504 Starter Motor engaging intermittently
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,284

    Default 504 Starter Motor engaging intermittently

    Recently the occurence of the starter motor spinnig and not properly engaging when starting the car has increased?

    Advertisement


    Is this the starter motor its self or the cogs it connects to?

    thanks

    shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Tamworth NSW
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Recently the occurence of the starter motor spinnig and not properly engaging when starting the car has increased?

    Is this the starter motor its self or the cogs it connects to?

    thanks

    shobbz

    Could be either - that is the ring gear (manual transmission) or drive plate (auto transmission) having worn teeth.
    Alternatively, it may simply be that the starter requires attention. The solenoid (bendix drive) may be faulty / sticking, or the front pinion bush is worn.

    Also, you cannot eliminate the possibility of a voltage drop at the bendix, which results in insufficient energy to fully engage the bendix drive. Possibilities here range from a faulty battery (1 cell suspect) to bad earthing, wiring etc. In this case, a starter relay is a well proven modification (except for replacing the battery, of course)!!

    Good luck,

    Kim.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    Could be either - that is the ring gear (manual transmission) or drive plate (auto transmission) having worn teeth.
    Alternatively, it may simply be that the starter requires attention. The solenoid (bendix drive) may be faulty / sticking, or the front pinion bush is worn.

    Also, you cannot eliminate the possibility of a voltage drop at the bendix, which results in insufficient energy to fully engage the bendix drive. Possibilities here range from a faulty battery (1 cell suspect) to bad earthing, wiring etc. In this case, a starter relay is a well proven modification (except for replacing the battery, of course)!!

    Good luck,

    Kim.
    Kim,

    Thanks for the info. I hope its not the ring gear (Manual box), sounds like a difficult problem to fix.

    Can starters be serviced or am I just better off replacing the starter with a working one?

    The earth wiring from starter has been cleaned recently.

    I have heard of these starter relays. How would this help in my situation? and where would one be installed. The are mentioned a lot on the PeugeotL email list.

    The battery is in good condition according to hygrometer as checked about month ago.

    thanks

    shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  4. #4
    WLB
    WLB is offline
    1000+ Posts WLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Warragul, Vic.
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Recently the occurence of the starter motor spinnig and not properly engaging when starting the car has increased?

    Is this the starter motor its self or the cogs it connects to?

    thanks

    shobbz
    Shobbz,

    Try placing the end of a length of wood on the body of the starter, somewhere near where it bolts to the bell housing (so as not to break anything) and give the other end of the wood a bloody great whack with a hammer. If it's sticking, this will often let it start. It's even better if someone is turning the key when you hit it. If it works, it will get you out of trouble and also help diagnose the problem. The wood needs to be big enough so as not to bend, small enough to get into position on the starter, and long enough to be able to hit the end and not something else.

    They come out reasonably easily and an auto-electrician should be able to fix it for a reasonable price.

    Warwick.

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,258

    Default

    Simple, it will be the Bendix if the starter motor is working and not turning the engine. You can peel these open (assuming it is a Ducellior), clean the insides, reassemble and they will work most of the time from then on.
    It won't be the flywheel.
    On the subject of the "electric 604 fuel pump", 604s have a mechanical pump.
    Graham Wallis

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Simple, it will be the Bendix if the starter motor is working and not turning the engine. You can peel these open (assuming it is a Ducellior), clean the insides, reassemble and they will work most of the time from then on.
    It won't be the flywheel.
    On the subject of the "electric 604 fuel pump", 604s have a mechanical pump.
    Graham Wallis
    So its a strip and clean job.

    Liberally lubricate? or easy on the grease?

    thanks

    shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    So its a strip and clean job.

    Liberally lubricate? or easy on the grease?

    thanks

    shobbz
    Use lanox to lubricate and bench test it half a dozen times, be liberal
    the stuff will just run out of it if there is too much

    Works on my rangie and my wife's mazda 626

    Tom

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Shobbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    The current count is 2 starts from 7 attempts today. These two were from the good old start in first then start again, not pretty but effective.

    I have another starter motor here so i am going to put that in.

    Anything that i need to look out for. Seems pretty straight forward as per the manual?

    thanks

    shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

  9. #9
    Gone Fishin' Ray Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Burpengary and Murrumburrah, Qld and NSW
    Posts
    9,223

    Default

    Originally posted by WLB
    Try placing the end of a length of wood on the body of the starter, somewhere near where it bolts to the bell housing (so as not to break anything) and give the other end of the wood a bloody great whack with a hammer. If it's sticking, this will often let it start. It's even better if someone is turning the key when you hit it. If it works, it will get you out of trouble and also help diagnose the problem. The wood needs to be big enough so as not to bend, small enough to get into position on the starter, and long enough to be able to hit the end and not something else.....
    Is this not the answer for a sticky solenoid... when the thing just goes 'click' when you turn the key and the starter doesn't turn at all?

    Best way to do this, I have found, is to have a steel rod of some discription (or big screwdriver...) and drop it from an inch or so away onto the solenoid cylinder (not the plastic bit!) while someone holds the key on start.
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 12th April 2004 at 01:10 AM.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! PCOATES505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Gunbower
    Posts
    387

    Default 504 starter

    Hey Guys,
    Shobz has already said the starter is turning, and being a pre-engaged type the solenoid must pull in to close the contacts in order for the starter to rotate, so the problem should be the bendix (starter drive). If you have another starter that works put it on
    Pete

    I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •