Suggestions for low cost entry (<$4k) to the world of Peugeot...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By marburg505
  • 1 Post By Valentia

Thread: Suggestions for low cost entry (<$4k) to the world of Peugeot...

Default Suggestions for low cost entry (<$4k) to the world of Peugeot...

Hello,

It's been a while since I've frequented Aussiefrogs and since I've had a pug (I had a couple of 306s) but I'm looking at flogging my current Swedish wheels which consumes significant quantities of 98RON. Anyone interested in a Volvo S80 T6? It has seat warmers...

Depending on what I can get for my current car (maybe $5k?), the plan is to look at something in good nick for it's age, that's fun to drive, reliable enough for daily driving when required and maybe have a bit of spare cash for tinkering. I do my own maintenance to keep the cost down.

The cars that potentially fit the budget are 406s/307s, which must definitely be manual and potentially diesel (never owned one before). Having said that I might be tempted by a 306 or even a 405Mi16 - used to have a BX 16v, so love the motor.

So my question is - given the choice of models above, what would be peoples suggestions? The mileages on the 406/307 diesels in my price range are at best 170k plus, so what's the life expectancy of these motors (assuming maintenance has been done 1.6L vs 2.0L?)

Advertisement

Cheers,

Chris

Cars For Sale / Wanted
    Neil Fischer in Wodonga has some cheapies 0427 212 532
    406 SRDT 160,000 $3000 Lance 0408 790 414

Does it have to be Pug? If you want something fun to drive for that sort of budget, why wouldn't you look at a Clio Sport?
    DanielBendigo likes this.

Tadpole

You won't get better fuel economy out of anything that old than a Pug diesel & the life expectancy is truck like- 500,000++ if looked after. 1200 k country, 900 city from 60 liters.

1000+ Posts

If you are looking at 307s, spare some time to check out the Citroen C4. The mechanical bits are the same.
    BIGRR likes this.

VIP Sponsor

Series 2 405 SRi, around $1000 then plenty of cash left over for tinkering.
    These are wonderful to drive, economical and in my experience very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    Hello,

It's been a while since I've frequented Aussiefrogs and since I've had a pug (I had a couple of 306s) but I'm looking at flogging my current Swedish wheels which consumes significant quantities of 98RON. Anyone interested in a Volvo S80 T6? It has seat warmers...

Depending on what I can get for my current car (maybe $5k?), the plan is to look at something in good nick for it's age, that's fun to drive, reliable enough for daily driving when required and maybe have a bit of spare cash for tinkering. I do my own maintenance to keep the cost down.

The cars that potentially fit the budget are 406s/307s, which must definitely be manual and potentially diesel (never owned one before). Having said that I might be tempted by a 306 or even a 405Mi16 - used to have a BX 16v, so love the motor.

So my question is - given the choice of models above, what would be peoples suggestions? The mileages on the 406/307 diesels in my price range are at best 170k plus, so what's the life expectancy of these motors (assuming maintenance has been done 1.6L vs 2.0L?)

Cheers,

Chris

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

my younger daughter bought a 1.6 petrol 307, ten years old with 96,000km for $4000 with registration and roadworthy. Been running fine for a year now, although I did have to pay for a new timing belt (about $50 from memory) as there was no sign it had been replaced. Fuel consumption is under 8.0l/100km and she is not that gentle on the throttle.

Look at private sales on gumtree - there are quite a few 307's around at good prices. Also look at the citroens as others have suggested.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - good to see there are a few options in the price range I'm looking at! I might need to head east for better value and a road trip home :-)

Yes, should include Citroen and Renault equivalents. I drove an early 405 Sri and from memory remember it to be quite quite torquey, compared to the 306 1.8l I had at the time... Really needs 4 doors so the kids can get in and out of it easily.

Cheers,

Chris

F/S 2003 Clio Sport 172

At $1500 neg, if you are good on the tools, you could get a good deal.
    Last edited by robmac; 28th September 2015 at 07:27 PM.
    addo likes this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

In my experience kids are supple and love nothing more than clambering all over the interior of cars, so 2 doors should not be a problem until they are tall! 4 doors more required when you need to get adults in the back...

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

Citroen Xantia, pref series 2.

