My Pug is possessed! Help!
  • Register
  • Help

My Pug is possessed! Help!

1990 Peugeot 405 S 1.9 automatic

1) Red warning lights come on at the same time at frequent and random intervals when driving (high temperature light, STOP light, BRAKE light and oil pressure light). Oil, brake and coolant level fine. Probably an electrical goblin.

Advertisement

2) Engine pinks, as if running crap grade unleaded (only Shell Optimax for my Pug). Only happens when engine has been warmed up after about 20-30 mins. Particularly bad on hot days, with A/C on. New plugs fixed the problem - for about 3000kms. Engine diagnostic warning lamp comes on occasionaly.

Maybe she's a little sulky after being pushed out of the garage (made way for a BMW 750) and living on the streets, but this is ridiculous.
    Thanks guys.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

[quote]Originally posted by Jez 405:
    <strong>1990 Peugeot 405 S 1.9 automatic

1) Red warning lights come on at the same time at frequent and random intervals when driving (high temperature light, STOP light, BRAKE light and oil pressure light). Oil, brake and coolant level fine. Probably an electrical goblin.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds most likely to be a fault with the coolant level sender,or an improperly bled coolant system to me, Jez.

[quote]<strong>
    2) Engine pinks, as if running crap grade unleaded (only Shell Optimax for my Pug). Only happens when engine has been warmed up after about 20-30 mins. Particularly bad on hot days, with A/C on. New plugs fixed the problem - for about 3000kms. Engine diagnostic warning lamp comes on occasionaly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Poorly adjusted Fuel Injection system? (too lean?)
    Ignition timing out?
    Defective pollution control gear?
    defective FI temperature sensor or wiring?
    contaminated fuel tank?
    excessive engine carbonisation?
    warn distributor advance mechanism?
    defective FI control unit?
    low fuel pump pressure due to dying pump or partially blocked filter?

Cheers

Rod

[ 02 March 2002: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</p>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    [quote]Originally posted by Jez 405:
    <strong>1990 Peugeot 405 S 1.9 automatic

1) Red warning lights come on at the same time at frequent and random intervals when driving (high temperature light, STOP light, BRAKE light and oil pressure light). Oil, brake and coolant level fine. Probably an electrical goblin. <snnip>

Maybe she's a little sulky after being pushed out of the garage (made way for a BMW 750) and living on the streets, but this is ridiculous.
    Thanks guys.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jez,

As strange as this may sound, I suggest you add additional earth wires to the rear light clusters - see my post under 405STI electrical problems solved.

Although you have an earlier 405, the electrical system is 'packed' with diodes in indicator lamp circuits and across relay coils. Poor earth connections will cause all sorts of bizarre problems (as I found), as voltages develop in unintended locations, in turn causing fault relays to pick up.

With my experience, I would go so far as to suggest that Peugeot should issue a service bulletin to carry out the modification. And I say this simply because of the differences in the vehicle since I made that modification, particularly with braking but also with driving. The latter observation may not be that strange as the whole fuel/ignition system is (of course) electronic and would also be subject to interference.

Denis

I have had exactly the same problem as you with my Canadian 1989 405 DL (basically an SRI with 110 HP Bosch Motronic injection).

Namely, the intermittent lighting up at rapid intervals of the STOP, overheat, brake etc. lights accompanied by frenzied relay clicking under the dash and the two cooling fans cycling on and off several times per second. In my case, I believe this has been responsible for the destruction of two voltage regulators in my Mitsubishi 80A alternator.

It's almost certainly not an airlock, but rather a problem in the wiring. I've noticed that it tends to happen when it's wet or humid out. I would suspect connector plugs in the following locations:

1) in the engine compartment LF side, below and slightly in front of the power junction box. Remove the plastic shield that "protects" a number of wiring connectors (it's next to the air filter on the inner fender). Disconnect one by one all of the harness connectors, scrape them lightly with a small screwdriver, coat the terminals (male and female) with silicone diapositive grease. When mine acts up, this sometimes cures it.

2) disconnect the two temperature sender units under the thermostat housing (the one facing forward is a bugger to get off) and do the same as for the other connectors mentioned below, then reconnect.

3) if none of these work, try replacing the two above-mentioned temperature sending units, and soldering all the connectors together (mentioned in item 1).

I suspect that if you do 1 or 2, you'll see an improvement, maybe a cure.

About the pinging, mine does that sometimes too, under heavy acceleration at high revs, and it's worse in dry weather and at sea level (where I now live). When I lived at 1050 m above sea level, it never pinged. I run on 87 octane gas (ROM+MON/2)(the XU9J2 Canada version has an 8.4:1 CR). I figure it's not bad enough or heard frequently enough to cause a problem. My 405's done over 256,000 km so far and is none the worse for wear.

[ 02 March 2002: Message edited by: Mike Tippett ]</p>
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

My partners 89 405 has also been going psycho with furious clicking from under the dash and flashing dash stop light etc. I unplugged the 2 temp senders UNDER the thermostat housing and sprayed contact cleaner inside, replugged and now its all but dissappeared!!! This works! I've also added an extra earth wire to both tailights and it fixed dodgey tailight behaviour!

Thread Information