New 306 owner
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New 306 owner

Tadpole

Default New 306 owner

After flirting with rented pugs in Europe, I have finally bought my first one--a 94 306 XR (white)

It has been fine but I am looking for some advice on the following:

1. when changing up or down into 3rd, i get some harsh crunching--sometimes it doesn't even let me shift into 3rd then sometimes it doesnt happen for a few days. John Blair is Sth Yarra told me to get a recod box put in but surely there must be a more cost effective solution?

2. my a/c unit keeps switching on when it feels like it--any ideas why?

3. my keyless entry mechanism doesn't work--does a dealer have to reset or is there something I can do?

Advertisement

Any help or suggestions much appreciated

very happy pug owner, jimmyd.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd
    After flirting with rented pugs in Europe, I have finally bought my first one--a 94 306 XR (white)

1. when changing up or down into 3rd, i get some harsh crunching--sometimes it doesn't even let me shift into 3rd then sometimes it doesnt happen for a few days. John Blair is Sth Yarra told me to get a recod box put in but surely there must be a more cost effective solution?

3. my keyless entry mechanism doesn't work--does a dealer have to reset or is there something I can do?

Welcome Jimmyd!

1. Learn to double clutch. My 306XR 1994 did exactly the same. Cheap fix

2. It's call the 6 degrees of separation. You car has climate control. If the temperature inside the car is more than 6 degrees different to the temperature outside the car, the aircon will turn on to bring things under control Also, if you turn to knob to "demister" it will also turn on the aircon

3. Have you checked the battery? If you have, it's likely to be the key. Most 10 yr old 306's I've come across have worn out infrared keys. It's an ~$80 replacement, ordered by a dealer from France based on your VIN and a code behind the rearvision mirror. Actually, just one thing are you sure you're pointing the key at the rearvision mirror? The sensor is the little "tinted bubble" near the mirror.

Enjoy the forum!
    Derek

lol it took me 4 days to figure out what that bubble was, i thought the button on the key was for a little led light and the battery went flat.

of course 5 days after purchasing when i vacuumed the car i found the book under the seat in its holder, oh the grief it could have saved me

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Welcome Jimmyd!

3. Have you checked the battery? If you have, it's likely to be the key. Most 10 yr old 306's I've come across have worn out infrared keys. It's an ~$80 replacement, ordered by a dealer from France based on your VIN and a code behind the rearvision mirror. Actually, just one thing are you sure you're pointing the key at the rearvision mirror? The sensor is the little "tinted bubble" near the mirror.

Enjoy the forum!
    Derek
    Derek

I have a dead infrared key and was quoted $200 by Regans to have it replaced! Do you know of a cheaper supplier in Melbourne other than Regans
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

1. Check the gearbox fluid. Investigate different fluids. During one of the early services on my 306 the dealer accidentally put auto trans fluid in. It was great!

2. The aircon will switch on when you start the car or turn the demister on. Is that what you mean? Or is it switching on when driving after you've switched it off? It isn't supposed to do that.

3. Try taking it apart and putting a new battery in. Clean the contacts as well. If it looks a little rusty in there, it's probably been taken for a swim. In that case you'll need to replace the whole thing. See the dealer. Mine was $150 I think (for the later ones though, which were'nt infra-red)

HTH

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    Derek

I have a dead infrared key and was quoted $200 by Regans to have it replaced! Do you know of a cheaper supplier in Melbourne other than Regans
    Tell them they have to be kidding!! I had mine done at Northshore European cars in Brookvale Sydney for around about $80. I could find the invoice if you want an exact price. Tell them that, and see if they re-assess their price. If not, ring Peugeot and see what they say.

All you need is the black transmitter bit. You don't need the key (metal bit) itself because you just unscrew it from your old transmitter and put it on the new one.

I should have said Paul my mechanic put a Neo Racing transmission fluid in my car recently (200 000km life or something?) and it smoothened up the gearbox to no end.

Derek

Welcome to !

Yes, running full syntethic transmission fluid (same Neo stuff) in the my GTi6 helped smooth things up considerably. However, there was still a "fake" slot between 1st and 3rd there.

I'm impressed you found the manual so quickly. Took me 2 years! I went and bought a new one when I bought it! D'oh!

1. After having done all previously recommended, if it still crunches I would say it's your syncro(spelling???) or the teeth on the 3rd gear cog are worn.

2. Also prviously mentioned.....climax control

3. If previously mentioned doesn't recify your problem, I'd say that the key needs to be reprogrammed through the diag. If you do this make sure you take all your keys because they will all need to be done at the same time.

I bought a replacement key (minus blade) about 6 months ago when I was living in the UK. Pug dealer sold it for 62 quid I think (150 Aussie roubles). Bloody expensive for what it is. It is the infrared one.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Tell them they have to be kidding!! I had mine done at Northshore European cars in Brookvale Sydney for around about $80. I could find the invoice if you want an exact price. Tell them that, and see if they re-assess their price. If not, ring Peugeot and see what they say.

