505 Battering Continues
  • Register
  • Help

505 Battering Continues

Well after someone taking out the front LHS last year December in a hit and run while parked out in the street the woes just go on.

This time there was an overnight burglary in which both 505's had there drivers side rear quarter windows smashed and upon entry the glove boxes and ashtrays raided.

Just two victims of up to fifteen in the surrounding streets according to the police assistance line. The actual police weren't that interested, "claim it on your insurance...." as if!!!

Advertisement

The 504 was tucked away safely in the garage.

But to the point, can someone tell me where I can get the panes replaced fairly cheaply. Located in southern Sydney.
    Is it however a possible DIY job?
    If so where would I obtain the glass and how exactly can they be installed.
    Had a review of the situation and apart from getting a few splinters in hand (ouch!!) the job look tricky with the chrome and rubber supports so tight.

Peter.

--------------------------'
    peugeot_ 504 '75 GL
    peugeot_ 505 '82 GR
    peugeot_ 505 '83 GR

Oh, BUGGER!!

Sorry to here that, obviously not very intelligent crims as the 505 doors aren't that hard to open just with a coat hanger.......

Had to break something didn't they the Ba$tards.

Now I know why my everyday 505 (with amps, stacker and etc) stays as close to the house as possible and the other is out on the street.

Did they get anything important??

I wouldn't have thought many 505's around now would contain that much expensive stuff for someone to steal.

My condolences,

Jono cry
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

No as luck would have it the biggest loss was the glass panels.

They took a few dollars in toll money and managed to prise open one glove box that was locked.
    It had a small toolkit inside and they left it.

Even left the antiquated cassette radios with the scratchy sound effects.

Of course its the violation, inconvenience of driving around with shopping bags and masking tape and eventual cost of repair that hurts the most.

Peter.

----------------------

Geez, sorry to hear it. Someone needs to ram these guys' heads through a glass window to teach them a lesson... evil

I just looked through the Haynes manual and it doesn't look like there's any info on how to replace the glass. I doubt that it would be too difficult to replace though. You haven't really got anything to loose by trying, give it a go!

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Five minute job in a 504... look for a little screw up the top of the channel, hidden under the door rubber... work it out from there.

I do this all the time....

Well, sometimes...

Ray Bell:
    Five minute job in a 504... look for a little screw up the top of the channel, hidden under the door rubber... work it out from there.

I do this all the time....

Well, sometimes...
    Similar with a 505. If you need some advice, you're welcome to give me a call on my mobile and I'll describe how to do it. I'd write it up but time is short.

0417 915 546.

Cheers,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Same thing happened to my 504 a couple of years ago. They took the knobs off the original Clarion AM/FM/cassette unit then decided it wasn't worth pulling out.

As other have said, replacing the glass is not too difficult. One thing that I discovered was that there are a couple of different tints available, so make sure you get the right one.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Thanks to all with the advice.

One thing though, does the glass come from somewhere made to measure or do I need to have it cut after supplying measurements?
    Any ideas on suppliers, automotive glaziers, etc?

Much appreciated John, will call you there in WA
    once I get the replacement panes.

Peter.

Peter, it may be cheaper to try a wrecker like Pick 'N Payless at Blacktown where you would need to remove the glass yourself. One way to find out how to do it.
    Or you could try P504 at Waitara or Portapug at Turrella to see if they will sell you the glass alone.
    Sorry to be a downer but when you remove the glass on your car you might find some other nasties, like a rusty vertical metal bracket that goes between the fixed glass and the windup window. You might need to replace that too.
    Good luck.

Thread Information