saw a complete car under a tree somewhere on the gold coast hinterland ,you might also try dave tranter 0755221404,he may know of a parts car with a complete exhaust , that could be copied ,pugs

I got a complete 404KF2 exhaust (double exit manifold, 2 into 1 downpipe) in stainless steel from a maker in England, cost in Canada was $900 CAD including courier delivery. It looks exactly like the original except for the finish.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Thread Information