406 locking problem
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 406 locking problem

Our 406 (D9 sedan) has a locking issue. If I use the remote, all doors try to lock, then immediately unlock again.

Do the following observations help me diagnose which door has the problem?

Advertisement

* If I manually lock the front passenger door (either with key or from inside) the behaviour is identical to what I see if I press the remote button - all doors briefly lock, then bounce back to unlocked position.

* If I manually lock the driver's door (again - either with key or from inside) then the driver's door simply locks with no problem - but has no effect on other doors - they do not respond at all.

Does this imply that the problem lies with the driver's door?

Next question : are D9 406 door locking mechanism interchangeable with other PSA models (eg. Series I Xantia or Series II 605)?

Cheers

Alec

What does Peugeot Planet say? It will normally tell you which door is naughty.

I had some problems with my last D9 Sedan; 1) the rear passenger door just stopped locking on the remote ... Turns out the Bosche solenoid was broken, so we got a new one, and 2) at one point I had the problem as you describe ... lock them remotely and then instantaneously they unlocked ... Turned out (in my case) the plastic button was getting locked ON on the remote and it was flashing signals all over the place. Solution was that I pulled the remote apart, cleaned and reassembled and Voilla as they say, and 3) another time of remote lock unreliability, I simply changed the remote battery all was good.

My best advise is check the button and replace battery on the remote. Perpaps disconnec the car battery, and then reconnect.

Good luck!

Adam

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    What does Peugeot Planet say? It will normally tell you which door is naughty.
    Yes I thought it would - still not working however...

WLB

I've been having an identical problem with a D8 for a couple of years, except that the various tests you performed made no difference. Still haven't figured out what's wrong so the control module buried behind the glove box is currently unplugged, thereby returning everything to good old fashioned manual locking on all doors. Pulling out the fuse wasn't a good solution as it's shared with the radio's memory circuit.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acf321 View Post
    I had some problems with my last D9 Sedan;
    2) at one point I had the problem as you describe ... lock them remotely and then instantaneously they unlocked ... Turned out (in my case) the plastic button was getting locked ON on the remote and it was flashing signals all over the place. Solution was that I pulled the remote apart, cleaned and reassembled and Voilla as they say, and 3) another time of remote lock unreliability, I simply changed the remote battery all was good.

My best advise is check the button and replace battery on the remote. Perhaps disconnect the car battery, and then reconnect.

Good luck!

Adam

Thanks Adam, but I don't think it can be the remote, as I get exactly the same result whether I use the remote, or use the key in the passenger door, or (sitting inside) press the button/lever thing on the front passenger door. If I manually lock the driver's door - with key or internal button/lever - just that door locks, with no effect on other doors at all.

Anyone have any thoughts about my 2nd question - are the door lock mechanisms the same as any earlier PSA models?

Cheers

Alec

I had problems with my central locking there were resolved by replacing the central locking control unit (didn't cost much). I detailed it on a thread on this forum somewhere. Of course, mine's a D8 so you can expect that the system is different. In the process of diagnosing the problem I learned a bit though. The usual cause of the system unlocking itself is that something is preventing the actuators from locking a door (usually when a door is not properly shut). When the actuators fail, it also (perhaps not always) causes the system to unlock again, and the particular door that doesn't lock is often the culprit, and I'd say that's probably your driver's side door.

As Addo said, if you have the tools, PP2000 will probably tell you what the problem is.
    Current:
    1999 406SV (D8)
    Previous:
    1986 BX19GT

Thread Information