306 ventilation fan not working
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TrinityJayOne

Thread: 306 ventilation fan not working

Default 306 ventilation fan not working

My daughter's 306 ventilation fan has stopped working. The fuse is till OK, but fan doesn't do anything. Any ideas as to the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

The brushes wear, you can change them. Also have A look at the wires that supply power to the motor as they can get hot and their connectors become ineffective.

Recently my fan (and air cond) has died a couple of times. Seems to be a faulty connection in the fuse box, or possibly a dodgy relay. I re-seated the fuse and pulled a couple of relays out and put them back in and all good.

Mine has started to make nasty squeaking noises, dry bearing I guess.. Anyone know how big a job to get the motor out? It's not dash out like the heater core is it??

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

About 5 minutes and a screw driver. Lives behind the bottom glove box above the passengers feet.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

No point making a new thread on this....guess what's just died in my 306

Well, not sure about what happened to OP exactly but it's not just my fan, the entire thing is kaputski. Fan doesn't work, temperature stepper motor doesn't work, A/C and recirc lights don't function. The controls still light up when headlights are on so I guess that's a different circuit. Surrounding controls are still working, ie hazards, cigarette lighter port, radio. Nothing smells burnt out in the fusebox, however a day or so ago I did detect a whiff of magic smoke through the vents. At that stage everything was still working so I just ignored it!

Given the entire thing has stopped working it seems unlikely to just be the motor, unless the entire panel is wired in series with it which seems a bit silly (even for the French ). The burning smell was definitely coming from the vents though. Where should I look first?
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

I'd start with the Heater control panel. They give about as much trouble as the fan.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

EDIT: Nevermind, found a guide on removing it. I'll have a go but not sure if I'll be able to do much unless the/a broken component is obvious.
    Last edited by TrinityJayOne; 31st October 2015 at 03:20 PM.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Fellow Frogger!

Think I found the culprit...

Fitted the relay next door and turned the ignition on just long enough to test motor was blowing, A/C compressor engaging, etc. All good there. Given it all works, am I safe to pop in a fresh relay or is it likely to just blow a new one again fairly quickly? I'm going to give the blower motor a clean as well, if I can find the thing. Where exactly in the passenger footwell is it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 ventilation fan not working-dsc_0031.jpg  
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Wow. That's well cooked. How old is it? 15 years? 20 years? I'd slap a new one in and see how it goes.

Much easier than the fan control unit with its transistors.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Oops motor was staring me right in the face. Tested it with a 9V cell and it's working, though it doesn't spin as freely as I'd have thought. I gave it a clean as best I could with some WD40 and popped it back in the housing, only to find it wouldn't turn without help. I think unseating then reseating the motor terminals to the housing has made for dirty connections, or one/both of the wires have partially broken from being moved around, as once removed from the housing again it ran normally. Might be worth just re-wiring it with fresh wire and terminals.

I was thinking of replacing the relay with one of these, with the fuse swapped out for a 25A one.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Consider a 40A Narva relay with 8mm spades on the contacts, and a new matching socket. I would solder splice and heatshrink the wiring some distance from the relay socket.

Fellow Frogger!

Had another go at the motor this morning but with a new 9v battery - worked fine. Maybe the other one had just dropped voltage or something. Either way, I've reinstalled it and put in the relay I linked in previous post. Might I add that for a big bugger like me it's a pain in the arse to squeeze into the footwell for any chance of seeing what I'm doing. I nearly cracked the shits and just took out the passenger seat! Got there in the end and all working fine, although I noticed that even after a 10min drive the relay is hot to the touch. Not sure if that's normal or not, but I noticed that the green one to its left (whatever that's for) gets a bit warm too.

Addo, are you saying the relay socket board is modular? I didn't really pay to attention to it when I was under there. The only issue with rewiring under there is that I'd have no power for soldering! Even running an extension cable out a window isn't really doable where I live. I used to have a cordless Weller but binned it, the thing was a piece of shit.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

given that it didn't blow any fuses, I'd say the relay failed from ether A: a poor contact inside the relay itself causing excess heat or B: poor contact on the spade terminal causing it to heat up.
    Given that the melting appears to be around one spade terminal specifically, I'd say B.

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    About 5 minutes and a screw driver. Lives behind the bottom glove box above the passengers feet.
    thanks I should probably look at sooner rather than later then

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

Tony, be aware that there's a total of four screws holding the thing in place - two towards the front of the car, and another two towards the rear that are a complete bastard to see. There's some fascia and a big metal bar in the way which has a bolt right below the blower motor. I undid it hoping to get better access, but that bar appears to be connected to the entire dashboard so I thought better of it and replaced the bolt.

This is of course assuming it's the same between N3 & N5 models.
    Wintermute likes this.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Thanks for the heads up on that TrinityJayOne!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information