Flagging Peugeot Sales
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Flagging Peugeot Sales

Default Flagging Peugeot Sales

In a country which sells (according to many sites) over 1M cars annually, does anyone understand why Peugeot sales have flatlined (and dropped)? Porsche are outselling Peugeot so far for 2015. Peugeot are, according to Car Advice's figures, under 4,000 this year - even with the 208 and new 308.

Advertisement

Is it the ordinary (and often poor) post sales service? The reliability issues which seemed to hit Peugeot with their 307, 607 models which have tarnished their brand? Is it that the upmarket German, Swedish and British marques are entering traditional Peugeot / Citroen hatchback territory? Is it that they didn't jump into the burgeoning SUV market quickly enough? I often wonder why Peugeot didn't bring the AWD Mi16 and some 405 AWD variants here? (Look at how the AWD Impreza/WRX put Subaru on many people's shopping lists after their practical, but dull Leone / Brumby models of the 80s).
    Just curious...
    Thanks.

Icon6

G'day,
    lack of tv advertising, perhaps ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

door hinges

It's about perception. They may have won the performance and handling stakes. But they have a long way to go to demonstrate reliabilty, low ongoing maintenance cost and good resale value.

When Korean competitors offer 7 year unlimited Ks warranty and Japanese appliances have legendary (perception) reliability and excellent resale. And many marques have Roadside Assist and capped serving as well.

Peugeot need to work a lot bloody harder to take market share.
    andrepug likes this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

This is exactly what happened to Peugeot in North America. Outsold by some exotic carmakers, then gone for 26 years....and counting....

The reasons are likely similar.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

AL4 issues are probably just one of the reasons why many see Peugeots as unreliable. Look what the overheating issues did to the Triumph Stag.

Todays market is so competitive that you simply can't afford to make anything dodgy, and if you do, don't expect that your past reputation will mean anything.

These days, most people don't have the allegiance they once had towards a brand (except maybe Apple) and will switch if they think they'll be better off.
    Berridale likes this.

Also the fewer new Pugs there are the less word of mouth, or these days word of Twitter and Facebook because with younger buyers if it's not in social media it doesn't exist or at least it's not cool. Oh, and I fear Peugeots are no longer Pugs.

Tadpole

From my perspective I never saw the value in a Peugeot up until the 208GTI. Even then it had to be second hand and already had the massive depreciation to tempt me to buy one. There was just too many other cars out there that were equally as good, cheaper and easier to get work done to if needed.
    Going by the crap service I am getting by one of the Perth dealers at the moment it will probably be my first and last Pug. I know I am not the typical Peugeot enthusiast but I probably do represent the larger population and what they want in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbuck View Post
    Going by the crap service I am getting by one of the Perth dealers at the moment it will probably be my first and last Pug. I know I am not the typical Peugeot enthusiast but I probably do represent the larger population and what they want in a car.
    I'm probably in this category. My local dealership are utterly useless and seem to know very little about the common problems that popped up with 207GTi even though they are well known with a little basic research. I would have to say if hadn't found a local Pug expert that actually knew the car and the common problems some of them had then I would have sold it already. Sime Darby are another reason I wouldn't buy a new pug, bunch of arseholes from my experience interacting with them.

The dealer experience is certainly dismal which is a shame as in my experience the quality of the product has certainly improved, our 2010 Partner HDI has not had one issue in 87,000 kms. There seems to be greater TV advertising for some models ie new 308.
    Citroen now offers long warranties ,obviously in an attempt to reassure potential customers, why doesn't Peugeot do the same?

Fellow Frogger!

I was recommended to the Peugeot dealer with the harbour bridge in the front yard as i was after some trailing arm bearings.
    You never know until you try how good or bad a dealer is.
    It was a waste of time , unhelpful attitude and that person gets paid to serve.
    Your wages get covered when you make money for the business. Maybe they don't know this?
    Last edited by Berridale; 18th October 2015 at 11:06 PM.

Sime Darby is the problem! Sales have been sliding south ever since they took over! Plus, no advertising and here in Adelaide, there is one dealership! Actually, it's the only dealership in South Australia!

Just look at what they're doing to Citroen in Australia, pricing the cars out of the market, so to make sure no one buys them!
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Some valid points. I still think they're prices aren't too bad - considering what Renault are putting on some of their RRP stickers. Mind you - Renault have now established themselves as the premium French brand (with their halo-car, the Megane) and Peugeot/Citroen have fallen behind despite some interesting and innovative models being released. Comparing like for like (engines, specs, accessories) many of the Peugeots aren't priced that far away from equivalent Corollas and Hyundais. Peugeot's new 308 and VW's Golf are pretty similar (across the range) in specs/pricing/equipment - yet there are more Golfs in my street than there are 308s in my suburb.
    I know a couple of people with little Korean appliances who have received over-the-top service: door trims coming unstuck and parts failing - yet Hyundai don't quibble or argue and replace it all with a smile. I guess a lot of it is all about perception.

