505 shocks
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 505 shocks

nJm

Default 505 shocks

The front and rear shock absorbers in my 1983 505 GR are extremely tired. The suspension crashes over small bumps, and the car wobbles from side to side if you give it a little push. I rang my mechanic who recommended I get a full set of new Aquilink (not sure of spelling) shocks. I was quoted $180 per pair, and 4 hours labour to fit them.

I asked about rebuilding the old ones, but he said the seals aren't available any more. He also said while I could fit shocks off a wrecked STi or GTi, those cars are also around the 20 year old mark, so there would be no garantee how much life is left in them. I don't intend to keep the car any more than another 4 years or so, so what sort of life could I expect out of GTi shocks? I just want something to make the car handle safely again and ride like a pug should. Any advice?

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'd say he must have thought aliquant shocks

they aren't too bad for aftermarket items

i had them in the front of a 604 and they weren't too bad

the originals died at just over 200k so that gives you an idea on how long they will last

as good as the original rears are he is right in saying you are unsure on how much life is left in them

konis are good but are not available

if you travel on average 25k a year then you have 200k in 4 years so they are going to be worn out by the time you plan on parting with the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I would just buy some decent ones and install them your self.

Don't give money to mechanics that you shouldn't have to.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    The front and rear shock absorbers in my 1983 505 GR are extremely tired. The suspension crashes over small bumps, and the car wobbles from side to side if you give it a little push. I rang my mechanic who recommended I get a full set of new Aquilink (not sure of spelling) shocks. I was quoted $180 per pair, and 4 hours labour to fit them.

I asked about rebuilding the old ones, but he said the seals aren't available any more. He also said while I could fit shocks off a wrecked STi or GTi, those cars are also around the 20 year old mark, so there would be no garantee how much life is left in them. I don't intend to keep the car any more than another 4 years or so, so what sort of life could I expect out of GTi shocks? I just want something to make the car handle safely again and ride like a pug should. Any advice?

Nick, the Alinquants for the front are OK but the rears are not.
    If you fit genuine rears and they are OK then their lifespan will be indefinite.
    Yes, they are old but I am finding most are still in very good condition.
    I have a mate who works for Pedders and has had success with one of their shockers (modified to suit) this could be worth considering.
    I have a pair of new gas Decarbon fronts for sale if you are interested.

Graham Wallis

Icon13 505 shocks

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    Nick, the Alinquants for the front are OK but the rears are not.
    If you fit genuine rears and they are OK then their lifespan will be indefinite.
    Yes, they are old but I am finding most are still in very good condition.
    I have a mate who works for Pedders and has had success with one of their shockers (modified to suit) this could be worth considering.
    I have a pair of new gas Decarbon fronts for sale if you are interested.

Graham Wallis
    Hi All
    When I first got my GR it had gas shocks in the front and I found the ride very hard, they also jacked the front of the car up, which I didn't like much either. I have since put in inserts from EAI (about $180 a pair ) and it rides much better.
    I think a price of $180 + 4 hours labour would be quite reasonable, and money well spent.
    Pugrambo I think your arithmetic is a bit off, 4 x 25 =100

If you are inclined to replace them yourself, it is not that difficult, but you will need a good set of spring compressors, cheap sets are usually a bit short and make the job more difficult.
    Regards Pete
    Last edited by PCOATES505; 16th March 2004 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCOATES505
    Hi All
    When I first got my GR it had gas shocks in the front and I found the ride very hard, they also jacked the front of the car up, which I didn't like much either. I have since put in inserts from EAI (about $180 a pair ) and it rides much better.
    I think a price of $180 + 4 hours labour would be quite reasonable, and money well spent.
    Pugrambo I think your arithmetic is a bit off, 4 x 25 =100

If you are inclined to replace them yourself, it is not that difficult, but you will need a good set of spring compressors, cheap sets are usually a bit short and make the job more difficult.
    Regards Pete

yeah sorry pete i was a bit pre-occupied when i posted that one

as for the fronts they are pretty easy to do and if done right you don't even need a set of spring compressors

this is something i have done quite a few times and never used a set yet, but you will need two good jacks plus with the jacks you have more control
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm

I'm not doing it my self, I have no equipment or knowledge when it comes to these things.

I'd also like to save as much money as it is (it all went into getting the brakes sorted out last year!), so I'm thinking a set of Alinquants on the front and some second hand 505 shocks on the rear.