All you need is the black transmitter bit. You don't need the key (metal bit) itself because you just unscrew it from your old transmitter and put it on the new one.

I should have said Paul my mechanic put a Neo Racing transmission fluid in my car recently (200 000km life or something?) and it smoothened up the gearbox to no end.

Derek
    They mentioned that i would have to get the new transmitter keyed to the car electronics or something althoughit only takes a few minutes to do.I am hesitant to spend $200 so will give them another call to re-assess price.
    Bloody nuisance though having to use the key when I want to use the hatch or to open the door for a passenger
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    They mentioned that i would have to get the new transmitter keyed to the car electronics or something althoughit only takes a few minutes to do.I am hesitant to spend $200 so will give them another call to re-assess price.
    Bloody nuisance though having to use the key when I want to use the hatch or to open the door for a passenger
    Hi

I went thru the same thing recently with my wifes 306, the previous owner had lost the key and only had normal blanks cut. Melrose Peugeot wanted $118 for the key. $65 to find the infra red code, and another $65 to program it all when the key arrived from france in 6 weeks time. I went down to the local radio shop, and an hour later I had Keyless entry and alarm imob etc for $199 fitted. See how you go with getting a better price but if its still in that same area, consider the aftermarket option.

Ky

Tadpole

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    1. Check the gearbox fluid. Investigate different fluids. During one of the early services on my 306 the dealer accidentally put auto trans fluid in. It was great!

2. The aircon will switch on when you start the car or turn the demister on. Is that what you mean? Or is it switching on when driving after you've switched it off? It isn't supposed to do that.

3. Try taking it apart and putting a new battery in. Clean the contacts as well. If it looks a little rusty in there, it's probably been taken for a swim. In that case you'll need to replace the whole thing. See the dealer. Mine was $150 I think (for the later ones though, which were'nt infra-red)

HTH
    Thank for the tips and advice--will investigate and let you know the outcomes!!

1000+ Posts

Default I have the answer

Ok.
    On the 14/3/2002, I was invoiced by Northshore European Cars for $85.53 made up of

Part P6552TN TRANSMITTER (CDE REQ) for $70.65+GST
    Part P992680 INFRED KEY (BRUT) for $7.10+GST

Don't pay anymore than that!
    Derek.

Just make sure when using the central locking, you aim the key towards the rear-view mirror. All my mates think my central locking doesnt work but thats cause they are dodo's & aim towards the door.
    Last edited by purrr-geot; 23rd March 2004 at 11:41 PM.

I always find problems with my gearbox, maybe its a 306 thing...

The keyless entry on mine doesn't work great either a couple of knocks against something and it then seems to work ok.
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. 306
    I always find problems with my gearbox, maybe its a 306 thing...

The keyless entry on mine doesn't work great either a couple of knocks against something and it then seems to work ok.

i think mine is starting to lose some of it's range that it used to have

then again it still has the same battery that was in the key when i bought the car in '98

but it still works everytime i use it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i think mine is starting to lose some of it's range that it used to have

then again it still has the same battery that was in the key when i bought the car in '98

but it still works everytime i use it
    I opened up my key this morning and found 2 CR2016 3V batteries inside--are there supposed to be 2 batteries. They were a touch rusty which i guess indicates the key had been swimming--should I bother getting some new batteires or would the unit be ruined by the water anyway?

Icon14

I opened up my key this morning and found 2 CR2016 3V batteries inside--are there supposed to be 2 batteries. They were a touch rusty which i guess indicates the key had been swimming--should I bother getting some new batteires or would the unit be ruined by the water anyway?
    Get 2 new batteries, clean the contacts and give it a go. It will only cost you 5 bucks.

AND yes there are supposed to be 2 batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning
    Get 2 new batteries, clean the contacts and give it a go. It will only cost you 5 bucks.

AND yes there are supposed to be 2 batteries.
    I have CR2025 batteirs in my 306 S16 keys and after replacing them still no luck. I looked a bit closer and there's visible damage to the internal parts so I'm off to order a new one...

If it ends up too expensive to replace with orignal 306 remote (I mean if the remote doesnt fix the problem and it's something else. ) I will probably purchase something like this

http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/bro...uct=1003701496

I still got central locking (because when you turn the key both doors open) but it's annoying not having remote central locking

edit: this is the same thing with the jaycar kit afterall
    Last edited by slick; 16th April 2004 at 01:45 AM.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...Max=&SUBCATID=

would that kit work with the exisitng central locking in my car? - I dont know the first thing about installing it but guessing I'd figure it out.

I'll try first tomorrow to get the original keys redone at a dealer

this jaycar kit seems very well priced for what I need
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Thread Information