Tyres for 208 GTI
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tyres for 208 GTI

Tadpole

Default Tyres for 208 GTI

I need a couple of new tyres for my 208 GTI and wondering what others are using? As I only need two I would have preferred to match the remaining ones but I have been told you can't get the original Michelins in Australia. Looking for a good all round tyre (no pun intended) that is a bit quieter than the current ones.
    Also, if someone in Perth can recommend a good tyre place in Perth that knows what they are doing that would be great. I am in the Eastern suburbs but not a hassle to go for a bit of a drive. I went to my usual tyre place and the guy didn't inspire me with any confidence when it came to his ability to do an alignment etc on the Peugeot.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Jumbuck; 16th September 2015 at 11:57 AM.

have a look at the RE003 thread

All 603 posts here; The 195/55R15 Tyre Thread
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I'd use Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, and I go to Bob-Jane in Vic Park on the recommendation of Eurocare. They've given me great service on the 504, 505, 306, and BX rims.

I'd also suggest having a look through the above thread, as the RE003 is also highly recommended by others. Kumho and Continental have tyres of similar calibre.

1000+ Posts

I assume that your size is 205/45-17. I think that you'll have a shortlist of 5.
    The Bridgestone RE003, as mentioned; Continental's SportContact5, Goodyear's F1 Asymmetric 2, Michelin's Pilot PS3 & Pirelli's P Zero. There isn't a relevant Kumho &, anyway, Kumho, unlike their Korean rival Hankook, are not really in the class of the majors yet. Each of the five is good over a broad spectrum of criteria of tyre appraisal, although obviously they have different strengths & weaknesses.

As you'll be mixing tyre types & tyre ages, be sure to put the new ones at the back (explanation on request) & then (after a few hundred km to settle the new tyres down) play with tyre pressures to get the handling balance you want.

I've never really attended to tyre noise & can't comment on that (except that the RE003s which I fitted to my wife's Forester are not noticeably noisy) but if you go to Tyre Review's site at the following link & then go to the top right of the page, you'll see 'by tyre brand'. Click & then hunt down the tables for each of your short list. Once you're at a particular tyre, you'll find two sources of info: links to magazine tests featuring that tyre; & user reviews. Someone might comment on quietness.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/

What type are the current Michelins? (so that I can suggest something as structurally similar as possible from the short list).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 21st September 2015 at 12:13 AM.
    FedGrapes likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks for the detailed response 4cvg and also the others too.
    Yes the tyres are 205/45 17 and the current Michelins are Pilot Exalto. Not available in Australia I am told.
    I am curious as to why you put the new ones on the back? I have always thought it best the other way around. I will definitely have a look at the review site.
    Last edited by Jumbuck; 21st September 2015 at 12:01 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbuck View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response 4cvg and also the others too.
    Yes the tyres are 205/45 17 and the current Michelins are Pilot Exalto. Not available in Australia I am told.
    I am curious as to why you put the new ones on the back? I have always thought it best the other way around. I will definitely have a look at the review site.
    So, I assume that you had the Pilot Exalto 2 (there was an original Pilot Exalto). The Exalto series was/is a good one. The structures of the PE & PE2 were not as taut as their sportier sibling the Pilot Sport 2 but were generally considered to be good "hot hatch" tyres & better in the wet than the PS2.

Confusingly for all concerned, the 'Exalto' name was dropped for the successor to the PE2 & that successor is re-badged 'Pilot Sport', the Pilot Sport 3. (With the successor for the PS2 being not badged 'Pilot Sport' but given a new name: the 'Pilot SuperSport'. Whether there will be a PSS2 by that name in due course or we will get, say, the Pilot HyperSport is presumably in the money-soiled minds of the marketers.)

So the two series are:

PE, PE2, PS3; &

PS, PS2, PSS.

The PS3 continues the Exalto trait of being not as crisp as the PS2 (or PSS) but good in the wet (although not best in class). Were you to be fitting 4 tyres, I wouldn't recommend them as my first choice but they're a good tyre across most performance parameters, &, in your circumstances, the PS3 would be a good mate for your PE2s.

The upshot of all of this is that fitting 2 new PS3 tyres to the rear is probably your best option.

