• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dacia4x4

Thread: 505 power steering noise

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 power steering noise

Hello
    i've finished the power steering conversion, and the pump is making noise when turning the steering wheel.
    There's a new belt, new flexible hoses, fluid was drained and topped up. what to look for? Too tight/loose belt?
    Thx

Advertisement

High-pitched belt-type squealing ??

Try tightening it up temporarily, and take it from there.

Have you checked the fluid level AGAIN since you topped it up ? Possibly some fluid went into the ram or lines and you now have low fluid......even though you topped it up.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi 2pac,
    If the power steering has been fitted after topping up you will have to "bleed" the system through by turning steering lock to lock.It will be noisy until all air is dissipated from the system,you will have to check fluid level after about 3 or 4 cycles of turning left to right.the fluid in the pump/reservoir will become aerated as it is circulating and trying to push out the air,once the majority of the air is out the "groaning"type of noise will reduce and when left overnight most of the smaller air bubbles will rise into reservoir so top up may be required.I hope I haven,t confused you and it is a help to you,good luck. Jim
    denxm and pugnut1 like this.

2pac,
    Dacia4x4 is correct - I have been there done that.
    John505

1000+ Posts

If it is a r/s pump simply go to Holden & buy a kit for [used to be about $28.00 [Ford price around $80 from memory]

It is a Saginaw pump-dismantle and re-build-MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE PISTON BACK THE CORRECT WAY.If the shaft is cactus drop me a line as I should be able to source a good s/h one for you.Good idea to keep the return line to pump while operating system to flush lines $ steering rack.

Fellow Frogger!

i've done the bleeding procedure, turned the steering couple of times from lock to lock, indeed there was some white stuff floating on the fluid in the reservoir, probably air bubbles?
    i let it sit two days and will check again today.

pekay49- what's r/s pump?

Fellow Frogger!

A mechanic friend of mine told me the best way to bleed power steering is to put the front on axle stands with the front wheels off the ground and cycle from lock to lock . This way removes any load from the steering

Fellow Frogger!

well, the pump is still noisy...
    there's another issue- the steering is too light and has no feel whatsoever. can it be a wrong toe? i set the track rod ends to give 55mm from their center to the edge of the arm, as per Haynes. anybody knows what toe does it give? is it 0?

Technically, it is about 3mm, but a very old mechanic I knew told me that in reality, 0 has proven to be best.

I have never set it between the track rod and arm. As tyres are very straight, I go by the distance between the inner sides of the two front tyres. I then compare the back to the front. You can't get too far up, because the body is in the way, but you can get far enough. And I have set my 505 wheel alignment this way with a stick and tape measure for the last 17 years so that they are dead parallel. No abnormal wear so far

Thread Information