Quick Shift
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Quick Shift

Tadpole

Default Quick Shift

Question with regards to the Griffith quick shift unit.

1. For those with the unit, which of the three 'notches' do you find works best?

2. Does the quick shift attachment do any harm to the gearbox? i.e. why did the manufacturer decide on the 'default' shift length, and would changing it reduce the live of the gearbox in any way? I won't want to mess the car up and be denied a warranty repair.

Advertisement

Cheers.
    Mark

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ean36

1. For those with the unit, which of the three 'notches' do you find works best?

2. Does the quick shift attachment do any harm to the gearbox? i.e. why did the manufacturer decide on the 'default' shift length, and would changing it reduce the live of the gearbox in any way? I won't want to mess the car up and be denied a warranty repair.

Cheers.
    Mark

the quicker the shift the quicker and harder the synchros have to work to enable smooth changes

it's just like ramming the lever harder but if you are careful it should be ok
    Last edited by pugrambo; 23rd March 2004 at 10:47 PM.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by ean36

Cheers.
    Mark
    Mark,

Depending on the year of your car - you may need to modify the QS kit - There is a pipe that the QS kit goes close to and may damage. If this is the case you'll need to cut the end two holes off and only use the closest one to the pivot point. This should reduce the shift length by about 25% or so.

That said - I have heard rumors that Griffith Engineering have changed the design of the QS kit - Not 100% sure but if you try the guys on the 206-gti Yahoo group ( http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-206gti/ ) they may have a better idea as I think someone has purchased a QS kit recently.

The default shift length is the same on all 206's (XT, GTi, etc) The GTi 180 is different however and uses a cable shift. It seems as though it's designed for the average driver. You shouldnt trouble your warranty by putting one on. Besides - it can be quickly removed

Hope this helps!

Michael
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Hi,

i've got mine on the middle position right now. i had it initially on the shortest one before, but it was just a bit too notchy ... i've found middle to be a ggod compromise. then again, a lot of people have had it on the longest throw and been happy with that. There should be a 'how to' on 206gti.net.

luan
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Thread Information