Extractors for 205GTI
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Extractors for 205GTI

Here I am in need of guidance again. Can anybody tell me where I can get a set of extractors for a 205gti (87 model). thanks Lads, MAXIE

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    Here I am in need of guidance again. Can anybody tell me where I can get a set of extractors for a 205gti (87 model). thanks Lads, MAXIE
    Why

The stock exhaust is so good on 205's that any aftermarket systems always lose either drivability, power or both ... I remember reading a few years back about 205 aftermarket exhausts (some hidiously expensive and noisy), none of them could match a ***new*** factory exhaust on the dyno... That's right NONE of them, the bog standard 205 exhaust flowed better than the lot of them .

Why waste $$$ to lose power If you want to hear the power lost, it'll cost a lot less just to knock some holes in the resonator

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I had extractors on a modified 205 GTI, and yes there was a difference for the better, but in standard tune, I doubt it. If you must get extractors and a system, go to Exotic Exhaust at Jijaws St Sumner Park, and get them HPC coated. Looks good, saves some heat under the bonnet, and saves the pipe from rusting. Michael has made a number of extractors for myself and friends.
    On a Series 1 there is more to be gained in head work for probably less money. There are plenty of postings about this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    I had extractors on a modified 205 GTI, and yes there was a difference for the better, but in standard tune, I doubt it. If you must get extractors and a system, go to Exotic Exhaust at Jijaws St Sumner Park, and get them HPC coated. Looks good, saves some heat under the bonnet, and saves the pipe from rusting. Michael has made a number of extractors for myself and friends.
    On a Series 1 there is more to be gained in head work for probably less money. There are plenty of postings about this.
    Hello Alan, I suppose I should have rung you first anyway.I just took delivery of that GTI I was talking too you about, I have organised for a higher compression head from PUG wreck in Melbourne off a later model 405 that should be here next week. It is interesting to hear positive comments on the standard 205gti exhaust system. It looks like Shane L will save me some money, thank you Shane. MAXIE DAVIES.

Quote Originally Posted by maxie
    Hello Alan, I suppose I should have rung you first anyway.I just took delivery of that GTI I was talking too you about, I have organised for a higher compression head from PUG wreck in Melbourne off a later model 405 that should be here next week. It is interesting to hear positive comments on the standard 205gti exhaust system. It looks like Shane L will save me some money, thank you Shane. MAXIE DAVIES.
    Hi Maxie,

It was a UK magazine. I'll try to find it for you (no promises). You'll probably find the 205 factory standard exhaust is pretty much a work of art in itself They weren't just testing 'muffler's/extracters/etc... Were talking fully tuned full systems. Some had marginally more power at very high revs but lost out down low. Basically the factory exhaust killed 'em all (unless maybe you'll be using it for rallying in which case you'll spend most of the time at 5000+rpm). Please note the word ***NEW*** factory exhaust. I wouldn't be surprised if a new tuned exhaust system flowed better than a 20year old half clogged up factory system.

The 205 donk is basically just an 8valve BX/405 motor, I stongly suggest giving this site a good read. This guy really seems to know his stuff:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug2058v.htm

also, check out his 16valve info, this site is worth it's weight in gold to get past all the BS the local 'aftermarket' crowd might try to flog you

good luck!
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

God bless Dave Baker

I've heard very good things about the Magnex extractors and exhaust system.

Yeah all that stuff is great but useless if your not already getting 180Hp from the motor. The stocker flows great up to 200Hp (Dave Baker) why spend money on something that's already flowing well.

The sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Yeah all that stuff is great but useless if your not already getting 180Hp from the motor. The stocker flows great up to 200Hp (Dave Baker) why spend money on something that's already flowing well.

The sound?
    I agree with this. For any 8 Valve 205/405 or Bx i think the best and most cost effective solution is to use the standard manifold, a hi-flow cat (V6/8 commodore) and no bigger than a 2.25inch system with straight through mufflers.

