Front Dampers / Shocks / Struts
  • Register
  • Help

Default Front Dampers / Shocks / Struts

Hi All,

Just a little confused.

Are front Structs in my (205 GTI) the same as saying front shocks? I mean, apart from the hub carrier and alike.. it's the same thing, different words?

Thanks
    Justin

Advertisement
    Last edited by pugrambo; 22nd March 2004 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spell check for future reference
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

shocks = damping device,
    strut = a device to supporting the wheel in upright position. in the case of the 205 it has integrated damper (shock absorber) and spring. It attaches to the hub down the bottom and strut tower on top.

does that make sense?
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Hi Tekkie,

So, when a pug service guy (Portapug, Sydney) tells me that I have non original structs and that the left one moves (under some force) does it mean I need to replace struct/shock as a combination?? or is the shock inside of the struct casing?

when driving I hear a loud clunk from the front left when turning right and the car will turn in very sharply... I'm just trying to workout if I'm going to have to chase down some 2nd hand structs/shocks..

tnx
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    shocks = damping device,
    strut = a device to supporting the wheel in upright position. in the case of the 205 it has integrated damper (shock absorber) and spring. It attaches to the hub down the bottom and strut tower on top.

does that make sense?
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

I would say that the comment says that you have two different struts (eg 306_S16 and 306_GTI6). And even though the bolts may line up on the strut tower (the top bit of the strut you see when you open the bonnet) it may not sit correctly un the top strut bearing and hence moves when you turn the wheel causing the change in front wheel geometry.

And yes I would suggest sourcing correct struts for your car. I'f new is out of the price range, wreckers is an option but have them tested/checked before fitting (the car they came from was most likely in the accident).

You may try to get some from the places that rebuild struts.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

1000+ Posts

Hi Justin.

Just to clarify, the strut in this case is basically a shock absorber (ie. the main tube bit you see on all shock absorbers) that has a bracket on its bottom end, on the side, that bolts to the hub. Near the top of the tube there is the bottom seat for the spring. The inner chrome piston rod you see on shockies (the bit that works the damping action) comes out the top and is attached to the strut mount you can see under the bonnet, with a nut in the middle (covered with a cap). When you turn the wheels, the body of the strut (effectively, the shock absorber) turns as well - there's a bearing in the top mount to allow this, as the strut is rigidly attached to the hub. There are plenty of variations on this.

Some of these have the shock absorber contained inside the main body of the strut, referred to as a 'strut insert'. These can be replaced separately if the strut body is still structurally OK. Otherwise, the ones with no insert are replaced in total. I think the 205 has these type.

And for Ray Bell's benefit, yes, I know they are more correctly called dampers...

Stuey

Thread Information