Peugeot 308
    New Peugeot 308 RRP* Full Driveaway Current Offers
    308 Access 96kW e-THP manual $19,290 $22,553 $21,990
    308 Access 96kW e-THP automatic $21,990 $25,334 $24,690
    308 Active 96kW e-THP automatic $26,890 $30,381 $29,990
    Hyundai i30 1.8 Active Auto
    PRICING

Manufacturer list price (MLP)*
    (incl. GST)
    $23,240.00
    Metallic/Mica/Pearl $495.00

MLP with options
    $23,735.00
    On Road Cost (Statutory Charges,Dealer Delivery) $3,528.75

MLP with options Driveaway
    $27,263.75

But when Hyundai are dealing (with arguably more of what that end of the market want) i30 auto's at $19,990 driveaway (about $5k under the 308, they're going to do more i30's in a month than Peugeot can do in a year for the whole brand.

Hi Daniel

That cut-and-paste price above was the base price model + on-roads (and metallic paint, as it wouldn't let me select anything else), so it's pretty close.

I still think it's madness. The market needs smacking in the head, people do not require new cars so often as they imagine they "deserve" one and then back-justify the purchase with lame reasoning.
    robmac, STALLED, Berridale and 1 others like this.

well the Jeeps are selling like hotcakes, so it cant be the poor reliability!

i would say lack of that "cool/hip" image that Jeep, Volkswagen and Mercedes have. lack of advertising and being late to the SUV trend, like you said.

my 2 cents.
    Current fleet:

Toyota Yaris 2007
    Ford Falcon EL wagon 1996
    Nissan NX 1993

Previous:

Peugeot 505 SR 1985
    Nissan pulsar 1998
    Nissan pulsar 2000
    Toyota Corolla 1990

Fellow Frogger!

I see cars at the wreckers in Melbourne without a mark on them and they are ten years old.

Here is the cars by postcode survey results - where are the Peugeots?
    This is interactive so you can find out;
    http://www.theage.com.au/business/th...ml#interactive

Quote Originally Posted by Greencoupe View Post
    Mind you - Renault have now established themselves as the premium French brand (with their halo-car, the Megane)
    A subjective claim - but it's great that they are finally selling some cars. Being a factory importer seems to mean they have no cash constraints, which is a good thing for volume.

Quote Originally Posted by andrepug View Post
    Here is the cars by postcode survey results - where are the Peugeots?
    The Age appears to have limited the results to the top 17 or 13 car brands (depending on which dodgy graph you read).

There are around 50 brands on the Australian market - one of the most diverse in the world.

August and September were terrible months for Peugeot - it was previously on track to increase sales over the previous year - the first time since 2007. Lack of supply of some models (the current 208 is in runout) certainly hasn't helped. The 4008 is also down, but 308 sales are better than the previous few years.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

if you open this up in the above link you can find Pugs and other French cars and the numbers per postcode;
    INTERACTIVE On the road
    Search by location
    Search by make
    Type a postcode and hit <Enter>

Oops. Thanks, I missed that link.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

OK I'll tell you why there not selling from the trades view.

It's because there crap that's why. Simple. You all saw the the Top Gear special and in the year 2000 they decided to build crap cars.

206/307/308 totally destroyed Peugeot's reputation.

We said years ago when they first went to the body system computer BSi that it'll bite them. Well its has big time. Comm 2000 have biten them heavily not to mention unreliable engines and tranmissions.

Every day someone rings us about a comm unit, every second day a BSi unit. Constantly we get asked why the transmissions are so bad.

People, new to Pugs who bought one since 2000 will not go back.

Jeep advertise heavily and it works for them but I've never met anyone who'd buy another.

Renault on the other hand never have the same problems. Phase 2 (X84) Megane have electrical problems too but never expensive BSi and Comm units. Phase 3 Meganes (2009 on) are brilliant, the only calls we get are body panels from Panel shops (you can't blame the cars for that)

We get Pug and Cit dealers ringing up wanting engines / gearboxes for cars still under warranty.

Sorry to point it out, Im a Pug fan, I drive a 307 and have a 505 and a 403 on club plates but I couldn't recomend a modern Pug. All I can say to them is. If you want to do yourself a favor buy a Reno, if you want to do me a favor buy a Pug.

Sad but true. No one in the trade would recomend a S/H Pug and for us dealing with them unless there something special there very hard to sell. Now the bad reputation is out there it'll take a long time to wear off.

The new generation of 308 and 508 I'm told are very good and back to Pugs of old but it could be to little to late.

Now, I suggest everyone read this and delete it because we need to keep this to ourselves.
    Last edited by David Cavanagh; 23rd October 2015 at 01:26 PM.
    Dano, jo proffi, Alain and 7 others like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

It's hard not to agree with David's comments, particularly as he's in the trade.

Some may see motoring journalists including Top Gear reports as being biased and inaccurate but I reckon they're probably right on the money.

Today's car market is extremely competitive, particularly in Australia where there are so many makes available. If you want to around for a long time you'd better make sure your product is a good one.
    Melc likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information