306 S16 front suspension question
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pee Dubs

Thread: 306 S16 front suspension question

1000+ Posts

Default 306 S16 front suspension question

The lower control arms on both sides need bushing.
    If I release the rear bush mounts and then undo the bolts that hold the ball joint will it go sproing?
    Can I simply put a garage jack under the balljoint to support it while the lower control arms are disconnected?

Advertisement

Then, to push the rear bush on in the correct position is there any way to get the alignment correct?
    I'm not sure if the ones fitted were done correctly so I don't know whether to simply copy them.
    It's a series 1 95 model.
    Thanks.

It won't go sproing, but I suggest you uncouple the droplinks first.

Generally speaking, most setups are "neutral" (in terms of the bush torsion) when the lower arm - being longest - is effectively horizontal.

I cheated on the Berlingo (same arm, different balljoint) and fitted the polyurethane bushes that rotate on the LCA's spindle.

1000+ Posts

Where do we get these Poly bushes please?

I think Brett sells them now, the bloke in Adelaide.

Mine were the purple ones (sent in an effeminate pyramidal folded plastic miniature carry bag that looked like a floral soap gift-pack) from some English mob who have the skimpy girls at trade shows... Oh wait, I think that's every UK aftermarket business.

Got it after some Fleabay trawling - they were Powerflex. For the front eye bushes I used NOS genuine from LCS Louth. They were bastards to get out and there isn't a lot of flange to press the new ones in.

1000+ Posts

Thanks Addo, I'll look into it.

The alignment is important on those rear bushes if you're using rubber ones - if there's torsion on the bush because of incorrect alignment it will significantly reduce the life of the bush. If you look under the car as it sits normally you will be able to see the angle the LCA sits relative to the bush mounting, measure and mark this angle to press the bush on in the correct place.
    Note that undoing the ball joint from the LCA will likely make it difficult to get it back in and do it up again while getting the LCA back in place, removing the ball joint from the strut is probably a better idea.
    Also be aware to not pull the LH driveshaft out of the diff - you'll lose most of your gearbox oil if you do.
    Berridale likes this.
    Current: 205 GTI Mi16
    309 GTI16
    306 GTI6 (Ph3)
    406 HDi Wag

Project: 504

Previous: 106 Rallye (S1)
    206 GTI 180
    306 S16 (Ph1), & GTI-6 (Ph2)
    405 Mi16, & SRDT x2
    504GL
    CitroŽn ID19
    BX TZD
    Xantia 2.0

1000+ Posts

Thanks PD. I've come to the conclusion with some advice that it is really best to fit complete new control arms in their entirety.
    Sasic ones are sposed to last about 5 minutes and the S16 has different ones to standard 306.
    Does anyone know if the steering rack is standard for all 306 models? I have one complete from an N5 I think and would like to put it on the S16 which has a badly neglected rack with broken boots and leaking fluid connections. The fluid connections appear different but the spare rack has hoses still attached.
    While mentioning leaks there seems to be a fairly bad one coming down the back of the engine, maybe from the rear rocker box but can't see where at this stage. Could be the crank angle sensor or maybe even the dizzy?
    I was thinking as it needs a water pump and is such a nasty dirty little beast that maybe I should pull the mill right out to fix and clean the whole thing.
    It has the usual dud heater and the rear pipes look ruinous even with heater disconnected.
    There seem to be at least three leak sources but haven't identified the correct source so maybe a motor out could be a time saver.
    Your thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    While mentioning leaks there seems to be a fairly bad one coming down the back of the engine, maybe from the rear rocker box but can't see where at this stage. Could be the crank angle sensor or maybe even the dizzy?
    I was thinking as it needs a water pump and is such a nasty dirty little beast that maybe I should pull the mill right out to fix and clean the whole thing.
    I'd be trying the rocker cover first; from what I've seen, they leak more often from here. No dizzy to worry about; it's all ECU controlled with 4 individual coils lodged in the spark plug wells.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Thanks PD. I've come to the conclusion with some advice that it is really best to fit complete new control arms in their entirety.
    Sasic ones are sposed to last about 5 minutes and the S16 has different ones to standard 306.
    Does anyone know if the steering rack is standard for all 306 models? I have one complete from an N5 I think and would like to put it on the S16 which has a badly neglected rack with broken boots and leaking fluid connections. The fluid connections appear different but the spare rack has hoses still attached.
    Fitting new arms is the other option if that's economic to do vs replacing bushes. Can get cheap parts from Europe (buy reputable brand) but shipping could double the price! Should look like these ones Track Control Arm for your PEUGEOT 306 (7B, N3, N5) 2.0 S16 (152Hp)

All 306 steering racks should fit up the same even though hoses may be slightly different.
    Current: 205 GTI Mi16
    309 GTI16
    306 GTI6 (Ph3)
    406 HDi Wag

Project: 504

Previous: 106 Rallye (S1)
    206 GTI 180
    306 S16 (Ph1), & GTI-6 (Ph2)
    405 Mi16, & SRDT x2
    504GL
    CitroŽn ID19
    BX TZD
    Xantia 2.0

I second the rocker cover gasket. If you do it you should also do the spark plug well seals. I couldn't get any when I did my gasket and now have oil pooling around the bottom of my spark plugs... You can now get them (I got a set) from spoox Peugeot 306 S16 Spark Plug Oil Seal (1) - Spoox Motorsport not sure what shipping will be as I got mine along with a few KG of other stuff.

I've got the powerflex P-Bushes Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes in the rear of the arm and purple ones in the front, but I'd go black now... Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes

They now also have a black series P-Bush, but I think it is the exact same one as the original same price as well... Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information