Engine breather system p 407 2.o hdi
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Engine breather system p 407 2.o hdi

Lately i noticed that my car is losing oil faster then before,no smoking,could not find leak anywhere.Yesterday i find this pipe wery greasy i cleaned it but after few seconds it was greasy again and this gray sponge is ful of oil i think.I find out that it is engine breather pipe and it is connected to that pcv valve.What can cause this breather system to consumpt oil?Can this be fixed,can i open this pcv valve cap to see if it is bad or i have to change whole new engine top???Please help???
    It looks like this:

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine breather system p 407 2.o hdi-2015-09-23-14.01.15.jpg   Engine breather system p 407 2.o hdi-2015-09-23-13.58.48.jpg   Engine breather system p 407 2.o hdi-2015-09-23-14.01.26.jpg  

Is it possible the exhaust is becoming slightly blocked with age? That would increase pressure in the crankcase, and oil consumption.

Most of those type PCV units are plastic welded together, there is no way to service them. An aftermarket catch can, fitted in line, might be one way to reduce the pressure.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Is it possible the exhaust is becoming slightly blocked with age? That would increase pressure in the crankcase, and oil consumption.

Most of those type PCV units are plastic welded together, there is no way to service them. An aftermarket catch can, fitted in line, might be one way to reduce the pressure.
    But if this pipe is oily that would mean that the pipe is craked and it shold be under pressure for pcv to work corect,would changing the pipe resolve the problem?What you mean by bloked exhaust is that dpf or...?

1000+ Posts

The photos look like an oil separator. Diesels can develop enough pressure from blow by to push out a lot of oil vapour and mist. It's supposed to get trapped and cooled in that housing so it can drain back into the crankcase as a liquid. It's called a déshuileur in French manuals.

Later 2.0 HDI engines bolt the separator onto the side of the block. Is it blocked?
    Last edited by seasink; 16th October 2015 at 07:59 PM.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The photos look like an oil separator. Diesels can develop enough pressure from blow by to push out a lot of oil vapour and mist. It's supposed to get trapped and cooled in that housing so it can drain back into the crankcase as a liquid. It's called a déshuileur in French manuals.

Later 2.0 HDI engines bolt the separator onto the side of the block. Is it blocked?
    Dont know is it blocked,how can i check it?I just know that i have excesive oil consumption and only thing i find is this oily pipe,engine is very dry no leaking anywhere, no smoking at all,runs fine.
    As far as i know under this blackcap is a some membrane and it can brake so it lets oil through.I think this membrane works on a air inlet pressure through this pipe.It look something like this if i am wrong someone corect me please.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Tadpole

Find out this pipe has a large crack,took it off cleaned it and wraped with a duck tape very nice and tight to hold on until i buy new one.I am wondering could this crack cause oil consumption because of lack of pressure or something else.Help please!!!

Thread Information