1000+ Posts

Having done the clutch on my daughter's 307 1.6 and been told the 2litre is so much harder, I wouldn't buy one.
    But I like the 505 which may be a bit shabby but is a beauty and goes better than any modern front wheel drive piece of crap.
    If I had a budget of up to $4000 I'd be looking hard at the best of the older cars, back to a really nice 404 or paying that kind of money for a beautiful 504 that has been well looked after. I'd consider a good low mileage 406st having had 2, both of which died from our rough conditions, the first hydraulicked and the second from a wallaby hit which resulted in a broken timing belt as the tail got involved with the belt during the accident.
    I'd steer clear of other front wheel drive models, but that's me and I'm not you.
    I do however enjoy my Volvo 850GLT that I snared on Ebay for $162.50. That is a pretty cool car for the price, fully regoed with a spare car for less than a grand.
    Compared to the 505 though, it's inferior in handling and road feel. But as you are coming from a similar car, I tell you, if you want to get into front wheel drive Pugs as an alternative, you are wasting your time, the fit and finish of the Swede is superior, the electronics of the Swede is superior and the power is also superior.
    The only things that are going to satisfy you in the Pug range will be the 306S16 or later equivalent or the 405MI16 or one of the 205GTI /206GTI hotties and of those the first two will be in the price bracket, though reliability may not be as good as the Swede and fuel consumption will only be in direct proportion to capacity and driving habits.

1000+ Posts

406 D9 SV (3 litre V6). Beautiful engine, at 260,000km ours doesn't use oil or coolant. Proper rear suspension (unlike 307, with it's simple beam). Fuel economy on the highway surprising - 8.5l / 100 km.

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

What a great thread!

My own tragic story of re-entry to the wonderful world of Peugeot is the three specimens listed below for under $2000 (yes, that's for all three), new socket set, gather up all my various spanners...then join Aussiefrogs for free access to the Brains Trust
    Planning next project...
    307 Estate Daily Driver

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

The 2.0 HDi is a long lasting engine with examples running 500,000+ though you'd be looking at a clutch change around that point. They are cheaper on maintenance if you get one of the earlier models before they had DPF fitted, even though the timing belt interval drops from 180,000km and 9 years to 120,000km and 6 years.
    406 HDi

And don't forget, any car getting on in years will at some point also need a new starter motor, alternator, water pump etc.

Fellow Frogger!

We have two 406 Hdi sedans - 1999 and 2001 - both have done over 500K. I would recommend them to anyone, but I will not sell either.
    DanielBendigo likes this.

Why not a 405 Mi16? If $4k is the budget including tinkering money than this could be perfect for you.

1994 405 Mi16 - Canberra
    ducksonetime likes this.
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

Don't get a 307. Although some people here like them, they have a lot of problems. There is a reason that you see so many advertised for sale.

405 Mi16 or 306 GTi6. Bang for buck some of the best cars to be had, just chose your flavour, hatch or sedan.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    Current rides:
    '99 Honda VFR800 (daily)
    '02 Ducati 998 (weekender)

Current Project:
    405 Mi16 2.045L
    http://goo.gl/ha5jLL

Past rides:
    156 GTA
    https://youtu.be/HmKwwCwGrVg
    https://youtu.be/y-kgE4HyWzk
    306 GTi6
    405 Mi16
    Series 5 RX-7 TurboII
    E30 325i

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by marburg505 View Post
    We have two 406 Hdi sedans - 1999 and 2001 - both have done over 500K. I would recommend them to anyone, but I will not sell either.
    I had 2 x 406 HDIs
    I love them
    I do over 60000 km per year and the fuel economy is so unbelievable I won't tell you
    It is much better than the 16 valve version I have 3 friends who have them and can attest to about 900 kms per tank
    I said I wouldn't tell but I shall
    I get 1450 kms per tank on the open road and 1200 kms city driving
    70 litre tank
    I just sold one a couple of weeks back and the new owner has reported that he is impressed with the 406
    Both are D9s and so far have been totally reliable
    Unlike my late model Citroens

I tend to agree with luthier, BB. In your price range, you can pick up a really good 505 and experience driving the last real Peugeot.

Peugeot front wheel drives are just like other manufacturers front wheel drives. I purchased my original 85 505 Gti with a view to restoring it and will do so. However, this car is so enjoyable to drive, I am putting it off.

Good 504 prices are going through the roof, so think about the 505. Great value, great drive and easy to work on.

Best wishes for your next Peugeot adventure.

I second the GTi6. Not that I would sell mine, but there will be one for sale somewhere. So much fun.

Simon in Tassie

GTi6, 207GTi, 308 Touring

Thread Information