406 HDi alternator
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 HDi alternator

Towards the end of the last drive the Radio stopped responding to any controls and remained stuck on even after turning off the key, and the "battery charging fault" appeared on the multifunction display several times with the lamp illuminated in the dash. The battery was disconnected to stop the radio once parked and returning to it today all looks ok, the field winding is being fed current and the battery terminal voltage stayed between 12.5V and 14.5V under varying loads averaging 13.8V and steady at idle without changing loads.

Advertisement

Worrying is that there is a rattling and clunking noise coming from the alternator area, dead brushes? bearings on the way out? or is this the clutch?

Is it worth getting an Auto electrician on site to look at it? or just order a remanufactured alternator and fit that once it arrives?

This is the oddball 406 that is half D8 and half D9, but it looks like there are alternators that fit both/universal.
    406 HDi

A similar thing happened a few times with my 2001 D9 406 manual although I didn't get a battery charging (or any other) fault show up. I was able to get the radio to switch off by reinserting the ignition key and starting the car, and then switching off and removing the key a couple of times.

My starter motor failed at the same time and the radio problem hasn't happened since replacing it, ie starter motor, and also dismantling, cleanng up and reassembling the ignition switch - yet!

A subsequent check of the solenoid showed zero resistance to earth.

I've not seen too many bearings fully dead, what's your mileage? My 405 alternator (Mitsubishi) failed at 300K-odd from the brushes wearing to nowt. You could have a similar situation in the 406.

Fellow Frogger!

250k so brushes are a likely option, might be worth pulling it out for an inspection (and some photos of course). I've reconditioned small electric motors in the past so the only concern is setting the tension on the belt correctly when refitting.
    406 HDi

Isn't it auto-tensioned? At the mileage, your tensioner and idlers are going to be past their best.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Isn't it auto-tensioned? At the mileage, your tensioner and idlers are going to be past their best.
    Yes, its fully automatic tensioning and there are no adjustments at all for the offset or path through the hydraulic pump and alternator. The idler/tensioner were all done at the last timing belt change so they are still ok.

But to the pictures.
    406 HDi alternator-tension.jpg
    For a one person job the tensioner was held back with some string around a combination spanner, the pink colour is important to match with the Bianca white paint.

406 HDi alternator-above.jpg
    Once the belt is off and the hydraulic pump is moved out of the way there is enough space to remove the alternator out the top. The mounting bolts for the pump are behind the pulley and the torx head for the ratchet didn't quite fit in the space so an L "wrench" style torx tool had to be shuffled around through the access holes in the pulley. Extension bars for the ratchet handle were needed to access the bolts for the alternator.

406 HDi alternator-mountings.jpg
    The hole left in the engine bay once both are out of the way, showing the mounting arrangement on the side of the engine.
    406 HDi

Be warned that some PAS pumps have a "slip and grip" arrangement for accurate lateral positioning of the pulley. Make sure it's lined up before tightening mount bolts.

Fellow Frogger!

The rattle will be the clutch on the alternator
    It gets louder and louder at idle but quietens down under load
    The cost about $120 from memory and are easy to fit

Thread Information