• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By robs
  • 1 Post By robs

Thread: 604 indicators

Fellow Frogger!

Default 604 indicators

Was driving the 604 into town yesterday and, half way there, the indicators stopped working. Not exactly pleasant lane barging my way around for the rest of the trip.

Hazard lights are still working (so flasher, globes etc. OK), and brake lights and wipers are working (so ignition switch OK). Fuses all look fine. I left the car garaged in town yesterday and will see what I can work out next time I'm in, but if there's a "common" fault, I'd be glad to know about it.

Plan is to investigate the indicator/horn stalk (horn is still working -- as were other people's yesterday arvo). Will hobnob with the wiring diagram too, but would be grateful if anyone has a tip about a connection known to occasionally work its way loose or whatever.

Advertisement

I've just realised the the ignition switch still might be the culprit. The wipers work on accessories, and the brake lights might too.

Have fun,

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robs View Post
    Was driving the 604 into town yesterday and, half way there, the indicators stopped working. Not exactly pleasant lane barging my way around for the rest of the trip.

Hazard lights are still working (so flasher, globes etc. OK), and brake lights and wipers are working (so ignition switch OK). Fuses all look fine. I left the car garaged in town yesterday and will see what I can work out next time I'm in, but if there's a "common" fault, I'd be glad to know about it.

Plan is to investigate the indicator/horn stalk (horn is still working -- as were other people's yesterday arvo). Will hobnob with the wiring diagram too, but would be grateful if anyone has a tip about a connection known to occasionally work its way loose or whatever.

I've just realised the the ignition switch still might be the culprit. The wipers work on accessories, and the brake lights might too.

Have fun,

Rob.
    My first stop would be hazard switch. The indicators may good after you operate it a few times.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't you know your hand signals?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    Don't you know your hand signals?
    I remember them -- not much fun at 90kph though, and is the guy you're moving in on in the left lane really going to see your signal waay over there? I have a suspicion they're no longer accepted in NSW anyway. My brother was driving his Nissan with blinkers on the blink, dutifully hand signalling. Policeman pulled him over and said "What the hell do you think you're doing?". At least he made do with ridiculing him, no defect notice.

And thanks robmac. Clicking the hazard switch a few times is nice and easy. Hope that's it.

Have fun,

Rob.

fuses

Fellow Frogger!

I would be sure that the fuses are ok . In my 405 i have blown the cigarette lighter fuse and this takes out the indicators as well as bringing up a charge failure light on the dash . None of these are related . Peugeot electrics strike again

Fellow Frogger!

The hazard switch is often the culprit in 504s and I guess that it is the same part and similar dodgy wiring. Also check the earth of the dash panel- this was also an issue in my 504.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I had checked the fuses -- looked good to the eye, and I gave them all a wiggle. Didn't have a multimeter on me so that's as far as it went. In light of the comments I'll change tack and go for the hazard light switch first rather than the stalk.

Have fun,

Rob.

Or just put a BMW badge on both ends and no further problem, add an X5 badge and the drama lessens.
    Brendan.

Fellow Frogger!

Finally got to look at this and, sure enough, it was the hazard switch. Kind of a wacky setup. When you switch on the hazards, besides connecting all 4 lights to the flasher it also connects battery power to the flasher's power supply. When you turn the hazards off, it breaks the connection with the lights and reconnects "accessories" power to the flasher. That last reconnection is what the indicators rely on and, through vibration or whatever, it got disconnected in mid-drive.

Because the car is in town, and in case I needed to go deeper, I made an easy to read schematic of the blinkers' wiring. I'll attach it to this post in case someone else might find it useful -- probably pretty close for 504s too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pee Dubs, peujohn and Doush_504 like this.

Wow, that wiring schematic is better than a lot of the original Peugeot ones!
    Current: 205 GTI Mi16
    309 GTI16
    306 GTI6 (Ph3)
    406 HDi Wag

Project: 504

Previous: 106 Rallye (S1)
    206 GTI 180
    306 S16 (Ph1), & GTI-6 (Ph2)
    405 Mi16, & SRDT x2
    504GL
    CitroŽn ID19
    BX TZD
    Xantia 2.0

Fellow Frogger!

Glad you liked it. Peugeot pack a lot of info into their diagrams and it's good that they do, but for day to day use they're hard work and I prefer something like that schematic. It took me more than an hour with magnifier (eyes aren't what they used to be) and pencil and paper to sketch it. Seemed worth spending an extra 20 minutes to draw it up on the computer for future reference, and to share here.

Have fun,

Rob.
    Doush_504 likes this.

Thread Information