White colour code late model 404
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: White colour code late model 404

Default White colour code late model 404

Hi,

Does anyone have the Dulon White colour code handy for a late model 404. I'm after the one on the label that is usually attached to the ID/vin plate.

I've got a photo of it somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

Advertisement

Cheers,

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 2nd November 2015 at 03:11 PM.

addo likes this.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Thanks Mike, greatly appreciated.

No worries Dan.

Dan, are you ready for paint already..?

And you'd better believe it'll be a good paint job. More pics for us to drool over.

Sorry guys,

I wish!

My real job, where the money comes from, keeps getting in the way. On holidays again soon, so I hope to get stuck into it then.

Sourcing the right paint/code/match is something I have been meaning to do for a while. Anyhow, a young guy from up North Queensland way contacted me after seeing my thread and asked if I had the right code. Some time back at the paint shop where I buy POR etc, we were talking about colours and codes and the lady produced this really old tatty book that had the code and specs for Peugeot, Alpine White 1966 -1974. She said, "when your ready just come see us" So I did to help him out. It is in acrylic, but now its matched they can scan/batch it up in two pack.

Cheers,

Dano
    addo likes this.

Hey Dano,
    be a little careful with Alpine White in Australia - at last count there are 7 Alpine Whites on 404's all with the same code... yes they are all different.
    If you are trying to match an existing part then take something small & get a proper colour matching human or spectrum analyser to do it or you might get a surprise.
    If you need a sample I can spray a small card here for you & post it but then my car is a much more cream than a lot even though its Alpine White...
    I'll go have a look see if there is a code on my tin for you
    G.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Sorry guys,

I wish!

My real job, where the money comes from, keeps getting in the way. On holidays again soon, so I hope to get stuck into it then.

Sourcing the right paint/code/match is something I have been meaning to do for a while. Anyhow, a young guy from up North Queensland way contacted me after seeing my thread and asked if I had the right code. Some time back at the paint shop where I buy POR etc, we were talking about colours and codes and the lady produced this really old tatty book that had the code and specs for Peugeot, Alpine White 1966 -1974. She said, "when your ready just come see us" So I did to help him out. It is in acrylic, but now its matched they can scan/batch it up in two pack.

Cheers,

Dano
    svengali0 likes this.

Hi Grenouille,

I hear what your saying about the 101 different varieties of Alpine White. I am however fairly confident that I've got the right code, but I would like to take up your offer of a sample swatch, just to be sure. I do want my car to be in the slightly creamier colour. The images below are, the code out of the book I was talking about and the suppliers tinting spec's for the sample pot I purchased.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alpine white from book.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	76519 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alpine white specs as per sample pot.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	76520

I'll PM you my details.

Cheers,

Dan

not a bad example of the colour variation =
    White colour code late model 404-dscn0274.jpgWhite colour code late model 404-dscn0277.jpg
    I know the first 2 are definitely original paint in the front end image
    from the closest -
    1 & 5 are pretty well the same (1 is a 68 I think with newer mirrors)
    2 & 4 same (2 is a 70/71)
    there is also a 6th car in the background which is close to the 70 colour.

Probably the batch mixes caused the variation combined with fading & more / less aggressive polish over the years.

I appreciate your pursuit of originality.

However I wonder if the factory was as fussy with the color "batch"matching as you seem to be. Color matching technology was different 44 years ago. And the ravages of time and the Sun will cause a change in color.

So the question I ask is does an ever so slightly different color shade make any difference to the originality or intrinsic worth of the vehicle?

Personally I don't think it matters at all.

Having said that I wouldn't favor a nipple pink 404. However Barossa Red is my color of choice for a 404.
    JohnW likes this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

My dad bought a used 404 station wagon when it was a few years old and I don't remember it being at all yellowish. Years down the track, the Alpine White my brother reprayed it and it seemed a bit yellow. My memories of Alpine White are of it being white, but not stark white.

Rob,
    Remembering that all 404's were painted in Melbourne upon arrival / assy then its easy to see how the variation;-

Does it matter? - well I guess that depends whether one wants a molested or unmolested vehicle. That’s a can of worms better left to the concourse judges if that’s your thing. I would err on the side of matching as close to possible what is on the vehicle that is definitely not sun / mechanically altered IE: inside the doors or other suitable overspray area.

My car is no trailer queen but I did want it to be as close as possible to original with consideration given to driving & living with the car in the current world IE: it must keep up with or be able to pass modern traffic, be safe & be enjoyable. I don’t enter concourses cause that’s not what its about for me.

Peter,
    If you put 10 Alipne White 404's side by side they almost all will be different - if one orders a tin of Alpine white its quite surprising what's in the tin - mine was completely off & so I went for a proper colour match to the original Australian finish on the car. I'm satisfied my car is as close as it could be to the Aust paint. In areas where I have gone back to French paint certainly its difficult to tell the difference.

