307 T6 auto 2 litre stalling
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: 307 T6 auto 2 litre stalling

Default 307 T6 auto 2 litre stalling

Mrs P's car disgraced itself this morning by running out of puff just round the corner from home, then refusing to restart.

When the key was turned once I turned up, it showed all the signs of a flat battery, with beeps, electronic confusion and no cranking.

Advertisement

Once I put the jump starter leads on it started fine and idled happily.

I thought maybe the charging circuit was dodgy, but a check with the multi-meter shows it charging happily, and holding reasonable volts once turned off.

Apparently it's stalled after reversing down our drive once or twice, and Mrs P has assumed this is part and parcel of the fuelling issue we seem to have (sometimes won't start when fuel shows a third full or a bit more, then starts happily once a jerry can full in poured in.

I've got no idea how old the battery is, and am loath to disconnect it at present, just to be able to remove the cover and see the unit. (Stupid design for mine, but what can you do?) That being said, I reckon a new battery is a prudent precaution coming in to Winter.

So can anyone tell me is there any tweaks and tricks associated with changing the battery? Is it as straight forward as it should be?

Has anyone else experienced this sort of random stalling?

Having done a quick search, I see mention of throttle position sensor and/or maybe a tempo sensor causing issues. I would have expected either or both of these, if faulty, to generate some kind of alarm, but the fault log says "no fault".

Your thoughts would be welcomed. Since it's nearly due for the regular ministrations of Auto Paris, I might take the easy way out and book it in, but that means surrendering Mephistopheles to the Mrs and driving the Mini or the DS. Ah well, I guess I can tough it out!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Last edited by pottsy; 20th March 2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Petrol or diesel?

Sorry, 2 Litre petrol with AL4.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Given the delight 307s take in erasing their BSI memory, I would use a dummy battery to hold the voltage to your car whilst changing the battery. This could be simple as another battery in parallel, or one of the more sophisticated purpose-made items. A load test on the old unit will tell all.
    borosa likes this.

I called NRMA. Membership pays for a tech to come out (car won't start) and do a diag for a dodgy battery. Once confirmed, have a nice day and head down to the parts shop. Saves buying a battery you can't return if that isn't the issue...

You're welcome.

Drove the car today. Not completely convinced it's the battery yet, but I reckon we'll change it anyway on spec.

Cold start this morning was hesitant, as in, lights on the dash went out, wipers started and dash beeped, then the motor cranked and all was well!

Strange.

After sitting all day in a car park (while I attended a seminar on making Mini engines go better with David Vizard, another story), the 307 started fine, but coughed and hesitated a couple of times as I drove out of the car park. All was well as soon as I accelerated away.

Coupled with the occasional "flat spotty" feel to the throttle on gentle (light) throttle acceleration, I'm wondering if maybe we have a couple of issues here.

The throttle position sensor (TPS) has been mentioned as a potential problem in some 307 related posts.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Without wanting to grizzle too much, I have to say it's disappointing that a car with (a) full dealer service history and (b) only 87000Km on the clock, should be presenting the odd issue, but I suppose we must expect the occasional problem with such complex machines. (That being said, it apparently had the AL4 replaced under warranty and recently we had the solenoids replaced! Not happy about that!)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Thread Information