• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By Peter C

Thread: 406 v6

Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 v6

Hello looking at buying a 406 V6 auto either coupe or sedan. It will be my son's first car.

Advertisement

What should I be looking out for mechanically, noting that Most are now well in the 200k km mark.

Are there differences any mechanical foibles between coupe it sedan?

Also thoughts on Transmission particularly appreciated. Are the ZF autos really that problematic? What's a reasonable life span if well serviced?

All input most appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, the ZF 4HP20 has a mileage to failure reckoned at around 160000km.

Unless said chap is mechanically sensitive and handy, I'd suggest the V6 is not the best choice of powertrain - risk of boiling it, being just one to worry about. What about a C5 instead? They're cheap as chips now.

Having owned a 406SV, I agree with Addo.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Why is the V6 more desirable in a C5?
    I have only had the V6 in Xantia and C5
    The ZF box is fine BUT MUST HAVE ITS OIL CHANGED REGULARLY
    I am yelling because the question seems to permiate this site

Can he drive a manual? My V6 is up to 360000 kms. The gearbox is still perfect and it's had a hard time! It's easily been the most reliable and easiest to drive car I've owned. I've taught two young ladies to drive manual in it and they both now have sold there auto cars and bought manuals.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

Default 406 v6

I agree with Cav. I've had 3 SVs and think they are great cars. Just keep them serviced properly.
    My current car I've owned for 4 years and it's been great. Just clicked over 160,000 km. Yes there have been some minor repairs - speed sensor, brake master cylinder and front brake hoses. The only known issue right now Is a slight leak in one of the rocker covers - a common problem with the early V6 motor - fix is now well known.
    If you buy one, get it checked out first
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Why do you want an auto?

I don't get it. Why an auto?

There slow, unreliable, uneconomical, boring, dangerous.

The only good thing about an auto is that you can text and drive much easier.

In my opinion P platers should only drive 2 litre manuals until they learn to handle a car, Unless they have medical reasons if the can't drive a manual they can't drive. Simple as that
    addo likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

406s are great, but getting on in age.

A nice early D9 2.0 manual would be the best bet. Improved safety over the D8, newer generation of motor etc.

I still miss mine. It's sitting in a garage at the moment with a flat battery
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

I don't get the idea that P platers should drive autos, either. In our day, only old women and nuns drove autos.

I also think that those who claim that roads are busier these days forget how busy they were way back.
    steelsprings likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Why an auto? They're slow, unreliable, uneconomical, boring, dangerous.
    Have you driven a modern automatic? I think you are living in the past.

The latest generation of autos are faster and more economical than the equivalent manuals. My wife refuses to drive manual so the daily driver has a ZF 8 speed auto in it. Much as I have traditionally hated autos, I have to admit that this is just an absolutely beautiful gearbox. Before that we had a Golf GTi with DSG, and I thought that was also a great gearbox - good enough as an auto to keep the wife happy, but when you want to play you can lock it in the gear you want and have exactly the same direct connection and control as a manual.

I would still always choose a manual for the sense of connection and satisfaction I think it gives. However, for most drivers the only reason not to go for a good auto these days is the extra cost and complication when they get a bit older. That said, I'm not sure whether the French have made a 'good' auto yet - and a 406 is perhaps more part of the old paradigm than the latest generation of autos...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Have you driven a modern automatic? I think you are living in the past.

The latest generation of autos are faster and more economical than the equivalent manuals. My wife refuses to drive manual so the daily driver has a ZF 8 speed auto in it. Much as I have traditionally hated autos, I have to admit that this is just an absolutely beautiful gearbox. Before that we had a Golf GTi with DSG, and I thought that was also a great gearbox - good enough as an auto to keep the wife happy, but when you want to play you can lock it in the gear you want and have exactly the same direct connection and control as a manual.

I would still always choose a manual for the sense of connection and satisfaction I think it gives. However, for most drivers the only reason not to go for a good auto these days is the extra cost and complication when they get a bit older. That said, I'm not sure whether the French have made a 'good' auto yet - and a 406 is perhaps more part of the old paradigm than the latest generation of autos...
    Ha Ha your dreamin. You don't know what I do for a living.

I'm going to start telling people. Don't blame me for the cost of fixing this modern crap, if your to lazy to press down a clutch pedal and move a lever then your going to pay for it.

Honestly, every day someone complains about modern autos. Even under warranty, we've had dealers looking for second hand transmissions for cars under warranty.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

I'm old and lazy and moving more into line with the vast majority of people that view driving as a chore. I am now a CVT convert after driving a few rental Corollas. Its not as good as a direct drive EV, but its a decent interim solution.

Its not a bad idea to start with a manual, but its certainly not mandatory - there is a lot more to driving today's traffic than balancing an infernal combustion engine's compromised design limitations against what you need the driven wheels to do.

But if there is a choice, start with a manual - its good brain training if nothing else. Get a 1.6 manual Megane 2 for the best safety bang for buck. I understand there is a cheap one going at a certain wrecking yard in Melbourne.

I think the keywords are "first car". It's likely to cop a hiding when Dad isn't looking.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I think the keywords are "first car". It's likely to cop a hiding when Dad isn't looking.
    Maybe. Or maybe they're like an ever increasing number of young people getting their first car because they have to and will never interested in hooning - hence a good stereo with an ipod connection, the tendancy to not break down and Dad paying for it are the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    And a v6 manual will do that nicely. Trust me on that! I haven't managed to blow it up
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

The current Commodore VF SV6. We're talking Mr Average 6 cylinder Holden will now do 0 to 100 in almost the same time as the GTHO Phase 3 the 70's.

The difference is the GTHO was a muscle car and you needed a racing licence to buy one.

Think of that next time your young P plater takes the family car out.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Don't blame me for the cost of fixing this modern crap, if you're to lazy to press down a clutch pedal and move a lever then your going to pay for it. Honestly, every day someone complains about modern autos. Even under warranty, we've had dealers looking for second hand transmissions for cars under warranty.
    I think we are in heated agreement. I would almost always prefer a manual to auto - even for city driving - and the cost of fixing a modern auto scares me (Fortunately I haven't had to yet - maybe because our daily drivers aren't French).

But you can't call autos slow and uneconomical any more. And if you've got a DSG, you can't even call them boring any more (But I think I WOULD call Haakon's CVT Corolla boring. You surprise me Haakon.)
    Last edited by Richard W; 1st October 2015 at 04:03 PM.

Thread Information