• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New member 203 question

Default New member 203 question

Good morning Frogs,

Quick background:

Advertisement

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I have a blue 1953 Peogeot Ute in my shed at home, it looks rather dejected and looks at me forlornly when i go in there, the good news is that the car is complete (has some rot though) and was driving about ten years ago. The story is that it was my friends car, he was using it as a daily driver around Brisbane until the diff siezed and he had the car towed and then kind of lost interest in fixing it.

To cut a long story short, i couldnt bear to see the car rust into the ground after the tarp blew off, so when he moved house we had it towed to my shed, where it is at least stored in the dry and its been there ever since. I'ts a bit vague in my memory now, but in order to move the car i had to remove the diff, which was in a very sorry state. I replaced the diff with another, equally knackered one so i could push the car around.

I'm not very switched on to finding spare parts, but i would assume it would be difficult to find a replacement diff for that model. From the cursory amount of research i have done it seems that the next model was the 404. Could some kind soul enlighten me to weather a 404 diff or any other for that matter would fit?

Many thanks,

Mike
    Demannu and okalford like this.

mike
    first - welcome
    second - just sell it to me
    no? sigh ...
    there was probably more development in peugeot drive train than the engines between 203 and 404
    (and you have overlooked the 403)
    also heavy duty variants for commercials, i.e. your ute.
    (btw; do you mean tray, or the local invention the 'style-side'? any chance of pics, numbers?)
    much more learned counsel to come, from - amongst many others - Commerciale, Graham Wallis, Dano or friday403 (handy too) is worth waiting for - but as I recall - there might be a couple of types that would bolt into your axle tubes and prop shaft if they can be found - so you've already been lucky, (again pics and no.s - help us help you)
    otherwise, how far do you want to stray from originality?
    these little trucks are rare now
    steven
    see: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...storation.html
    and i'm sure someone posted a nice crown wheel recently but can't find it
    edit
    69 404 restoration
    last of the worm-drive interceptors ...
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 22nd September 2015 at 12:38 PM.

Ha Ha, Thanks Steven,

I did reply just now but my post sort of evaporated, i'll try again.
    First apologies for rookie error, 403 after 203. The tray has drop down pressed metal sides and a somewhat rotten timber floor.

I will have to untangle it from all the kids bicycles and other detritus and have another look, i seem to remember my friend telling me that it had a side valve engine and low ratio diff, so i would imagine terribly slow on the highway.

I would be open to sensible modifications, i think the plan might be to get hold of any compatible diff for now and try and start the thing, that might be enough to push me over the edge to look at the extent of the floor rot and pick up a welding torch, from memory i think the body is in pretty good shape. Scant reading tells me that 403 engine will go straight in.

Will try to drag out from it's lair and photograph.

Edit.

Seems, not drop down sides, Tailgate only.
    Last edited by michaelriddle; 22nd September 2015 at 08:48 PM.

Don't recall 203s having a side valve head. Cross flow as per 403, 404, etc.

I had a quick look at the wagon restoration, astonishing is the word.

Now i think about it i did have a couple of Renault 5's in my late teens, the last of which blew up on the M3 travelling to London, (no offence to Renault fans) and I learnt to drive in a 2CV. might buy some fromage on the way home to get in the groove on this

happy to be corrected anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelriddle View Post
    I had a quick look at the wagon restoration, astonishing is the word.

Now i think about it i did have a couple of Renault 5's in my late teens, the last of which blew up on the M3 travelling to London, (no offence to Renault fans) and I learnt to drive in a 2CV. might buy some fromage on the way home to get in the groove on this
    An the 69 404 restoration of Dano's is something to behold.

no, it's engine's notability - in context - is not being a side valve and while ... well, gutless, it will serenely match traffic, rowing carefully, on all but long hills, and you can forget drags from lights, etc.
    original is just fine and best for posterity
    that said, see GRAHAM's posts for best engine modifications and you could see if Dano still has a disc brake front to look at ...
    is changing to coil spring and/or hypoid sensible?
    iirc a Windsor will fit and a Jag rear would be very visible ...

steven
    just the numbers under the bonnet can tell you what you've got and maybe where it came from.

Thanks,

I think at this stage I'd be happy to just get the engine running.
    I will post the numbers tonight and maybe a pic.