Why the rear (especially as the 208 is front wheel drive)? Three reasons:

- One is that your best move is to wear out the PE2 tyres ASAP so that you get a full matched set of PS3 (although it must be due for replacement soon by a PS4, or whatever it ends up being called).
    - The second is the related point that, as the PE2 compound is chronologically older than that of the new PS3, it will have lost wet grip capability compared to the PS3 (or the PE2 when new). So chop out the worst tyres fastest by putting them on the front. In my view, this is the major argument.
    - But surely the front tyres do the most work when cornering (in a FWD car anyway) and when braking; so wouldn't one want the best tyres there?
    Maybe; & a hot hatch driven briskly by a driver who likes even a FWD beastie to be "tailly" (lift-off line adjustment & all of that - memories of the 205 GTI) most makes out that case.
    Generally though, I'd recommend worst grip at the front on the grounds that if one's vehicle understeers to the point that it starts to lose adhesion at the front, then the near automatic (& correct) reaction to that is to lift off but one doesn't want that to convert matters from a front end incipient slide to a rear end one that, owing to the worst tyres being at the rear, might be undesirably untidy.
    As for emergency braking, there is a point there. Basically, the ABS will do what it can but it can but maximise use of what grip there is. The less grippy fronts will be cycled out of braking mode more than if they were better tyres & relatively more braking work will be done by the rears. But the rears don't do much braking work anyway so there is a point here. Better gripping tyres to the front will mean better emergency wet stops.

So a weighing up exercise to be done. Unless you like things "tailly" (& I do), I would be most motivated by wanting to chop the old PE2s out by putting them on the front. Anyway, you can always get more tailliness by lowering rear pressures a bit (or raising fronts, or both).

The moral of the story is that your decision situation would have been more straightforward had you rotated tyres to even their wear :-)

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 21st September 2015 at 10:45 PM.

Tadpole

Bit late... but 208GTI owners need to be aware of the load rating of the factory fit tyres - 88 XL.
    MOst tyres in this size are 84 so are not legal.

Continental ContiSportContact 5 is available in this load rating.. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is not. But the upcoming Pilot Sport 4 is.
    SLC206 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rj306 View Post
    Bit late... but 208GTI owners need to be aware of the load rating of the factory fit tyres - 88 XL.

Continental ContiSportContact 5 is available in this load rating.. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is not. But the upcoming Pilot Sport 4 is.
    Are you confident that this is a legality point rather than a possible insurance challenge point?

On the latter, from another thread:

"Ditto for concerns sometimes raised about load range. If the tyres clearly have a load capacity that exceeds any loaded weight that you'd have (& would do so even if not at maximum pressure) then the insurance company would not be able to reasonably refuse a payout."

cheers! Peter

Hi all,

Looking to put some new boots on my GTi - Michi Super Sports would by my preference, but they seem to be rare as hens teeth (in Sydney anyway)... After hearing nothing but positive experiences with Bridgestone RE003, I thought I'd give them a crack.

Best price I've found is $755 fitted for three tyres plus fourth free (given the current Bridgestone offer). Is anybody else looking currently / found a better price in the Sydney region?

Cheers,
    K
    Have:

'13 208 GTi

Want:

RCZ-R!

1000+ Posts

Hmm! I wasn't aware that the PSS was even available in this size (205/45-17) in oz.

Given the "free tyre" deal, I can't imagine you bettering the RE003 price & the tyres shouldn't disappoint.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Karloff, that sounds expensive unless the 205's are a rare fitment or something. I just last week bought 4 RE003 235/45-17's with a 97 load rating for a Mondeo for $507 from Bob Jane.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Jax usefully publishes online pre-haggling prices. Price for the RE003 in 205/45-17 is $256. I imagine that Jax & Bob Jane would be as cheap as anyone.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Jax usefully publishes online pre-haggling prices. Price for the RE003 in 205/45-17 is $256. I imagine that Jax & Bob Jane would be as cheap as anyone.

cheers! Peter
    While on tyres check age.........last window after DOT marking. Eg 3415= manufactured week 34 in 2015. More appropriate for older cars wearing same tyres for years, but the industry seems to be suggesting tyres should be inspected at 5 years & perhaps replaced at six because tyres not regularly used or in storage have their antioxidation wax process impaired without movement! Anyhow, even buying new tyres this will tell you how long they have been sitting around & you may wish to haggle price. I am NOT a guru on this subject, just picking it up after two blow outs on my 203 on tyres that passed our NZ WOF six monthly test but were "old".
    Dave

Just a chirp in:

I have used nothing else but Bridgestone Potenza RE002 since the stock Continentals wore out. They are due for renewal next year so will go for Potenza RE003 - these days you get one for free when you buy four.

