2001 xsi compatible with 1997 xsi 2.0l
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2001 xsi compatible with 1997 xsi 2.0l

wondering if the motors are the same, ive stuffed my 2001 xsi 2.0l 16v (manual) motor and looking for a replacement, ive found a 1997 xsi 2.0l (automatic) and perhaps a 1995 xsi 2.0 (manual) are the all the same ?

would the 1997 be the right swap ?

Advertisement

thanks
    "Best Signature Ever Inserted Here"

Fellow Frogger!

There was a model change for the 306 around 97/98 from N3 to N5. The N3 XSi had an 8 valve 2L vs a 16 valve 2L in the N5 I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Engine designation for your 2001 N5 should be XU10J4R but going from automatic to manual might need modifications.
    1998 N5 306 XSi

Fellow Frogger!

What I mentioned above regarding engine/model changes is confirmed by reading the first post of the 306 Timeline thread (one of the Stickys) in the Peugeot Forum And the N3 to N5 change was July 1997 so you had better check the 1997 306 you are looking at Tiop.
    1998 N5 306 XSi

The engine codes need to be the same for a perfect swap. Yours probably has "RFV" in the VIN and a donor needs this identifier too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie_K View Post
    What I mentioned above regarding engine/model changes is confirmed by reading the first post of the 306 Timeline thread (one of the Stickys) in the Peugeot Forum And the N3 to N5 change was July 1997 so you had better check the 1997 306 you are looking at Tiop.
    thanks, i think its probally ok because the dash appears to match as do the rear boot/lights and whats left of the bonnet emblem.

for intertest sake both are 2l 16v, the engine number on the 1997 didnt have "rfv" in it like my 2001 but is in fact the same engine and the cars original engine was confirmed through peugeot australia, they do how ever have different tappet covers (not interchangeable and cam covers slightly different but can be swapped. as for being auto i swapped the engine looms

other things of interest both have manual tensioning on timing belt but have different cam sprockets sercuring bolts 3 small bolts vs 1 large center to connect to cam shaft.

Thread Information