Chinese shock absorbers?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Chinese shock absorbers?

Default Chinese shock absorbers?

Why would anyone want to fit Chinese shocks onto a French car?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese shock absorbers?-dsc02972-copy.jpg  
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

VIP Sponsor

Where's NAFTA?
    Would still be a lot better than the host of cheap no name Chinese shocks flooding the performance market.
    I would also hope they would be a lot better than the woeful B4 Bilsteins that ARE made in Germany.

VIP Sponsor

Where's NAFTA?
    Would still be a lot better than the host of cheap no name Chinese shocks flooding the performance market.
    I would also hope they would be a lot better than the woeful B4 Bilsteins that ARE made in Germany.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Where's NAFTA?
    North American Free Trade Area -- Canada, US, Mexico -- in this case it's probably Mexico. China doesn't seem so bad does it?

Have fun,

Rob.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    Why would anyone want to fit Chinese shocks onto a French car?
    G'day,
    for the same reason they fit Chinese tyres, Happy Day or Happy Family, or whatever they are called. Something like that.
    BIGRR likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Not "Longrun" tyres?

Icon6

G'day,
    someone at the FCOTKD had some, can't remember the exact name. Perhaps BIGRR can remember.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Chinese shock absorbers?-dsc00475.jpg Good Friend!
    Tom_95 likes this.
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v

Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

I think that Good Friend will turn on you like a hungry grizzly bear, given a chance
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Need to be re-branded "CHAVER"...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett
    I think that Good Friend will turn on you like a hungry grizzly bear, given a chance
    In that case, you'd need to fit a set of Run Fast or Run Long to your own feet!
    Last edited by addo; 8th November 2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Lasya and BIGRR like this.

Chinese shock absorbers?-holden.jpg
    John G D. and citroenut like this.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Need to be re-branded "CHAVER"...

In that case, you'd need to fit a set of Run Fast or Run Long to your own feet!

G'day, I hope you mean חָבֵר and not "Biggest ****ing scum bags around you usually find them wearing rockports,berghaus coats (even when it is the middle of summer)and there realy ****ing stupid burberry cap that hangs off the back of there heads. you can find them on every street corner drinking white lightning asking people for money or tabs. just over all ****tards!!!" attr: Urban Dictionary: Chaver
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Yes, I didn't mean chav scum. Still miss that original website from ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by loopie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holden.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	76683
    I can't really see how this post furthers the discussion or helps the thread
    Dano, BIGRR and JohnW like this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Not "Longrun" tyres?
    "Longmarch" truck tyres, because when they fail it's a Long march home.

Brendan.
    addo likes this.

Then there's always Goodyear.

If they last the whole year it's a good year.
    JohnW likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Returning to the question: why on Earth wouldn't one fit Chinese dampers to a French car?

I can think of one monumentally stupid reason: being mindlessly tribal about French-ness (like those dills who will only fit Michelins, no matter how poor their performance, just because they're Michelins).

I can think of another reason which I don't share but which motivates some people (especially owners of older "classic" French cars); namely: Chinese dampers are not original equipment & I want my car to be as close as possible to how it originally came out of the factory (with every fault & design idiocy faithfully reproduced).

For my own money, it is irrelevant to any consideration important to me where dampers are made; what is important is their specification & their quality of manufacture. Of course there is rubbish around (some made in France) but I'd be confident that dampers made by Bilstein (no matter where made) wouldn't be members of that set.

I'm interested in tyre performance & generally critical of Chinese brands' capabilities but I also think that that is a fast changing space & can imagine quite happily fitting (by then) class-leading Chinese tyres to my toys in 5-10 years' time (assuming that I haven't carked it) - much as I have fitted Japanese ones & considered fitting Korean ones (& recommended that action to others).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 15th November 2015 at 09:51 PM.
    lion5 likes this.

my Gedore spanners don't even say 'Made in Germany' anymore, probably because they aren't, but when the forge is the same, the press is the same, the materials supplied are the same the workers are all trained and the quality process is controlled by ex-workers from Germany the spanners are still Gedore..

VIP Sponsor

I agree but just don't buy Bilstein B4s!
    As a further example of what you saying I have a 10 /11 mm ring spanner made in India, for 30 years it has been my favourite spanner, not where its made but how its made.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Returning to the question: why on Earth wouldn't one fit Chinese dampers to a French car?

I can think of one monumentally stupid reason: being mindlessly tribal about French-ness (like those dills who will only fit Michelins, no matter how poor their performance, just because they're Michelins).

I can think of another reason which I don't share but which motivates some people (especially owners of older "classic" French cars); namely: Chinese dampers are not original equipment & I want my car to be as close as possible to how it originally came out of the factory (with every fault & design idiocy faithfully reproduced).

For my own money, it is irrelevant to any consideration to me where dampers are made; what is important is their specification & their quality of manufacture. Of course there is rubbish around (some made in France) but I'd be confident that dampers made by Bilstein (no matter where made) wouldn't be members of that set.

I'm interested in tyre performance & generally critical of Chinese brands' capabilities but I also think that that is a fast changing space & can imagine quite happily fitting (by then) class-leading Chinese tyres to my toys in 5-10 years' time (assuming that I haven't carked it) - much as I have fitted Japanese ones & considered fitting Korean ones (& recommended that action to others).

cheers! Peter

If China made Peugeot shocks, count me in. All other brands are shyte in a Peugeot...
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Icon6

cheers! Peter
    G'day,
    one other reason. When entering a Concours d'Elegance, some clubs, but not all, insist on every nut and bolt, paint colour and every thing else being totally original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concours_d'Elegance
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

For my own money, it is irrelevant to any consideration to me where dampers are made; what is important is their specification & their quality of manufacture. Of course there is rubbish around (some made in France) but I'd be confident that dampers made by Bilstein (no matter where made) wouldn't be members of that set.

cheers! Peter

cheers! Peter
    .[/QUOTE]

In about the early '90s, I remember asking a client about the wisdom of importing various engine components (bearing, sleeves, pistons etc) from certain unreputable countries and he said "look, if you specify, you can get any quality you want". This largish company used to recondition things such as truck engines and were reliable.

I also recall looking inside a not working TV some years ago that was made in China. The soldering was of the standard that I produced the first time I used a soldering iron. In other words, it was awful. Things have changed since that TV episode and China now produces well soldered stuff!

Are we selling the Chinese short? Yes, no?

I think the Quality Chinese stuff is 10 years off yet!

Not like the "Japanese Junk" made 60 years ago, it took them 30 years to reach Top Quality! Remember when we steered clear of made in Japan years ago? (Though at least they were game to brand where it was made on their efforts!).

I just find it a bit hard to pay top dollar for Top brand shocks made in China (At this stage).
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v

Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

I have issues with the blatant piracy.

Been looking at AC hose crimpers, the Mastercool kit is being shamelessly copied for about 1/3 the price. That's not how you build long term confidence, drawing everyone into criminal complicity by dint of their chasing a bargain.
    BIGRR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I agree but just don't buy Bilstein B4s!
    As a further example of what you saying I have a 10 /11 mm ring spanner made in India, for 30 years it has been my favourite spanner, not where its made but how its made.
    Jahlani?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information