Forced cool air for a non-intercooled turbo diesel
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Forced cool air for a non-intercooled turbo diesel

Hi
    I have a 2004 Peugeot 307 diesel wagon 66kw 2.0 litre. It is not intercooled. Is there any performance benefit of having an insulated cold air intake with a K&N air filter? Any info would be awesome.
    Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Administrator

If its the engine with the air filter mounted on top of the engine, it couldn't hurt.

Most of the temperature would be added post compression, but if you can feed cooler, more dense air into the turbo, the compressor will be more efficient, work less hard and as a result will add less heat. But we are talking small improvements.

It won't compare to adding an intercooler, but with no other mods (boost increase/remap) adding an intercooler would just reduce performance.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    If its the engine with the air filter mounted on top of the engine, it couldn't hurt.

Most of the temperature would be added post compression, but if you can feed cooler, more dense air into the turbo, the compressor will be more efficient, work less hard and as a result will add less heat. But we are talking small improvements.

It won't compare to adding an intercooler, but with no other mods (boost increase/remap) adding an intercooler would just reduce performance.
    Thanks for your excellent feedback

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

Thread Information