They are great for where we live - Gold Coast Hinterland - very twisty roads, etc. One set of tyres lasts about 28,000 klicks. Nice hot sticky tyre. Love 'em. Current odo is 106,000
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 16th April 2016 at 10:21 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Far North Kiwi View Post
    While on tyres check age.........last window after DOT marking. Eg 3415= manufactured week 34 in 2015. More appropriate for older cars wearing same tyres for years, but the industry seems to be suggesting tyres should be inspected at 5 years & perhaps replaced at six because tyres not regularly used or in storage have their antioxidation wax process impaired without movement! Anyhow, even buying new tyres this will tell you how long they have been sitting around & you may wish to haggle price. I am NOT a guru on this subject, just picking it up after two blow outs on my 203 on tyres that passed our NZ WOF six monthly test but were "old".
    Dave
    Usual rule of thumb is that by five years of age wet grip will be noticeably degraded by compound changes & by ten years, there will be a significant risk of structural failure.

If a new tyre is older than about 18 months or so, I wouldn't haggle prices, I'd talk with another retailer or consider another type type if only old stock is available in your first choice. (Unless, of course, your driving style & circumstances entail a short life for them using only dry roads.)

cheers! Peter

Beginning to wonder about RE003s. They grip great in the dry and are great in the wet, though I have noticed the fronts on 205 have started to "sawtooth" on the outside though only very slightly as yet . They have such a long tread block. Mine have only done (say) 900km! Previous RE001s lasted for ever and did not "sawtooth" at all (I kid you not)!

Anyone else notice this?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Haven't had any trouble as yet. Could it be your alignment possibly?
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Running toe about 1mm out.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by rj306 View Post

Placard says 88, no need for XL. You are correct though, many tyres in this size are to low. Even in 215/45 some tyres don't meet the load rating of 88. I'm thinking of going the ad08r but that needs to be 225/45 to meet load ratings.

I'm reviving an old thread, but I thought it may be relevant.

I've just re-shod the 208 GTi with four new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Previously it had the OEM tyres, which were Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s.

I noted the other day a new 208 GTi at Peter Warren had Pilot Sport 3s as OEM.

I had no issues with the Exalto tyres, other than they were getting a little noisy (kind of like old Pirellis, but not as bad) and were starting to lose some of their wet grip on take off. They still had plenty of wear left after 38,0000 odd km, but I needed to replace them due to lease requirements, plus the noise was driving me crazy.

Hopefully the PS4s will be good, as the reports seem to indicate they are.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

While we are talking about 205/45R17 tyres, what are the views on Toyo NanoEnergy3? These are much cheaper than the contenders mentioned in this size. I'm mulling over replacements for a DS3.

1000+ Posts

Has anyone used Toyo recently?

Default Tyres for 208 GTI

Hi,
    We had Toyo TEO Plus on both our daily drives (Mondeo & Camry) both were excellent tyres and good value for money.
    The Camry just got a new set of the Neos as apparently that is replacing the TEOs. They are very quiet and neutral on the road, less tracking pull than the TEO and good traction in the wet. These are 60 series, I've not got them on the Mondeo yet so can't give you a low profile comparison. Mondeo has 45 series and I've been very happy with both life and performance/traction. The diesel Mondeo was pretty hard on the previous makes of tyres and these TEOs are by far the best I've tried since I got the car in 2008.
    cheers
    Craig

1000+ Posts

Thanks. TEO don't do 205/45R17 for the DS3. I ran Toyo some years ago on a Japanese car and was happy with them, hence my interest.. 17 inch low profile are noisy enough without looking for near-racing tyres.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information