Good looking 504 wing mirrors
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Good looking 504 wing mirrors

I used to have some great-looking m3 style wing mirrors for a 504 that were just plastic surrounds with a mirror mounted inside the housing. Should've taken them off when I sold that car and bought another. This one has only a driver's side mirror and now that's gone thanks to some ****** dropping planks onto it from the side of a truck (lucky nothing else was injured really).

Does anyone know where I can get such mirrors again, or what else might look good?

P.S. Kmart was suggested and they were crap. Don't think Autobarn has any...? What about Renaults or other car's mirrors that fit?

Advertisement

Bagel:
    What about Renaults or other car's mirrors that fit?
    Believe it or not, the Leyland P76 was fitted with the same mirrors as the Australian 504s. And they had a left-hand one to match the driver's mirror, so you can fit both. Now, the only challenge is finding a P76 with intact mirrors...

Others may know if any other '70s Aussie cars had the same mirrors fitted. I'd not be surprised if you found that Toranas or Kingswoods also had them.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

aquinian:
    Bagel:
    What about Renaults or other car's mirrors that fit?
    Believe it or not, the Leyland P76 was fitted with the same mirrors as the Australian 504s. And they had a left-hand one to match the driver's mirror, so you can fit both. Now, the only challenge is finding a P76 with intact mirrors...

Others may know if any other '70s Aussie cars had the same mirrors fitted. I'd not be surprised if you found that Toranas or Kingswoods also had them.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    John,

That would be only the mirror fitted to Australian 504s of about the 1973/1974/1975 vintage. Earlier and later Australian 504s had the genuine French mirror, which is of far higher quality (stainless steel). These are still available new for about $40 or so and have a black strip around the glass which is of higher quality that the original grey strip (there is also a cheap copy available with the grey strip, but those mirrors rust within 6 months of fitting them).

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

A really good mirror that readily fits (slight filing of the mirror base to follow the curve of the 504 door is all...) is on the later Datsun 200B.

Nice looking, easy to adjust, good position retention, come in either black or chrome, easy to find.

What about left hand mirrors for the 604 with the internal adjuster? If I ever get my 604 mobile again I would like to get one. Were they ever on Australian 604s?
    If not does anyone know if they are expensive in France?

BTW, if the P76/Pug mirrors are anything like Kingswood ones, they are crap! The mirrors on my grandfather's 504 were real nice though (it was a 1980 model I think)
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    no australian 604's had the left hand internally adjustable mirrors
    saying that though
    i had a 604 with a left hand internally adjustable mirror
    you can get them from overseas but they need a little modifying as they are designed for drivers who sit on the left hand side of the car
    enough hunting around i am sure you will come up with one over there
    but if you are going to go to that much trouble then you are better off getting the later electric mirrors and putting them on the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

What mods do they need? I would have thought they would just have the adjuster on the left hand door. Still easier to lean over and adjust than get out of the car and do it. Especially when you get back to the driver's seat and find that it is still not quite right.
    When did the electric ones come out? are they pricey?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Fellow Frogger!
    I got one for my 604 and I couldn't get the mirror to turn in enough to be able to see out of it from the right hand side so I had to modify the size of the mirror.
    I have been looking around for some more available for my other 604 and I think that the early statesmans had a similar mirror.

WB Caprice had a nice mirror, and it is electrically adjusted. It is not as nice a the 604 one though.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Thread Information