So…. Did the colour variation start in France & just get duplicated here as they arrived

Mike T if you're listening-
    do you see the same variation in Canada / US?

I would err on the side of matching as close to possible what is on the vehicle that is definitely not sun / mechanically altered
    That's the exactly my view as well.

However color matching off an un-calibrated computer monitor from a JPEG image taken with a camera of unknown abilities of a vehicle of unknown heritage, sprayed with paint from a questionable source. Is probably not the best way to determine the "correct color".

In fact, I rather support your suggestion of looking behind a door trim and eye matching off that color (unless of course a previous, conscientious, rust repair has seen the door totally repainted inside and out).

However this method has logistical difficulties for Dano since the all the paint has been removed during the preparation process.

By now, you may get the drift of what I'm saying and why close approximation which a pendant would consider "second best" may a valid option.
    Last edited by robmac; 6th November 2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Grenouille likes this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Is it possible that some Oz assembled cars were painted in nitro?

Heck, solve the dilemma once and for all by painting it green.
    Grenouille likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    Mike T if you're listening-
    do you see the same variation in Canada / US?
    In France and Italy (C models) there were different suppliers for the same colours of paints, such as Bollig, Ducolax, Italver and many others. I suspect they all were slightly different even though the numeric codes were the same. On the French/Italian built 404s, there is a painted code on the inner fender for the colour, the first two letters being the particular supplier.

But I've never known enough white 404s out here to know for sure. I know though that the red ones and metallic ones faded horrifically. My late Dad had a 1966 brown metallic Injection sedan and it faded incredibly fast. But as for the original colour variation when new, I don't know! Sorry I couldn't help out.
    Grenouille likes this.

Hi Guys,

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

You are all right, there are 101 varieties of Alpine White and I was just looking for a starting point, mainly because I don't have any panels or sections that are still white from the original car. All bits have been sand blasted as Robmac suggested. From memory, I think when I bought the car it had at least 55 different shades of white, mixed in with a bit of sky blue. And they say I'm colour blind, but the blue wasn't even close.

I dropped off the sample pot to the young guy's dad today, so it will be interesting to see how close the sample is compared to their car.

Peter, call me superstitious, but I just can't own a green car...

Since we're talking paint codes and colours, any ideas on the cream of the European 203's. Just joking. The 203 will be matched to a model I bought off EBay, France. But that is so far off, it doesn't matter now. The model would have faded by then as well.

Cheers,

Dan
    Last edited by Dano; 7th November 2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Is it possible that some Oz assembled cars were painted in nitro?
    Not unless the paint label stating "Balm Dulon E type Acrylic Lacquer" and the color name and number was a load of porkies.

Good heavens not another AFer subscribing to conspiracy theories.

Should have called this thread "Can of Worms" Dan!

Rob,
    yep of course one cannot use a PC screen - that would be daft. & yep so true you have to be careful behind door trims - I do the whole door but most do not of course.

Mike,
    thanks yep I think you are spot on there - Aust cars have a slight problem with UV hence the reason they were all painted.
    I did notice the Alpine whites in Sweden & Netherlands seemed different so again maybe just different suppliers of the era.

I did spray up a card for you yesterday Dano but 5 minutes after the hail storms made it bloom... we have weather like Brisangeles just recently...

will do it again today once the humidity drops below 60% & wack in the post for you monday
    Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

I have a "Spartan" paints book which list the same colours for the Peugeot and Renault from 1967 to 1971 (obviously Australian assembly). Alpine White has the ident. No. 437-6761

Fellow Frogger!

Default Finding the original colour

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    Apart from this chassis plate label, does anyone have the list of colour by chassis number.
    Meaning chassis nbr
    xxxxxx1 to xxx1000 = White
    xxx1001 to xxx2000 = Maroon

Regards
    Daniel

Grenouille,

Thanks for the paint swatch.
    It is perfect, exactly the colour I am after. The majority of the car prior to stripping was this colour. Albeit faded and in need of a good polish.
    I know paint suppliers will be able to scan it, but do you have the tinting specs by any chance?

Once again, thanks heaps.

Dano

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Ah yes, the great paint debate! Dad and I repainted a 404 in the early 80's. We were amazed at the amount of red tint that went into the base paint. Alpine white is snow mit smog. The other white listed was an arctic white (which has quite a bit of blue in it)

From memory pugs in Oz were painted with nitro cellulose up to '66, and then acrylic. I think Dano's planning to paint the whole thing, inside & out, which is what I'm planning to do with several 404's I have hanging around.
    Dano and addo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by peugeotnut View Post
    Apart from this chassis plate label, does anyone have the list of colour by chassis number.
    Meaning chassis nbr
    xxxxxx1 to xxx1000 = White
    xxx1001 to xxx2000 = Maroon

Regards
    Daniel
    There is no such information - the cars were random colours. You would have to write to l'Aventure Peugeot to find out what colour it was when new. Or, read the painted code on the inner fender/wing in the engine compartment.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information