Dave

Edit: Darren and I are lucky as we own private imports that do not and are not required to have catalytic convertors installed
    Last edited by Dave; 26th March 2004 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I agree with this. For any 8 Valve 205/405 or Bx i think the best and most cost effective solution is to use the standard manifold, a hi-flow cat (V6/8 commodore) and no bigger than a 2.25inch system with straight through mufflers.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

your missing the point, if you put straight through mufflers on you'll stuff it all. It won't flow as well, and you'll lose considerable torque down low, with maybe small gains at extremely high revs that are never attained.

The factory system IS the best. Fully tuned systems don't quite match it, how can random flow through mufflers and different pipe diameters picked at random come close to a factory system that has obviously had HUGE $$$$ put in to at at the time of manufacture

All you can do is hear the power that's lost

BTW: I don't know if the BX factory system is hugely great (I'm betting it's quite good though). It's the 205 system that I've heard rave reviews about in the past.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane,

I understand that the 205 system is great as is. This is just a cheaper solution than having to buy genuine parts once the cat dies and the exhaust needs replacing. Also i would only bother doing this if the rest of the engine is modified to be making a fair amount of extra power.

Dave

I know a good modification 4 when the cat dies!!

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 101224" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Luca</TD><TD class=alt2>I know a good modification 4 when the cat dies!! </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    My car is a private import so there is no cat to die!!
    I wouldn't reccomend removing a cat if your car has one standard. Could be very expensive if you get caught (ditto punching it out).

Dave

U've got a point Dave but if the cops pull me over 2 do a canary they're not gonna jack my car up, putthe overalls on and start examining the cat. I hope.

U've got a point Dave but if the cops pull me over 2 do a canary they're not gonna jack my car up, putthe overalls on and start examining the cat. I hope.
    I agree that it probably would not be found out by the police themselves. However if you ever did get a defect notice you should make sure you have a working cat before it goes over the pits because the mechanics that check the car over are probably a bit more clued up about this sort of thing.

Dave

Have 2 agree with u there Dave.

I'm lucky in the sence that there's more cars here in Melb that yell "LOOK AT ME" (like the yellow turbo VLs and Jap imports) than the . It's a bit of a street sleeper.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Have 2 agree with u there Dave.

I'm lucky in the sence that there's more cars here in Melb that yell "LOOK AT ME" (like the yellow turbo VLs and Jap imports) than the . It's a bit of a street sleeper.

don't ever think that

i used to get pulled over in a near standard 504 TI

they even slapped me once for a noisey exhaust but that was to expected

the car looked standard except for maybe a little more camber than normal so they will pick on anything they like really

i even got pulled over once in a 403 on my way to tafe once and it was bog standard bar the 404 wheels but they wouldn't know that so work that out
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

It's the cops in your area dude they must hate Pugs.

Let me put it to you like this.... I'm driving... the guy in the hotted up Nissan ET Turbo is driving... the cops are driving.... u know the rest of the story. I go home a happy booooy.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

It's the cops in your area dude they must hate Pugs.

Let me put it to you like this.... I'm driving... the guy in the hotted up Nissan ET Turbo is driving... the cops are driving.... u know the rest of the story. I go home a happy booooy.

this was down on the southern highlands around bowral when i used to live there

i haven't been pulled over and checked out since
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

gotta love em

Some time in the distant future, i'd like to build my 205 up to 180 hp so i can own a 205 rc 180. Should smash the 206 due to its light weight and torsen diff.

What's required to get the aus spec car up to the uk spec? Mine's a S1, so it would have to get a new thinner head, a new cam, and a modified ecu? There's also the cat... but im sure a slightly bigger cam could suffice with countering the power lost from that. Are the pistons/crankshaft different?

Then that torsen diff (to cope with the power), some nice big throttle bodies, a bigger cam, and then some exhaust work.

Oh, then it'd need new badges

Thread Information