505 shocks - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: 505 shocks

Nick, I have a set of GR springs and Dampers sitting in a wrecker in the back yard, also a full set from an SRDT. You are welcome to these at a cheap price. As for fitting them, this is an easy sort of job and one that is quite good to get your hands dirty on. You need minimal equipment, stay away from spring compressors. Bloody dangerous things. I tried to use a set on my Cruiser, in order to get the spring short enough to get it out I had to compress the spring and then use the other one to compress it again. Great got the spring off, now how to get the compressor off? Ended up making sure the spring was held securly and that nothing was in the path of the compressor end that was to fly across the garden. Since then I have always used the weight of the car to control the spring and remove it.

Advertisement
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    Nick, I have a set of GR springs and Dampers sitting in a wrecker in the back yard, also a full set from an SRDT. You are welcome to these at a cheap price. As for fitting them, this is an easy sort of job and one that is quite good to get your hands dirty on. You need minimal equipment, stay away from spring compressors. Bloody dangerous things. I tried to use a set on my Cruiser, in order to get the spring short enough to get it out I had to compress the spring and then use the other one to compress it again. Great got the spring off, now how to get the compressor off? Ended up making sure the spring was held securly and that nothing was in the path of the compressor end that was to fly across the garden. Since then I have always used the weight of the car to control the spring and remove it.

To remove the rear springs you need to remove the drive shafts and shockers plus the anti roll bar links (at the TOP, if you take off the bottom nuts you will lose stuff inside the trailing arm.
    You WILL need spring compressors for the front, preferably good quality ones.

Graham Wallis

Cruiserman, do you know if the SRDT springs and dampers are the same as either STI or GTI bits? i.e. lower and firmer...zac
    Last edited by zac505; 6th June 2004 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo

nJm

So these LIP ones from EAI are the way to go? That's nice to know as I live 10 minutes away from EAI

Graham, I am interested in seeing your GR, although it will have to wait until my Uni exams are over (in just over a week).

Cheers,
    Nick.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have always used the weight of the car to pull the struts apart

use any type of jack to hold the car up and use a scissor jack under the strut for fine movement to assemble and disassembly of the strut

this is much safer than using spring compressors

i have seen these a few times fly apart and it's not a pretty sight including the ones that have a band around them to keep them on either side of the spring to stop them from coming together

i relate struts to maxi brakes on trucks when it comes to safety as they both have the potential to be deadly

if anyone has ever pulled a maxi brake apart they will know what i mean

struts are very easy to do in the car and safer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm

Ok, well just after I had priced new shocks all round and the labour to do it, my mechanic mentioned that there might be quite a bit more that needs doing, and should be done while the front struts are out, such as ball joints, bump stops, etc.

I know for a fact that my bump stops are shagged. Anyway, I rang Pugwreck and they have recently rebuilt front struts (up to 4 years old) and are selling them at $130 per strut. Should I just do that rather than risk finding out I need to spend a few hundred more getting all the other bits replaced?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Ok, well just after I had priced new shocks all round and the labour to do it, my mechanic mentioned that there might be quite a bit more that needs doing, and should be done while the front struts are out, such as ball joints, bump stops, etc.

I know for a fact that my bump stops are shagged. Anyway, I rang Pugwreck and they have recently rebuilt front struts (up to 4 years old) and are selling them at $130 per strut. Should I just do that rather than risk finding out I need to spend a few hundred more getting all the other bits replaced?

if they are rebuilt ones for that price grab them

weigh up the price of the shocks plus the other bits plus labour (easy to do yourself and good practice for your hip pocket) and you will find that this isn't a bad price

ball joints are pretty cheap

what are the rest of the bushes like in the front end ?

if you are going to get new shocks then do the lot and get the most benefit from the whole lot then
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    if they are rebuilt ones for that price grab them

weigh up the price of the shocks plus the other bits plus labour (easy to do yourself and good practice for your hip pocket) and you will find that this isn't a bad price

ball joints are pretty cheap

what are the rest of the bushes like in the front end ?

if you are going to get new shocks then do the lot and get the most benefit from the whole lot then
    The rest of the bushes were done about a year and a half ago when I got a new set of tyres for it.

My only doubt about these struts are that I have no control over what inserts are in them. Still, at that price I shouldn't complain
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    The rest of the bushes were done about a year and a half ago when I got a new set of tyres for it.

My only doubt about these struts are that I have no control over what inserts are in them. Still, at that price I shouldn't complain

in that case grab them and put them in

they are dead easy to put in so save some $$'s for yourself

rears are also dead easy as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Does 'rebuilt' mean original Peugeot dampers rebuilt with new seals etc?

Or does it mean the struts have had some kind of insert fitted?

Very different results are possible...

nJm

I'm not sure. He said that they were tested on the bumpy roads around where their wrecking yard was, and if they were good they put the struts in their warehouse. Some of them might be rebuilt Peugeot sets, others could well have any brand of dampener in it.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

i would say that at least 90% of the pug struts floating around that have had the shocks done in them will have inserts put in place of the original shocks

it is pretty rare to find the original ones unless you find a car that has never had any work done on them

is there any warranty with the ones you can get ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Due to recent experience, I am wary about Rebuilt struts. If they are really cheap, yes but if In any doubt NO.

I just got some inserts for the 504 $130 each Gas ones their name escapes me, will have them in over the weekend so will know how they are then.

If its rubber and It can be replaced, I would do that too. I have done this. Now I can at least assure my self that its all in order. Balljoints are fairly cheap and most of the other rubber bits can be installed relatively cheaply.

my thoughts

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Nick,

Rebuild yours, as much as I like Pugwreck i'd rather have something which I know exactly what was done to!

I did the front end in my '85 SR a few months back at it cost me $600 all up...

Did the Front inserts *Lip Gas*
    Ball joints
    Tie Rods
    Drop Link bars
    Castor Bar Bushes
    Sway Bar Bushes
    and the bushes in the triangle thing

Although mine is a little diff as I have the late model front end it should not cost you much, if any more then that for your stuff....

Ben

PS. whole job only took 1 day to do.....nothing was really that hard either!
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

The standard 505 front inserts are rebuildable provided the hard chrome is not worn through although I have bought hard chromed 19mm rod and machined up the shafts as well. Any bearing place will sell you the teflon coated bronze top bearing for about $12 each, these just knock in, use a soft drift.

Invert the inner tube to use the piston in the opposite end. The seal can be trickier, I made up simple aluminium washers that will hold a conventional oil seals that are about $3 each from the local bearing place. I'm a big rap for standard wet struts.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Agree entirely... the only different tack I might take (and it's only a 'might'...) is I would look into fitting Koni packing-type seals.

the only trouble is finding a pair of struts that are still original

most of them now have been replaced by inserts

the originals generally last quite a fair while but as they have worn out and people have taken them somewhere to get something done they have been ripped out and inserts put in

i agree to a certain point that it is good to rebuild them but i would be one that wouldn't be too worried about chasing up bits of original ones when inserts are there and it is so easy to pull the strut apart and drop them in basically

by the time you machine parts up and the like (which i love doing given the tools, read fitter/machinist) it is just as easy for most to drop an insert in

if i was after time around a track then i'd be chasing for what will work the best
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information