Navigation voice in 2015 308 Allure
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By simca1100

Thread: Navigation voice in 2015 308 Allure

Tadpole

Default Navigation voice in 2015 308 Allure

I have just purchased a beautiful 2L diesel hatch which I love driving. To my dismay the navigation voice is a strange version of English (maybe with a Scottish or Northern English lilt) but worst of all the phrases are not spoken fully. There is a possibility of having just announcements of turn left or turn right etc or pronunciation of actual street names which of course I prefer. It would be hilarious if I wasn't depending on it for guidance however I don't want to have an accident due to the navigation causing confusion.

I took my car to the dealer under warranty and I was advised - just turn the street pronunciation off, problem solved! otherwise nothing wrong with it. I don't think so buddy! Typical fobbing off a woman with bulltish.

I am now advised that all Pug navi's are the same alluding to that I must be dreaming. The sales guy is now going to drive my car and listen to it to explain to the poor service guy what the 'real' problem is.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Update to follow

Advertisement

Is it a case of the voice "reading" the words as displayed?

My (Garmin) GPS is in French and it will treat "St" (street) as Saint. It also reads abbreviations literally; "Turn right upon the Pacific aitch-doubleyew-why" or "Grand Pee-dee-ee" for example (but in French). It made sorta sense when I realised that was exactly what the screen showed, and the vocabulary was too small.

Mine has a definite Welsh twang - you should hear how she says "road". It's quite rawd.

At this stage, she struggles with the pronunciation of Australian road names. I strongly doubt that Sime Darby (the local importer) will take steps to address this, but you may have better luck contacting them directly.

Meanwhile, you may consider having the GPS display selected in front of you, so that when she mangles another upcoming turn street name, it displays in front of you anyway.
    Last edited by SLC206; 21st April 2015 at 06:06 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks for the feedback which confirms my complaint.

In the meantime I have had the car back from the dealer's own test drive with the statement that it is normal for PUGs and nothing can be done about it. Seems a little strange for a Car of the Year Europe 2014 that it has a weird English language speaking navi! Sales guy said he was embarrassed to admit that their service were unable to fix it. Pity they couldn't just admit it in the first place rather than trying to make me feel I was the problem.

Simon thanks also for the suggestion but I have already done this. Bit silly to have to take your eyes off the road due to a stupid street pronunciation - not a good safety advertisement for Peugeot!

It is a lovely car to drive but the navi is just frustrating. My husband has a Mazda which uses Tom Tom as its base so the spoken English is excellent.

Looks like a letter to Peugeot Australia coming up.

That's a shame jols baby. It will be interesting to see whether their low sales will mean the importer won't bother trying, or will do all they can to get a happy customer extolling the virtues of Peugeot.

Welcome to the forum. For any problem regarding French cars, you'll find an answer here, if not a solution.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    That's a shame jols baby. It will be interesting to see whether their low sales will mean the importer won't bother trying, or will do all they can to get a happy customer extolling the virtues of Peugeot.

Welcome to the forum. For any problem regarding French cars, you'll find an answer here, if not a solution.
    Well DanielBendigo thanks for the link to Peugeot Australia.
    The communication is not progressing well at the moment - last reply was as follows:

"Peugeot Automobiles Australia do not produce the mapping software for our vehicles, unfortunately we are unable to change the accent on the GPS feature.
    We sympathise with your situation, however if the dealer has advised there are no updates available, all we can do to change this is pass your feedback on. In future updates there may be an option added to change the accent on the GPS, you can ask the dealer to check for available updates on each service.
    If you feel the vehicle’s GPS is defective please have it assessed by an authorised Peugeot dealer, if they find that it is a manufacturer defect they will submit a request to Peugeot Automobiles Australia on your behalf to have the issue rectified under warranty."

Of course we have had the dealer already look at it and they stated that they were embarrassed that nothing could be done (ie it is the same on all PUG navigation systems).

So it seems I have to live with it - paid 36k for a European Car of the Year 2014 that doesn't pronounce or speak English phrases on the navigation system properly.

Tadpole

Now own a new 308 tdi Allure following recent ownership of gen 5 and gen 6 Golfs. Love much about the car but feel well cheated by the gps when $100 - $200 stand alone, off the shelf units offer lifetime, free, quickly downloadable updates and pronunciation acceptable to Australian owners. GPS was a feature of the sales pitch. Come on Peugeot Australia you can do much better!

It would be an "interesting" case to run via the ACCC against Inchcape in the framework of "fitness for purpose".

A GPS with outdated maps isn't fit for for purpose. And there is a possibility that heavily accented navigation voice isn't either.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

I would give up and stop worrying about it. Over time you will get the hang of how your car pronounces certain words.

It's like going on holiday to New Zealand. After a few days, their accent sounds almost normal. You get used to it.

really, in the greater scheme of things, it is a trivial issue.

I have a new VW Golf and the pronunciation from the GPS is woeful. And I have the "revised" version. I read that the earlier version actually pronounced "road" as "ro-ad" ie, two syllables. The routes it chooses are ludicrous, too. The simple fact is that a $100 GPS stuck on the windscreen will be way better than the inbuilt GPS in most cars. It shouldn't be true, but it is. I had a Navman GPS (windscreen mount) in my old Pug 307 and it was crap, but better than the VW inbuilt one that sells for over $2000 as an add-on for lower model Golfs.My car has inbuilt GPS as standard but it isn't much good.

My partner's 2013 Skoda doesn't have inbuilt GPS so he uses a Garmin, it was top of the line at the time at about $250 and it is fantastic. It has a range of voices, all clear, and it also takes command by voice, you don't have to push any buttons, just say the words "voice command" and it springs to life. You can also manually program in speed limits for roads where the limits aren't already mapped. Brilliant.
    Maybe we should all chip in $5 each and buy a GPS from Garmin, send it to Peugeot and VW to show them how it is done properly...
    GreenBlood likes this.

FYI - Further to the tread I started 308 T9 GPS Update

The dealer's invoice for the $30 upgrade was for a "third party upgrade". However the Welsh voices are still there - much prefer Aussie Karen on iphone for navigation.

The new 308 T9 comes with Apple play. Not sure if this means you now have an alternative to the Pug's nav system if you use an iphone. Only problem is you are using mobile data to use it.

Thread Information