Is there any preferable model to get them off? I've always been under the impression the STi had the same ones as the GR/SR.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Nick,

Just my opinions as I have been doing a bit with 504/5 inserts of late.

In my SR Wagon I replaced the fronts with LIP Gas struts from EAI, they are BRILLIANT! make the car feel more like a GTI in the front end, I can say they are a good thing! I'd be heading out for a set of them ! I think they were $90 each....

Also in my sisters 504 I did the rears and used the BOGE Gas units *yellow* again it's made the car feel a LOT less floaty in the back end and sured it up on the road.

Both these items I would reccomend and use again....as far as I can say FORGET using second hand shocks.......

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

VIP Sponsor

I'm not doing it my self, I have no equipment or knowledge when it comes to these things.

I'd also like to save as much money as it is (it all went into getting the brakes sorted out last year!), so I'm thinking a set of Alinquants on the front and some second hand 505 shocks on the rear.

Is there any preferable model to get them off? I've always been under the impression the STi had the same ones as the GR/SR.

Nick, I've never found a GR shocker yet that was any good so STI,
    GTI or maybe SR is the way to go.
    I was at EAI this afternoon and looked at some LIP gas rears. These
    seemed to be very good and worked well on some of the Rerun 404s.
    These are $85 each. Of course they will raise the ride height, being gas,
    which would be a definite issue with the GR springs which are too high
    to begin with!
    Should be OK with STI springs though.

Graham Wallis

nJm

I was wondering, do these after market brands offer a really good ride quality as well as GTi performance? I was in a friend's 505 GTi and it felt fine, but I want something that will provide a soft ride on dirt roads, bound over speed humps and take the worst of the roads in Toorak in its stride , not something to help out on a race track.

I'd just be happy not to have a car that bounces around when you go around corners.

Oh yes, and I'm not keen on raising the ride height any more than its stock level! Which shocks can be put on without changing the ride height? Also, I'm not really sure what all this talk about 'inserts' are etc. Can someone explain it?
    Last edited by nJm; 16th March 2004 at 08:26 PM.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Also, I'm not really sure what all this talk about 'inserts' are etc. Can someone explain it?

inserts are the shock unit that goes inside your strut

some cars you have to buy a complete strut but with pugs you can remove the shock in the strut and insert a new unit

hope that helps
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

So are genuine Pug shockers no longer available new?

I always thought that when the time came, I'd replace mine with new originals. Can you still get them?

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Default 505 shocks

I was wondering, do these after market brands offer a really good ride quality as well as GTi performance? I was in a friend's 505 GTi and it felt fine, but I want something that will provide a soft ride on dirt roads, bound over speed humps and take the worst of the roads in Toorak in its stride , not something to help out on a race track.

I'd just be happy not to have a car that bounces around when you go around corners.

Oh yes, and I'm not keen on raising the ride height any more than its stock level! Which shocks can be put on without changing the ride height? Also, I'm not really sure what all this talk about 'inserts' are etc. Can someone explain it?
    If you want to keep ride height the same then stick with oil filled shocks. Gas shocks by nature try to extend and will increase the ride height. Standard oil filled inserts will improve handling and ride dramatically if your old ones are stuffed. Lyncliff and I have run Aliquants on the rear without any problems and we spend most of our time driving on rough gravel roads.
    Regards Pete

Just to make sure nobody has been misinformed... all shocks (proper name= Dampers) are 'oil filled' or function because oil (and only oil...) passes through their valving.

Gas is used to take up the vacant space that exists inside the housing when the damper is fully extended. When it's not, the gas is working hard to raise the ride height of the car.

Nick... who said the seals aren't available any more?

Even if they aren't, I would be delighted to get the original parts (but only if I can get the whole lot that comes out of the strut) from you for future reference.

There is nothing better in the way of dampers for a Peugeot than the originals...

Quote Originally Posted by PCOATES505
    If you want to keep ride height the same then stick with oil filled shocks. Gas shocks by nature try to extend and will increase the ride height. Standard oil filled inserts will improve handling and ride dramatically if your old ones are stuffed. Lyncliff and I have run Aliquants on the rear without any problems and we spend most of our time driving on rough gravel roads.
    Regards Pete
    Could the rear springs have seen better days? How would you tell if they had?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

I fitted aliquants to the front of my GTD last year and KYb gas in the rear and it rode and handled very well and would recommend this combination to anyone. I sold the car to a fellow from Gunnedah a few weeks ago. The GTD has the same suppension as the GTI as far as I am aware. The whole set was $500 the rear Kybs were a lot cheaper than the fronts. I rang peugeot and was told originals were still avaliable and the cost was $690 for the set, this was early last year. The spare parts manager I rang may have been wrong though, some sometimes are. My springs were sagging a little in the rear I thought, the shocks made a little difference but the rear when loaded still sagged too much. I rang monroe to see if I could get pump up shocks but they don't make them to fit 505's.
    1987 Peugeot 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

KYB, Aliquant, Koni and of course peugeot are all excellent, but Pedders are useless.

