207 GTI Turbo 'oil leak' - Opinions?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 207 GTI Turbo 'oil leak' - Opinions?

Default 207 GTI Turbo 'oil leak' - Opinions?

Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of reading on the forum lately and have seen that the 207 turbo oil leak is a bit of a problem with these cars.

I have noticed that in the last 10k klm mine has started to 'weep' oil at this location.
    I have attached an image below of the area and I am just wondering, how bad is it based on what you see and how long potentially could I have before a failure?

The oil barely picks up on your fingers, but there is oil there

Advertisement

Thanks for your input in advance.

Well, it's never going to get better.
    steves207 likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Replace the line with one of the kits available from detroittuned.com.

They make kits for R56 Mini Cooper S . Same engine, same leak!

The Detroit tuned kits are cheaper than OEM and much better made. I recommended one to a forum member who purchased one for his 308 Turbo. He was impressed the quality and price.

If you need an OEM, try one of the Mini suppliers in the US (ECS Tuning). Eurocarenet in the U.K. also do genuine pug and cit parts and are much cheaper than Aus dealers.

But look up Detroit Tuned first. Order the little heat shield that sits over the banjo bolt also.

Great info, thanks!
    I will look it up tonight. Is the main cause of this problem heat related?

Its something ive got on my high priority list to fix, but I cant get to it within the next couple of weeks.... Im hoping such a weeping leak doesn't get much worse in the mean time.

Ive been looking through the history of my car a little closer lately, the previous mech services have been using 5w-40. Looking at the Peugeot oil recommendations chart it does say that 5w-40 should not be used, but 5w-30 should, could this be a contributing factor?

cheers
    Steve

Tadpole

Steve, this is a common issue with the THP engine and you should get onto it asap...last thing you want is a turbo rebuild, the kit Kaza1 mentioned looks like a high quality kit and it's a reasonably easy fix. (download yourself a workshop manual so you can get in and out of where you need to go)

Great tip there Kaza1...mine was replaced by previous owner with genuine, but I'm definitely fitting one of the Detroit Tuned kits. They have some nice stuff in their shop that I didn't know I desperately needed until just now.

Just loosen the top banjoe bolt of 1/4 to 1/2 half turn tighten it back down clean up the area with brakeclean
    Run the engine anr re check for leaks later .
    There is 2 copper washers in there each side of the banjoe the silver barrel shaped bit that is where the oil appears to be coming from .
    If it does nor reseal replace the 2 copper washers

It wont re-seal you need a new line, You will have to take the down pipe off and all the heat shields I had to do my 207 gti took a few hrs too!!

The other end is in the block at the front behind the exhaust downpipe heat shield.

I just got a braided oil feed line with same ends on cost me $115 bucks ish then my own labor..

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Thanks all for the replies!
    Im just about to hop onto Detroit tuned site now.
    Im not too scared of tackling this sort of thing myself, I have a torque wrench ready.

What exactly is leaking on these hoses? Is it the 'crimped' connection of the hose to banjoe?

Yep usually the crimped bit :-(

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Replace the line with one of the kits available from detroittuned.com.

They make kits for R56 Mini Cooper S . Same engine, same leak!

The Detroit tuned kits are cheaper than OEM and much better made. I recommended one to a forum member who purchased one for his 308 Turbo. He was impressed the quality and price.

If you need an OEM, try one of the Mini suppliers in the US (ECS Tuning). Eurocarenet in the U.K. also do genuine pug and cit parts and are much cheaper than Aus dealers.

But look up Detroit Tuned first. Order the little heat shield that sits over the banjo bolt also.
    Hi Kaza, are these the kits you're referring to? MINI Gen 2 Turbo Oil Return Line and MINI Cooper S Turbo Oil Line Heat Sheild

You could get the crimp silver soldered for about $30.
    addo likes this.

Just thinking, if im replacing the hose anyway, do you think heat resistant sealant would be an ok temporary fix around the crimped join, till I can get to it in a couple of weeks time?
    I think most are about 260deg rated

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by 207GTi View Post
    Hi Kaza, are these the kits you're referring to? MINI Gen 2 Turbo Oil Return Line and MINI Cooper S Turbo Oil Line Heat Sheild
    This is the one you need....

Detroit Tuned MINI Cooper S Turbo Oil Line KIT

And select R56 as the option.

Quote Originally Posted by steves207 View Post
    Just thinking, if im replacing the hose anyway, do you think heat resistant sealant would be an ok temporary fix around the crimped join, till I can get to it in a couple of weeks time?
    I think most are about 260deg rated
    No, you have internal pressure to contend with. Silver solder will creep into the join, that is why it was suggested.

Cheers for your help and replies.
    I have organised a semi temporary car for the mean time till I can get the replacement and get it installed. Just hoping nothing happens in the few in between driving times till its done.
    Thanks once again!

Just a quick one. Should there be any 'sliding' play/movement between the crimped portion of banjoe and steel portion of hose that is supposedly crimped into the banjoe? This is maybe worse than I thought

I would not think so. A crimped plumbing fitting allows at best slight rotation due to an O-ring, can't see your situation being much different.

You're unlikely to lose a significant amount of oil without noticing, so plan a repair strategy and clean up spillage as required. Hot oil under pressure, is going to creep a lot and look worse than it really is.

Many "hose doctor" type shops can silver solder or braze a connection like that. It's a good interim fix.

Thanks Cool... but Im assuming the fitting has to be off the car to be soldered? If not great, but if that is the case, as cheap as it may be, I might as well just put a new one on

No way can it be done on-car; that would be 99% impossible without a lot of mess and risk of incomplete repair.

Yup, thats what I suspected....
    Man this sucks.... I know what to do though....
    Many thanks for all the help!

Good news for me is that it is covered in my second hand warranty. Not sure that the detroit tuned line is able to be covered. But you win some you loose some.
    Again, much appreciated for all help and replies.

Cheers
    Steve

Tadpole

The Detroit stuff don't seem to ship to Sydney?

If you click on their "International Shipping" tab, check out the very first line.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    If you click on their "International Shipping" tab, check out the very first line.
    Oh, right - they are out of town haha

Cheers

Just doing some research on some of the potential costs of owning a 207 GTI.

I'm very tempted to get one... but our family has only ever owned Japanese cars until the recent addition of a Golf Gti Mk7!

Toyota Camry 96 (sold 2014), Mitsubishi Lancer 00 (still have it), Integra Type R 02 (still have it)) and they really haven't given us much headaches at all, especially when you consider the age of them!

That said, the prices of a 207 Gti are in the sub $10k range for a 2007 model with sub 100k km.. the price is so lucrative and tempting!

Are there any other common problems with the 207 gti? Niggles with the electrics like audio, power windows, cruise control etc?

The only common problems I read are the turbo oil leaks, timing chains and sometimes the tyre pressure system and the ABS/ESP.

If it costs $2-3k to fix the turbo pipe leak, timing chain with a decent mechanic and I can get away with the tyre pressure and ABS, that still puts the cost to buy a 207 GTI and have it run decently to around $10-12k or so. (Still a bloody bargain, compared to similar aged hot hatches!)

Cheers

Looks like i've got the dreaded turbo oil leak, looks a bad one. I only have the one car, anyone know what damage I could do to the car if it goes before I can repair it?

207 GTI Turbo 'oil leak' - Opinions?-20170129_142827.jpg

I've contacted Detroit Tuned and i'm going to order the replacement oil line kit. Can anyone tell me how difficult/ how long it might take if I decided to do it myself? I've got a reliable mechanic I can use but if it's one of those jobs I could tackle myself i'd be happy to do it.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information