Mi16x4 - How much right foot is too much for the centre diff?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Mi16x4 - How much right foot is too much for the centre diff?

Hello.

First post but I've been reading a lot!

I've just purchased a Mi16x4, it had blown a head gasket, the guy took the head off - then put all the bits in the boot and pushed it into his paddock... it's been like that for 3 years until I cam along to save it from oblivion. Sadly the engine is junk thanks to being open to the elements for so long (well it could be sorted but at a massive cost) so I've taken the cheaper option - engine and ECU out of a 2WD has been fitted (can be done - though I read here that the engines have different cams and ECU).

Now that I own one of these awesome machines (I've wanted one for years!) I have started reading lots about it and have naturally found all the talk of the weak centre diff (spline shaft is the culprit I believe?!). Well I don't want to chase extra HP with this car, the engine will stay as it is, but I drive hard and want to ask - how much right foot can these diffs take? Is it a real problem in everyday driving? How many Km's before they give out? or do they only fail when chasing extra HP through ECU / cam / injector changes / turbo etc?

Advertisement

Upgrade internals through ATD Performance. It will then be better than T16. Charles writes well in English, although I've never spoken with him. The input shaft is really only a problem in salty environments ie UK.

ATD Performance

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks Peter, ATD look like the business... a bit rich for my blood just at the moment though :-)

Thread Information