205 - XU5M Timing Belt Identification
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 - XU5M Timing Belt Identification

Hello all, I'm a new arrival and ready to nag everyone about common things.

Recently, I bought a 1991 205 Si, and am in the process of preparing to give it a major service.

205 - XU5M Timing Belt Identification-dscf0886.jpg

My first question is; is it easy to differentiate what sort of timing belt tensioner it has?

I'm reasonably confident it's the spring loaded type (the build date of the car is Oct 1991, and as far as I'm aware it's '92 models and onwards that come with it) but am not 100% positive.

Advertisement

Being that it's an XU5M, I'm not sure if it's different to XU5Js in that regard.

tl;dr got the actual method for doing the belt downpat, but need to identify tensioner type

Lastly, the workshop manual recommends stopping the starter motor ring gear in order to remove the crank pulley bolt, but is it safe to use a rattle gun to do this job instead?

Thank you for your assistance!

To identify the type of tensioner the lazy arse way (without taking the timing cover off), look at the back of the engine block (the exact opposite side to the engine type id plate, you know, the little tab with "BDY" and a number on it), right next to the head bolt with the thick spacer under the head, above the water pump pocket casting. You should see there the big nut and the end of the cam release bolt protruding. If you do, then you have a spring type tensioner.

Or you can of course take the top timing cover off - the metal part (or plastic on very late models? correction?) - and have a look down the opening with a flashlight.

I don't see the difference in using one or the other type of tensioner and (without having actually tried) I would hazard a guess you'd be able to use either, just not sure if you need to get a different length belt (might come with the kit) or need some little doodad that your engine might not have but can be found easily (I am thinking some sort of bolt, spacer, stud, who knows). As far as the block casting is concerned I didn't manage to spot any differences.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

After having a poke around the engine bay, I saw this and had a feel. This isn't my pic, but identical to what I saw.

205 - XU5M Timing Belt Identification-dscf21090.jpg

I'm 99% sure now, but just to confirm, this is of the spring tensioner type, yes?

If so, it's time to order bits.
    Thanks again for your help!

Yep, that's it. Well done. Get a kit, that comes with everything.

Oh, by the way, get a water pump as well, you don't want to go in there again when the pump fails.

One more thing for the young players.

Don't drop the crank accessory pulley, because they like to chip very easily (cast steel).

Don't brutalise (read force out) the crank timing belt pulley with anything made of metal. They like to chip because they are cast steel as well. And don't drop it either, so on.

If either of these is a barstard to get out, time to break out the WD40 and play the waiting game. They'll come off eventually, just need to be patient. Both should literally come off by hand once the gunk is washed and they're soaked well in wd40.

Check if you need a camshaft oil seal and a crank oil seal while you're in there (don't wanna go back in yadda yadda).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information