404 brake rotors specs
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 brake rotors specs

the brake rotors on my 404 seem to be well worn but I only have an early shop manual covering drums . Could someone please tell me the recommended specs for these?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 disc thickness

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    the brake rotors on my 404 seem to be well worn but I only have an early shop manual covering drums . Could someone please tell me the recommended specs for these?
    Max,
    Can't see any minimum thickness mentioned in the workshop manuals, except for pad lining material.

Checked the spares box and brand new 404 discs are 10mm thick...that at least gives you a point of reference.

Good luck

John

Fellow Frogger!

thanks John,mine are .225 inches, I translate that to just under 6mm. Seems a bit skinny but the car gets minimal use and the pads are near new- I'll keep using her until I can source a pair, It is a bit weird that no-one on the net here or o'seas stock them although the pads are available.
    cheers Max

thanks John,mine are .225 inches, I translate that to just under 6mm. Seems a bit skinny but the car gets minimal use and the pads are near new- I'll keep using her until I can source a pair, It is a bit weird that no-one on the net here or o'seas stock them although the pads are available.
    cheers Max
    Have really close look on the disks. You may find the minimum thickness stamped somewhere.

It's definitely a current requirement to mark the disk. But it may have started after 404s.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Have really close look on the disks. You may find the minimum thickness stamped somewhere.

It's definitely a current requirement to mark the disk. But it may have started after 404s.

Rob ,
    The rotors on the red 404 were new when I got the car... they had numbers and letters stamped around the outer perimeter.
    When I next get under a front wheel arch with a wheel off and a wire brush I'll try to find the answer.

John

Fellow Frogger!

I'll try that too but the edges of the calipers are pure rust buildup I don't like the chances
    Max

Fellow Frogger!

I'll try that too but the edges of the calipers are pure rust buildup I don't like the chances
    Max
    Max,
    depending on how you end up... if you still need a set of rotors give me a call.

John

Fellow Frogger!

No sign of any stamping on mine, I'll ask Phil Speers when I see him. Thanks for the offer. Max

Fellow Frogger!

Rebuilt the calipers, the car wouldn't start. I invested in a new coil and plugs and this fixed that problem-by the way there are people working behind the counter at some auto part places who don't know what a coil for a points distributor is! let alone stock one. took her for a run, running beautifully a pleasure to drive but only just got home as the alternator had packed up- it was an old bosch that had been retrofitted. luckily I have a tame auto electrician who hoards old bits and rebuilt it for me- I'll fit it this w/end and try again.

Have a chat with the Goodwins at Cessnock - they have this information I know because I took a set to them a while ago & Malcolm advised they were under minimum thickness.

my new ones were 10mm FYI

Rgds
    G.
    UOTE=Maxy;1347701]Rebuilt the calipers, the car wouldn't start. I invested in a new coil and plugs and this fixed that problem-by the way there are people working behind the counter at some auto part places who don't know what a coil for a points distributor is! let alone stock one. took her for a run, running beautifully a pleasure to drive but only just got home as the alternator had packed up- it was an old bosch that had been retrofitted. luckily I have a tame auto electrician who hoards old bits and rebuilt it for me- I'll fit it this w/end and try again.[/QUOTE]

Hi John,

I know this is an old post, but I am trying to source a pair of rotors for a 1970 404. Can you help?

Thanks,

Gerard.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry Gerard,
    I sold that pair of rotors on to another Aussie frogs subscriber about twelve months ago.

Good luck.

John

OK, thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by bahay View Post
    Sorry Gerard,
    I sold that pair of rotors on to another Aussie frogs subscriber about twelve months ago.

Good luck.

John

Minimum thickness is usually marked on the rotor somewhere. I vaguely recall on the outer circumference on 404 disks.

It a legal requirement on modern disk to mark it.

1000+ Posts

Disk brakes australia have them listed ,pugs

Thread Information