Hi folks,

I checked the numbers, there is a plate under the bonnet RHS:

McINTOSH MOTORS PYT LTD
    BRISBANE
    203U8 014

Under that small punched aluminium plate with:

Maybe some seasoned 203 aficionados can glean something from that?
    I ran my hands under the sills and my fingers went right through, I'll drag it out on the weekend if its not raining and take some photo's.

okay to go once more before dark? thats good but these are the ones that really count
    http://203.nicosfly.net/downloads/1p03.jpg

Ok,

I have taken cognisance of you're illustration and i'm going back into Steptoe's shed, with a torch this time.
    The black plate (shown) seems to be printed, an entirely warn off, i will check the other.

Back soon.....

Bad news i'm afraid,

Black plate all worn off, all i can make out is starts with 39.
    Other "strap" unfortunately missing.

I haven't looked at this car for years, now i see the problems, i think this could take some time and money to save it.

Hi Michael,

Firstly, what a classic vehicle you have.

Secondly, I can help you with digital copies of repair and parts manuals if you're interested. Also maybe where you might find a centre.

Send me a private message. The link is under the Nav Panel up the top of the home page.

The 203 I just bought was also sold my McIntosh Motors. If you look at 'Project Belle" within the restoration link you will find an entry by Seasink which has details about McIntosh Motors.

Cheers,

Dano

Thank you Dano,

I grew up in England (71 model) where they salt the roads and classics are notorious for rotting out.

I think a pragmatic approach here might be to drag the thing out at the weekend, take a range of clear photographs and put it to the forum to decide exactly how far gone this vehicle is, and take it from there. Matt (my oldest and dear friend) tried to sell the vehicle for whatever he could get in the local paper, and no one was the least bit interested.

All the best,

Mike

Fellow Frogger!

Default 203 ute

welcome Mike,
    try and keep your ute as orig as possible there are not many left. be nice to see some pics as it is

I have driven a mates restored standard 203 ute recently 200km, quite happy at 90kph(no load mind you)

I would not advise regular use in city traffic,

All 03s are too slow for most city drivers who want to be somewhere else an hour ago.

Your diff and rear axle will be interchangeable with 203 van, 403 ute and early 403 wagon , even these are

getting scarce, talk to Skip Verhagen if he is still in your area for parts or Barry Stannart near Towoomba.

between Dano and a few of us we can assist with advice and possibly parts.

I am custodian of 203 van, sedan and 403 on club plates currently, email or Pm me for a chat or a visit

For the record, the 203 vans and wagons have a 4x25 worm and wheel (6.5:1). The U8 utes have 4x27 (6.75:1). Changing to the higher ratio might seriously compromise your ability to carry the ute's rated 850kg. The van is rated at 600kg and the wagon at 450.

Tony

Thanks,

Sorry,

Images didn't show up as planned, might have another go.

Interesting. The blue anodised name plates on the front guards would indicate Harden & Johnston (Sydney) assembly. What's the serial number and does it match the engine number?

fwiw, don't remember where this came from - maybe Russell Hall's;

shown 54/55 importing plateau cabine and adding local content?
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 27th September 2015 at 10:22 AM.
    Dano and friday403 like this.

Afternoon,

Got the car out yesterday, engine turns over and has cleanish looking oil, terrible engine noise, which I'm hoping is the starter.

Problems:

Has rust right through, worst in the floor and the sills, passenger window smashed, Diff mashed as previously described. looks to be the cowl from the steering column is missing, few things like window winders and one hubcap missing, window rubbers pretty perished.

Engine number,stamped on block next to fuel pump reads: X2117030Y

Black printed plate as mentioned, is warn off however it has numbers stamped on passenger side corner of Bulkhead, numbers read vertically: 203U8-1535240X.

Needs a good power wash and rat nest removing from under seat

All the best,

Mike
    friday403 likes this.

Lovely old car!!
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Quote Originally Posted by michaelriddle View Post
    Afternoon,

Got the car out yesterday, engine turns over and has cleanish looking oil, terrible engine noise, which I'm hoping is the starter.

Problems:

Has rust right through, worst in the floor and the sills, passenger window smashed, Diff mashed as previously described. looks to be the cowl from the steering column is missing, few things like window winders and one hubcap missing, window rubbers pretty perished.

Engine number,stamped on block next to fuel pump reads: X2117030Y

Black printed plate as mentioned, is warn off however it has numbers stamped on passenger side corner of Bulkhead, numbers read vertically: 203U8-1535240X.

Needs a good power wash and rat nest removing from under seat

All the best,

Mike
    The chassis number indicates a CKD kit production date after September 1954 - most probably sold in Australia as a 1955 model. Given the engine number it looks like a 403 block has been fitted with a 203 head.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information