504 Starter Motor engaging intermittently
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 Starter Motor engaging intermittently

Recently the occurence of the starter motor spinnig and not properly engaging when starting the car has increased?

Advertisement

Is this the starter motor its self or the cogs it connects to?

thanks

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Recently the occurence of the starter motor spinnig and not properly engaging when starting the car has increased?

thanks

shobbz

Could be either - that is the ring gear (manual transmission) or drive plate (auto transmission) having worn teeth.
    Alternatively, it may simply be that the starter requires attention. The solenoid (bendix drive) may be faulty / sticking, or the front pinion bush is worn.

Also, you cannot eliminate the possibility of a voltage drop at the bendix, which results in insufficient energy to fully engage the bendix drive. Possibilities here range from a faulty battery (1 cell suspect) to bad earthing, wiring etc. In this case, a starter relay is a well proven modification (except for replacing the battery, of course)!!

Good luck,

Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    Could be either - that is the ring gear (manual transmission) or drive plate (auto transmission) having worn teeth.
    Alternatively, it may simply be that the starter requires attention. The solenoid (bendix drive) may be faulty / sticking, or the front pinion bush is worn.

Also, you cannot eliminate the possibility of a voltage drop at the bendix, which results in insufficient energy to fully engage the bendix drive. Possibilities here range from a faulty battery (1 cell suspect) to bad earthing, wiring etc. In this case, a starter relay is a well proven modification (except for replacing the battery, of course)!!

Good luck,

Kim.
    Kim,

Thanks for the info. I hope its not the ring gear (Manual box), sounds like a difficult problem to fix.

Can starters be serviced or am I just better off replacing the starter with a working one?

The earth wiring from starter has been cleaned recently.

I have heard of these starter relays. How would this help in my situation? and where would one be installed. The are mentioned a lot on the PeugeotL email list.

The battery is in good condition according to hygrometer as checked about month ago.

thanks

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

WLB

thanks

shobbz
    Shobbz,

Try placing the end of a length of wood on the body of the starter, somewhere near where it bolts to the bell housing (so as not to break anything) and give the other end of the wood a bloody great whack with a hammer. If it's sticking, this will often let it start. It's even better if someone is turning the key when you hit it. If it works, it will get you out of trouble and also help diagnose the problem. The wood needs to be big enough so as not to bend, small enough to get into position on the starter, and long enough to be able to hit the end and not something else.

They come out reasonably easily and an auto-electrician should be able to fix it for a reasonable price.

Warwick.

VIP Sponsor

Simple, it will be the Bendix if the starter motor is working and not turning the engine. You can peel these open (assuming it is a Ducellior), clean the insides, reassemble and they will work most of the time from then on.
    It won't be the flywheel.
    On the subject of the "electric 604 fuel pump", 604s have a mechanical pump.
    Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Simple, it will be the Bendix if the starter motor is working and not turning the engine. You can peel these open (assuming it is a Ducellior), clean the insides, reassemble and they will work most of the time from then on.
    It won't be the flywheel.
    On the subject of the "electric 604 fuel pump", 604s have a mechanical pump.
    Graham Wallis
    So its a strip and clean job.

Liberally lubricate? or easy on the grease?

thanks

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

So its a strip and clean job.

Liberally lubricate? or easy on the grease?

thanks

shobbz
    Use lanox to lubricate and bench test it half a dozen times, be liberal
    the stuff will just run out of it if there is too much

Works on my rangie and my wife's mazda 626

Tom

The current count is 2 starts from 7 attempts today. These two were from the good old start in first then start again, not pretty but effective.

I have another starter motor here so i am going to put that in.

Anything that i need to look out for. Seems pretty straight forward as per the manual?

thanks

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Originally posted by WLB
    Try placing the end of a length of wood on the body of the starter, somewhere near where it bolts to the bell housing (so as not to break anything) and give the other end of the wood a bloody great whack with a hammer. If it's sticking, this will often let it start. It's even better if someone is turning the key when you hit it. If it works, it will get you out of trouble and also help diagnose the problem. The wood needs to be big enough so as not to bend, small enough to get into position on the starter, and long enough to be able to hit the end and not something else.....
    Is this not the answer for a sticky solenoid... when the thing just goes 'click' when you turn the key and the starter doesn't turn at all?

Best way to do this, I have found, is to have a steel rod of some discription (or big screwdriver...) and drop it from an inch or so away onto the solenoid cylinder (not the plastic bit!) while someone holds the key on start.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 12th April 2004 at 01:10 AM.

Default 504 starter

Hey Guys,
    Shobz has already said the starter is turning, and being a pre-engaged type the solenoid must pull in to close the contacts in order for the starter to rotate, so the problem should be the bendix (starter drive). If you have another starter that works put it on
    Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Thread Information