Peugeot 404 shocks
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 404 shocks

Hi fellas

Advertisement

When I bought my 404s a few years ago, I noticed that the one was a little heavier when you drive it and the other was super smooth, then I started investigating by driving other people's 404s and strangely none of them were as smooth as my one 404, they still drove very nicely though. Let me explain what I mean by smooth ride on my 404: It feels super light, the minute you press the pedal, the car has a particular pull, it's as if it springs just a little and it feels very good. I hope this explanation makes sense, English is not my first language. To date I have never driven any 404 that drives just as good. I then checked which shocks it's using and it was written Gabriel ADJUSTOMATICS, I don't know if these adjustable shocks improve handling in any way, could they be the reason? Could it be coil springs? As far as I understand mine still has the original coil springs

Shocks shouldn't affect ride comfort too much, unless they're extremely stiff racing shocks.

Most African 404s had the "low flexibility" suspension with rather stiff small diameter coil springs, but in most of the rest of the world, the 404 got the larger diameter and softer "high flexibility" suspension. Perhaps the other 404s you drove had the standard "low flexibility" suspension and your comfortable one has the high flexibility version.
    Last edited by Mike Tippett; 8th October 2015 at 02:20 AM.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Hi Mike, the higher diameter springs you refer to that the rest of the world got. Are they the same ones that are used by the 504?

I don't think they are the same as those of the 504. The Africa springs on the front have a diameter of about 12 cm (from memory) and the high flexibility suspension front springs are more like 18 cm in diameter. The rear spring diameter is the same but the Africa springs are stiffer due to thicker wire.
    Last edited by Mike Tippett; 9th October 2015 at 06:51 PM.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

thanx Mike

Thread Information