307 windscreen wipers refuse to work intermittently
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 windscreen wipers refuse to work intermittently

Hi all,

First time poster long time forum stalker here.

My 03 307 Hdi has recently decided that the windscreen wipers will only operate in hyper speed mode (the final setting)

The fuses seem alright, is this a faulty earth or something a little more sinister?

Any suggestions appreciated

Advertisement

Sometimes I think it's an internal fault in the underbonnet fuse panel.

If the 307 has twin wiper motors they must be replaced as a manufactured pair.

A diagnostic session will usually show you if the "commande sous volant" is correctly reading the stalk position.

Edit: I've had a look and it seems you are on a single motor drive - this is good. My money is on the underbonnet panel.
    Last edited by addo; 20th September 2015 at 09:21 AM.

Tadpole

What would be the process for repair?

Thanks for the info actually haha very quick and succinct , is this a common issue?

The fault may be in the stalk assembly itself. To remove the stalk requires removal of the Comm2000 (the module mounted on the steering shaft behind the steering wheel). The Comm2000 can be EXPENSIVE but it may be fairly easy to fix if you can use a soldering iron and you can find a replacement switch/contact arm. Have a look at this link (http://www.407owners.com/docs/com2000-pic2.jpg) to see what they look like. The steering wheel needs to come off, which is a little daunting due to the airbag. However, I have done it twice...

The other possibility is that mice may have chewed the wires to the wiper motor (I experienced this in 2011). It was a bit of a pain to repair due to the location of the chewed wiring, but it was fixed in the end. As it turned out, there's something in the wiper motor wiring that mice love!

Good luck, and let us know how you go.

Without running a diagnostic scan, the "suck and see" swapping of under bonnet fuse panel with an identical one that's known to work fine, is a simple test. No encoding required.

The windscreen wiper motor is receiving power - so replacing fuses won't provide any additional information...

Fault-finding should be approached in a methodical and logical approach to minimise your frustration!

You're not understanding me, you're not familiar with the wiring in question.

307 windscreen wipers refuse to work intermittently-front_washwipe_1.jpg

Above is a synchronous motor set from a C5. Note where the wipers are powered from - the platine servitude fusibles - it is not simply a fuse box.

The 307 has a very similar PSF1 but driving only one motor.
    Last edited by addo; 24th September 2015 at 07:19 PM.

1000+ Posts

Recent replacement of the COM2000 cost $650 fitted. Wipers were suffering but different to your situation, it does sound like the COM2000 is at fault. Mine was mechanically damaged by wife with hand through steering trying to do wipers only to push the arm up very hard, this resulted in only one speed that would not shut off unless engine off and key out. Drove me nuts and when the indicator started to get loose as they do, out it went. I notice you are local, go and see Euroserve (no affiliation just a customer) at Breakfast creek. Having said that I did pull mine apart but I suspect with its multiple little wiping fingers I had either severe mechanical or sinister electrical damage to produce my situation.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thread Information