Ride height, mi16 405
  • Register
  • Help

Default Ride height, mi16 405

Hi all,

Advertisement

I've just yesterday got the entire new front end along with Bilstein B6's installed (with standard/original springs). Rear end also has Bilstein B6's - did take take out/modify the rear torsion bars (assume they are ok?).

Still need to torque up all front end as I need to get the car on a ramp with wheels on to load up everything before torquing up. but was nipped up firm when on the stands.

Question - looking at photos side on of the car with OEM suspension, ride height between top of tyres and arches looked equal front and rear. Assumed from this also that the chassis rail would have been level.

Now, the rear end looks similar to how it was previous, but the front end 'gap' between wheel arch and tyre definitely is bigger when measured with a ruler. I hence thought the front end was 'sitting high' due to the strong gas B6's - but if I put a bubble level along the chassis rail on a flat surface, tells me the car is sitting perfectly level.

Does the MI16 405 sit perfectly level along the chassis rail or does the front sit down somewhat?

I'm confused....front springs were on the workbench for a number of weeks so maybe they need some time to settle again?

Or, possibly the front IS ok, but maybe a rear torsion bar is missing/broken hence the gas rear struts are the only thing holding up the rear end? Can I check this easily?

Car has only been rolled/back forth 2m or so as still no interior.

Any help/comments appreciated.

VIP Sponsor

Where did you get the B6s from?
    I have just bought B4s because they were all I could find.
    Have you dropped the car down after fitting the shocks but before tightening the control arm bolts? They should be tightened after a short drive so the bushes will be centred in the correct spot.
    Otherwise they will work like a mini torsion bar the car will sit high and they will fail in short time.
    Of course this only applies if you have loosened these bolts in the fitting process.
    Cars will sit higher with gas shocks particularly the older ones with soft springs such as 504.
    Car will sit on the bump stops if a torsion bar is broken, so no way.

Ride height should be measured at the jacking points on the sill (where the holes are) on level ground. The rear should be 10-12mm higher than the front.
    This will even up the gap between the tyre & wheel arch.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Imported them from Germany - got them both for under $500 delivered (fronts). Let me know if you want the seller details.

All nuts are still loose, still to be torqued. Car is on wheels sitting on ground, but not driven yet. Entire front end, steering rack, etc is all new.

Good to know about bump stops/torsion bar.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Where did you get the B6s from?
    I have just bought B4s because they were all I could find.
    Have you dropped the car down after fitting the shocks but before tightening the control arm bolts? They should be tightened after a short drive so the bushes will be centred in the correct spot.
    Otherwise they will work like a mini torsion bar the car will sit high and they will fail in short time.
    Of course this only applies if you have loosened these bolts in the fitting process.
    Cars will sit higher with gas shocks particularly the older ones with soft springs such as 504.
    Car will sit on the bump stops if a torsion bar is broken, so no way.
    Last edited by mi16pug; 29th March 2015 at 12:47 PM.

So if front height measurements are more than rear, what's wrong?

Need stiffer rear torsion bar?

Don't really want to lower the car at the front with lowering springs to make it sit right.

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6 View Post
    Ride height should be measured at the jacking points on the sill (where the holes are) on level ground. The rear should be 10-12mm higher than the front.
    This will even up the gap between the tyre & wheel arch.

Actually - I recall you need to preload the rear shocks until you have 328mm between bolt centers on the shock mounts then torque up. Maybe this acts in 'lifting the rear end' up as the struts will be forcing in opposite direction to the torsion bars?

Presently rear shock bolts are also not torqued - just located with nuts loosely screwed on.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16pug View Post
    ......modify the rear torsion bars
    How? What did you do?

EDIT: Ride height adjustment is done with one end of the shocker removed from trailing arm or upper mount. Did you re-fit the torsion bars with or without this done?
    Last edited by pgti6; 29th March 2015 at 01:34 PM.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

THE

the front torsion bar bushes should be clamped onto the bar ,at ride hight ,dont panicky till you have taken it for a cruise over a coupla railway crossings .or you even have trams down there ,come to think of it ,so do we on the goldie

VIP Sponsor

Yes, would like to know where you got them.
    About the bump stops I was just saying that the car would drop to its fullest extent, nowhere near enough pressure in the shocks to hold the car up.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16pug View Post
    Imported them from Germany - got them both for under $500 delivered (fronts). Let me know if you want the seller details.

All nuts are still loose, still to be torqued. Car is on wheels sitting on ground, but not driven yet. Entire front end, steering rack, etc is all new.

Good to know about bump stops/torsion bar.

I think you should do all the checking after installing everything back in the car to have the correct ride height at the correct weight. Some manufacturers have very specific instructions (fuel tank full/empty, weights on seats, etc.).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Agh, I missed a word in my original post a 'I did not(!) remove or modify the torsion bars'

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6 View Post
    How? What did you do?

EDIT: Ride height adjustment is done with one end of the shocker removed from trailing arm or upper mount. Did you re-fit the torsion bars with or without this done?

Online-Shop auf www.cartuningpoint.de

Also search for sellers store on ebayAU. $409 for both including delivery (thought it was more).

I couldn't actually find the Bilsteins in their website - you'll need to brush up on your German!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Yes, would like to know where you got them.
    About the bump stops I was just saying that the car would drop to its fullest extent, nowhere near enough pressure in the shocks to hold the car up.

Thread Information