New to Euro cars
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New to Euro cars

Tadpole

Default New to Euro cars

Hi all, in new to euro cars and the area that I live in isn't known for its diversity. I just bought a 98 306 but there are a few things wrong with it.
    The front windows don't work, the radio and CD player don't work and the interior fan stopped working yesterday.
    The auto electrician I saw says that it's going to cost a couple of thousand to fix just that but I know it can be done cheaper.
    Any tips?

Advertisement

Yeah. Get yourself a wiring diagram and try to follow where everything goes.Your auto sparky probably thinks this is one of those cars with a central module that controls everything. You're lucky - it isn't.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Welcome kylie78. The 306's are great cars and I'm sure once your problems are fixed, you'll get to really enjoy it.

Front windows-this is a known problem and you need to check (or have checked) the wiring harness for breaks where it passes from the inner rear of the front mudguard to the door.

Radio/CD player-have you got the security code for the in dash unit? It may be as simple as entering the 6 digit code to get them both working again.

Interior fan may be just a fuse or at worst, a replacement fan/heater control module.
    BlackC2 likes this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Tadpole

I'm thinking the fan might just be a fuze as it was working fine and then I pressed the air con button and the whole thing went off.
    I bought the car very cheap and have no manuals or security codes for anything so I'm just feeling my way at the moment.
    The sparky said it was a great buy but probably not worth fixing but I'm in love already! It drives so well.
    Anyone got a manual I could buy or borrow? And a wiring diagram? Where would I get one of those?

Have you tried the internet?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Of course I've tried the internet! How do you think I got here?

1000+ Posts

Here's a start: http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop Electrical->306 door harness
    Wiring diagrams can be found at www.autoelectric.ru

Save a copy of http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop...an2/fanop1.htm as at the age of your car you will likely need it.
    Last edited by seasink; 31st March 2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: corrected link

Tadpole

Thank you!

IWS

Kylie,

You have come to the right place to get help :-) We all here love French cars - with all their quirkyness. There is much knowledge and help available here - so use that and avoid being convinced by mechanics who do not understand them that because they are French that means expensive and difficult. Not so with the 306 - which is a pretty simple car.

Ian.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by kylie78 View Post
    G'day kylie 78,
    excellent response.
    Welcome to Aussiefrogs, where all will be explained, in time.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

yeah come on man....
    her Name's Kylie & you probably wonder why you live in the "loneliness capital of the world"

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Have you tried the internet?
    You're supposed to welcome new members...

Sounds like you're onto it Kylie - keep hunting through the wiring & you'll get there.

I once bought a 504 from a 'nice lady' who was told it would cost her $800 to fix the window winder....

a lot of Aussie mechanics are baffled by Euro cars so don't give up hope too quickly

G.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post

a lot of Aussie mechanics are baffled by Euro cars so don't give up hope too quickly

G.
    Surely there are some decent mechanics around Wollongong who know about French cars? Come on AF brains trust - name some!

Ian

If you can provide the car VIN number to a dealer, he should be able to give you the security code. It's located on a plate in the boot, directly below the lock mechanism.

Be aware that some dealers want to see proof of ownership before handing it over.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch

1000+ Posts

Re the radio anti-theft code, Corban, on the old highway at Nth Wollongong, is the local dealer. There are precautions to be observed when changing the battery to keep out of this problem.

306s are not computer intensive multiplexed cars; they are old school electrics.

If you don't have an owners' manual, go to http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ddb/

1000+ Posts

I'm thinking the fan might just be a fuze as it was working fine and then I pressed the air con button and the whole thing went off.
    I bought the car very cheap and have no manuals or security codes for anything so I'm just feeling my way at the moment.
    The sparky said it was a great buy but probably not worth fixing but I'm in love already! It drives so well.
    Anyone got a manual I could buy or borrow? And a wiring diagram? Where would I get one of those?
    Kylie - I find EBay UK a good source for owners manuals. They are available sometimes locally. Make sure you get the right model though. For instance N3 interiors are different to yours.

Workshop manuals are easy to find. Again get one which include the N5 data. The wiring diagrams are rather strange, but reasonably easy to follow.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Do we know for sure it's an N5? 1998 was the change over year from N3 to N5.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch

Welcome to

You may be lucky enough to find the radio's security code written on a sticker on the unit itself. Some helpful previous owner/ service person had done that for me, and it helped a lot the first time I had to take the battery out. I just pulled the radio out and checked the chassis stickers.

It's only a radio/tape deck so not exactly a high value item for thieves, I suppose was the logic.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

As has been mentioned, the radio is not that fancy.

If you pull it out far enough, you'll discover it has the "standard" 2 ISO connectors (often not on the radio - further along the lead) and a replacement radio can be plugged in fairly simply, using just those two plugs and an aerial plug.

Oh, and welcome to
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thank you so much to everyone for your help. I won't have a chance to go over everything until Friday but thanks again! I knew I was in the right place!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    yeah come on man....
    her Name's Kylie & you probably wonder why you live in the "loneliness capital of the world"

You're supposed to welcome new members...

Sounds like you're onto it Kylie - keep hunting through the wiring & you'll get there.

I once bought a 504 from a 'nice lady' who was told it would cost her $800 to fix the window winder....

G.
    God. None of you got it.

If you tried harder, maybe you would have found the haynes manuals on the internet. I've got both 405 and 205 in .pdf format. Can't be sure, but I would hazard a guess the 306 manual is floating about too. They're not the be all and end all of information but are a good starting point.

Kylie,

About the windows. Can you describe it further?

Is there no response?

Is there sounds of a motor but nothing moves?

Is the window stuck somewhere?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

The electrically adjustable external mirrors run through the same wiring loom as the window switches. Do they still operate?

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch

1000+ Posts

For those looking for the "book of lies" online, perhaps I haven't tried hard enough, but I haven't seen a complete copy. You could probably acquire one from the fragments.

There is a complete RTA (French) manual at alt.binaries.ebook.french if you have access to usenet. These are on the whole much more useful, provided the language barrier isn't too much of a problem. Wiring diagrams are included.

Here's the door cabling for example (LH drive, so reverse) New to Euro cars-doors.jpg
    Last edited by seasink; 1st April 2015 at 04:09 PM.

Default 306 woes

Kylie, I recently bought a 306 and the internal fan and aircon did not work. It turned out to be a relay. Cost about $40 to fix.

If you feel like a drive there is a really good "old world" mechanic in Cessnock who knows pugs well....I am sure you will find a non dealer mechanic who knows the brand in your area. A dealer does have the diagnostic equipment that will point them to a cause which saves time.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by freeo46 View Post
    If you feel like a drive there is a really good "old world" mechanic in Cessnock who knows pugs well....I am sure you will find a non dealer mechanic who knows the brand in your area. A dealer does have the diagnostic equipment that will point them to a cause which saves time.
    Mike
    Wollongong to Necknock is a bit of a drive...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information