P504 fan hub chatter noise - help needed
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By signwilson

Thread: P504 fan hub chatter noise - help needed

Default P504 fan hub chatter noise - help needed

Hi all

I replaced my water pump, welsh plug behind the pump, new radiator, fan swith, thermostat and even replaced the cable with the carbon tip that runs from the radiator fan swith to the fan hub. All about 4 months ago.

The car has been running great through the hot months of the Brisbane heat with the fan cutting in and bring temps down whilst idling in traffic.

Advertisement

Yesterday I started to hear a chatter sound from the water pump when the fan cut in. The sound is only there when the fan is engaged. The front bearing is all good and I can spin the fan when the engine is off without any noise

Any ideas what it could be? If I need to buy a new hub any ideas where I can source one?

I had a look on Serio04 and Franzose websites but can not see that particular part (unless I am just blind!)

Thanks heaps

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Hi all

I replaced my water pump, welsh plug behind the pump, new radiator, fan swith, thermostat and even replaced the cable with the carbon tip that runs from the radiator fan swith to the fan hub. All about 4 months ago.

The car has been running great through the hot months of the Brisbane heat with the fan cutting in and bring temps down whilst idling in traffic.

Yesterday I started to hear a chatter sound from the water pump when the fan cut in. The sound is only there when the fan is engaged. The front bearing is all good and I can spin the fan when the engine is off without any noise

Any ideas what it could be? If I need to buy a new hub any ideas where I can source one?

I had a look on Serio04 and Franzose websites but can not see that particular part (unless I am just blind!)

Thanks heaps
    Is the fan clutch slipping?

Have you set the "air gap" ie the distance between the faces of clutch when the coil is unpowered.

Are the clutch faces badly scored ? This can stop clutch locking well.

What Rob said but 1st remove the carbon brush and check/clean so that it slides freely in its plastic housing. (?)
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

Just might be a loose fan belt -- handles the alternator and water pump, but gets squawky when the fan cuts in.

Have fun,

Rob.

One of my previous 504's had this problem.
    Worn carbon brush on the fan switch.
    Temp. fix, stretch the brush spring.

The hub/pulley gap that Rob mentions is important and should be .3mm. If it isn't set correctly the fan will chatter exactly as you describe. Of course, and as per previous posts, check the carbon brush as well and the condition of the mating clutch faces.

Fellow Frogger!

the carbon brush is probably broken in 2 inside the plastic, although it's new.
    i bought several and they all lived no more than 1 month.

Carbon Brush is brand new, but will check that in the morning as well as the gap as mentioned. Fingers crossed that is all it is.

Cheers

I threw my fan and put in a nice big thermo fan problem solved nice cool engine
    2pac likes this.

I looked at my old Haynes manual last night so I could work out how to adjust the hub. The manual said to refer to section 7, but section 7 was something totally different!!!!

Does anyone know how to adjust the fan hub? I see there are 3 adjuster studs, but where do I measure the tolerance?

If I do go down the path of an electric thermo fan, which side is best to mount the fan and can I simply run the fan wires from the switch in the bottom of the radiator?

Thanks heaps

You will need a .3mm feeler gauge and two spanners - one about 6mm and a ring spanner about 11mm (can't remember the exact sizes).

When looking down onto the plastic collar of the fan, you'll see some scalloped sections. If you look at those sections you'll see the gap in question.

Check the gap closest to an adjusting screw (which will consist of a square screw of about 5mm and a locking nut of about 11mm at the front of the fan). If the proves to be .3mm then that particular one won't need adjusting. Note: there are three of them to check. Turn the fan around until the next adjusting screw is at the top and check the gap closest to that screw. Adjust if necessary and continue to the last screw/gap.

To adjust, loosening the lock nut a bit will alow you to adjust the gap. With the gap set correctly, tighten the lock nut up and recheck the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    You will need a .3mm feeler gauge and two spanners - one about 6mm and a ring spanner about 11mm (can't remember the exact sizes).

When looking down onto the plastic collar of the fan, you'll see some scalloped sections. If you look at those sections you'll see the gap in question.

Check the gap closest to an adjusting screw (which will consist of a square screw of about 5mm and a locking nut of about 11mm at the front of the fan). If the proves to be .3mm then that particular one won't need adjusting. Note: there are three of them to check. Turn the fan around until the next adjusting screw is at the top and check the gap closest to that screw. Adjust if necessary and continue to the last screw/gap.

To adjust, loosening the lock nut a bit will alow you to adjust the gap. With the gap set correctly, tighten the lock nut up and recheck the gap.
    Hope you can get the gist.....

P504 fan hub chatter noise - help needed-wp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post

If I do go down the path of an electric thermo fan, which side is best to mount the fan and can I simply run the fan wires from the switch in the bottom of the radiator?

Thanks heaps
    No, you'll need to use a relay and source the power from the battery, ideally. Use the wires going to the clutch to trigger the relay on and off. This is how I did it, anyway. I'm sure if you tried to simply run the fan from the wire going to the clutch or radiator you would burn them out in no time flat.

Either side will work. Whatever fits best for your application, just make sure that the fan is rotating the correct way and the blade orientation is correct.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by signwilson View Post
    I threw my fan and put in a nice big thermo fan problem solved nice cool engine
    +1...

Thanks heaps for everyone's replies. I can now go and check the fan clutch tolerance.

Thread Information