1969 404 BA7 to BA7/5 Conversion - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1969 404 BA7 to BA7/5 Conversion

Another1969 404 BA7 to BA7/5 Conversion-imgp1068.jpg1969 404 BA7 to BA7/5 Conversion-imgp1086.jpg

Advertisement
    calgooley likes this.

It depends how far you wish to go structurally to fit a floor shift.

If you want a neat and original looking outcome, you really need to graft a 505 trans tunnel into the 404. then the top cover from the 505 fits neatly and seals up. This is what has been done in the picture above. It gives the bonus of having more space to fit the gearbox.

There is another option, but it involves a lot of tunnel panel beating and reworking to make the 505 top cover fit the reworked 404 tunnel.

If doing a conversion again I'd choose the former.
    calgooley likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

Thats a good point Bahay the 5 speed bell house has more bulk to it than the 404 one I have checked the exhaust clearance and it is the least of the issues I have a big bore exhaust header which will take up more space.Big H thats nice work I,am really trying make a 5 speed column change.
    Can I remove the rear cover from the ba 7/5 and refit it easily without affecting any tolerances.
    Marty.

Fellow Frogger!

Default rear cover?

Quote Originally Posted by marty 404 View Post
    Thats a good point Bahay the 5 speed bell house has more bulk to it than the 404 one I have checked the exhaust clearance and it is the least of the issues I have a big bore exhaust header which will take up more space.Big H thats nice work I,am really trying make a 5 speed column change.
    Can I remove the rear cover from the ba 7/5 and refit it easily without affecting any tolerances.
    Marty.
    Not sure what you are asking Marty,
    The back end of the BA7/5 is MUCH bigger than the std 404 trans tunnel will accommodate. To fit column shift linkages as well as the box will be 'interesting'.
    I believe that a 404 ute was converted to column shift 5 speed with part cable operation..a bloke from Qld if I recall. Not sure ...was his surname Badcock ? (The ute had a 2 litre donk with a Ti head running on gas)

Seeing Big H's pics reminded me that the std 404 front seats & runners will clash with the increased tunnel dimension. 505 front seats on special mounts can fix that.

The various changes all take work...one thing impacts another.

John

^ The name Babcock rings a bell......
    Last edited by Beano; 16th January 2018 at 10:28 PM.

I fitted a BA10/5 to a 404 wagon many years ago and retained the column shift. Marty, I had thought it was a BA7/5 I was telling you about, but as I thought about it more, it was a BA10.

It required a butchered gearbox mount fitted backwards, with new holes drilled in the floorpan. This shouldn't be necessary for a BA7/5. Some beating and cutting of the transmission tunnel was necessary to fit the gearbox, this would also be less of a problem with a BA7/5.

For the linkages, I had to cut the selector arm off the LH side of the BA10/5 and re-weld it onto the RH side. I also had a make a little 'torque tube' that ran laterally underneath the gearbox, with an arm at each end offset to each other at 90 degrees. Each arm had a ball joint fitted. The LH side used a 504/5 short link to connect it to the gearbox, and the RH side connected to the original 404 linkage. This converted the 'forward and aft' motion of the 404 column shift selector on the right-hand side of the gearbox and convert it to an 'up and down' motion of the horizontal plane selector on the left-hand side of the gearbox.

Sadly it was before I owned a digital camera, so I have no photos of it.

I remember the gear selector was fine, and caused no problems (although the shift pattern might have been upside-down?), the problems came from the reversed mount. It was horribly noisy, and after only a couple of months I replaced it with a BA7/4 with floor shift from an early 504 wagon.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

That makes sense from what I have found from sitting the BA 7/5 next to a BA 7/4 the gear change will be reversed so it is like a R16 or HQ Kingswood with 1st Fwd and down.
    Is the front shell of the 7/5 the same internally as the 7/4 it looks the same externally.

I see no reason why you couldn't use the front shells from an earlier BA7/4 on a BA7/5.

However, there were two generations of front oil seals on the bell housings and the input shafts are not compatible between the two. Therefore, you need to keep the bell housing matched to the input shaft.

And you also can't swap input shafts, they had a different tooth profile between the early and late models. So you'll need to keep the bell housing and input shat that came with your BA7/5.

Just had a look at the workshop manual for the BA7/5, it seems that the selector shaft doesn't run all the way through the gearbox like the BA10/5, so it would be impossible to weld the arm on the other side like I did. I think you could easily extend it though and drill out the gearbox the rest of the way - actually, it looks like there might be a plug that could be pushed out.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    ^ The name Babcock rings a bell......
    Badelley....I think that's what his surname was.

VIP Sponsor

Graham Badcock, he had a camper box on the back of the 403 then 404 ute. Don't know about a column shift 5 speed though. Chris Jones in Adelaide did a 5 speed column conversion to a 404 ute.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Graham Badcock, he had a camper box on the back of the 403 then 404 ute. Don't know about a column shift 5 speed though. Chris Jones in Adelaide did a 5 speed column conversion to a 404 ute.
    Thanks Graham,
    So it was Badcock after all.
    ...and yes the camper 404 ute had a 2litre with Ti head on Gas, tilting camper roof with solar panels and the 5 speed column shift arrangement. Think I saw it at one of the 404 anniversaries or was it at Wagga?

John

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information