Actually, I found the Belgian Monroes weren't too bad on my wagon... and they did a pile of miles.

Kayaba must have come a long way since the days they barely made it out of the showroom on skinny Corollas...

nJm Lots of sound advice for you to choose from on the type of unit to use but you may consider getting a suspension speciallist to fit and adjust them for you and is unlikely to need 4 hr to do it. I purchased OEM shocks for my car from Caravelle Imports and had Pedders fit them, had all the correct gear , had it done in no time while I waited. Pedders will of course have some suggestions for replacement units as well, I went with OEM but Pedders said they had cheaper and better units ( but they would say that) did a good job of it anyway.
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Default 505 ride height

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Could the rear springs have seen better days? How would you tell if they had?

shobbz
    Going by my own car (505 sti) which has pretty good suspension normal ride height would be, When standing at the rear wheel, about 2 metres away from the car with 195/65 tyres you should see a gap between the top of the tyre and the guard arch of about 35mm with 195/70's about 25mm, hope that gives you an idea as to how much sag you have.
    Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Boges (with lifetime warranty) are back on the market, and maybe worth a look.

I lean towards oil shocks as gas eg KYB are too harsh.

Check this site: http://www.shockreco.com.au/index.htm

Aliquants are OK. I used to get them from Auto France in Sydney.

Konis sound good, given their adjustable options and rebuilding capability. I'll be using Konis in future.

Nick

i don't know if they are still available but old man emu used to have rear coil over shocks for pugs

my sister put a set on the back of her 504 once as the rear springs were sagging a bit so to take up the difference a bit she put these coil overs in

they weren't too bad either from memory

stiffened up the rear of the car a bit and handled quite well for a standard 504
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I put Boge inserts on my 504 many years ago and they were great.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

nJm

Ok, I'm ready to get them done now!

So, let me get this straight. Alliquants are not gas inserts so will not raise the ride height, and provide good ride quality. However I shouldn't use them in the rear. Something like KYB's in the rear will also provide great ride quality, stiffen up the handling a little but raise the ride height (not too much of an issue as my springs are sagging).

Does this sound right? I want to make sure I come out of this with a very comfy ride. I've been spending more time in a GTI and it is just a little too harsh for the roads I spend most of my time on. I honestly don't mind in the handling is a little sloppy. This is a GR after all...

If people have any more comments on brands of inserts in regards to ride quality that would be great.

Also, where do you recommend I take the car to get it done? So far I've been quoted 4 hours (at $66 per hour) by a Peugeot specialist. I was thinking of ringing AutoParis next, and then seeing what a suspension shop like Pedders says (if I provided my own shocks).

Any more tips? I'd like as much info as possible before spending a possible $500 on my car...
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

VIP Sponsor

Ok, I'm ready to get them done now!

So, let me get this straight. Alliquants are not gas inserts so will not raise the ride height, and provide good ride quality. However I shouldn't use them in the rear. Something like KYB's in the rear will also provide great ride quality, stiffen up the handling a little but raise the ride height (not too much of an issue as my springs are sagging).

Does this sound right? I want to make sure I come out of this with a very comfy ride. I've been spending more time in a GTI and it is just a little too harsh for the roads I spend most of my time on. I honestly don't mind in the handling is a little sloppy. This is a GR after all...

If people have any more comments on brands of inserts in regards to ride quality that would be great.

Also, where do you recommend I take the car to get it done? So far I've been quoted 4 hours (at $66 per hour) by a Peugeot specialist. I was thinking of ringing AutoParis next, and then seeing what a suspension shop like Pedders says (if I provided my own shocks).

Any more tips? I'd like as much info as possible before spending a possible $500 on my car...

Nick, bring the car around and compare with my GR which has been fitted with the STI rear suspension. The handling was transformed and the ride is still good. The LIP shockers from EAI are good, better than Allinquants, which are no longer available. SEnd me a PM or call on 0429 939 619.

Graham Wallis

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information