306 gti-6 lower con arm bushes
  • Register
  • Help
    UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 gti-6 lower con arm bushes

A friend has a 306 gti-6, recently got new tyres and was told by Bob Jane that 'lower con arm bushes due'.

I am assuming this is the lower suspension arm and wonder if it is possible/advisable to put in DIY poly bushes, or should I advise him to take to a mechanic with a press and get rubber bushes installed.

Alternatively, it might be cheaper to pay extra for a whole new suspension arm and save a bit on labour costs as that should be a quicker job.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Looking at 306 arm pictures, it looks like the ball joint is replaceable unit. Bloody awesome. That means you don't really need to replace the arms at all. It's not easy to check the balljoint condition without having the arm completely out of the car. I'd also guess that removal might be very easy because of this, but can't say.

if he just wants bushes then:
    Labour cost for press is about $20-30 based on mechanics ive had press stuff out for me.
    rubber bushes wouldn't be more than $50 all up (poly bushes would be about $60-70). word is that poly ones last longer, I wouldn't know.
    then there's labour for getting it all out, no idea what they'd charge for that. So you are saving I suppose on the press cost + bushes but it might pale in comparison of what they charge for getting the arm out. perhaps $100-200 per side? no idea

no chance of your mate DIYing it? i had no idea what I was doing yet did it all successfully within a few hours.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

no chance at all of him doing it, but I certainly could - removing bushes is easy with a long bolt and couple sockets.

I am unclear if they really meant the bushes, the ball joint, or all three..

I can find replacement arms with balljoint on ebay for about $130/pr (plus shipping from UK) or bush kits for $40 locally. No point me trying if needs a press to install new bushes though - may as well get them to do the whole thing.

Not sure where you are based however, I am about to do a lot of the rubber on my 6 and have a press, if your around south east Vic....
    Current -
    65' 404 Sedan,
    88' 205 GTI/16V
    92' 505 Custom Turbo Wagon
    92' 205 SI
    88' 505 GTI Wagon - PARTING OUT PM ME

Gone -
    04' 206 RC (GTI180)
    2 X 405 STI,
    405 MI16
    98' 406 Coupe
    406 2l
    91' 205 SI
    306 Style,
    3 X 306 GTI6

I had the same thing happen to mine a month ago. I ended up just replacing the whole arm and ball joint. Pretty easy job to DIY, I think it was around 7 bolts a side. The hardest part was getting the bolt in the P-bush. You don't realise how bad the bushes are until you get new ones in!
    Current: 306 gti6 - 2000
    Previous: 306 1.8 XR 1998

Fellow Frogger!

Unless you have access to a press and like a bit of frustration.... then buy the replacement arms.

Having done a couple of sets over the years, I think its always about a 1 - 2 hour job to press out, clean etc and refit (yes poly bushes are faster) So the time + new bushes etc and frustration I reckon is more cost than replacement arms

Last set of new arms where about $140.00 each an took no time at all! But that was a few years ago
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

So, i just did both front and rears in the arm, its a bit fiddly but not so bad, and you dont need a press. I got a set of powerflex replacements.
    Took me one afternoon and I was able to upgrade while i was there, i would recommend it this way and if anyone would like i could put up a run though of how to do it with pics.

Thread Information