405 Brakes Sticking
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By philipjh

Thread: 405 Brakes Sticking

Icon7 405 Brakes Sticking

Weird one here, gents.

Have had the car laid up for quite some while, freed the rear calipers by winding the pistons in, cleaning and greasing the slides. Seems pretty much normal except when you try to drive, it is clearly dragging on the brakes! Haven't changed the ride height or adjusted the handbrake cables.

I'm thinking the booster is pulling on a bit - has anyone seen this phenomenon? Going to play with removing the vacuum line, and also see if there is a preload on the master cylinder (master not that old, brake flex lines all PTFE braided). Non-ABS, diagonally split brakes.

Cheers, Adam.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Not the short flexible lines collapsed inside not allowing pressure to release?

No, they're comparatively new Goodridge items. The braid (clear sleeved) would be wet with fluid if they'd failed like that.

bad piston seal not allowing piston to relax?

1000+ Posts

Try cracking the bleeder and see if it stops dragging ,could be something sticking in the compensation valve pugs

Did you jack up the drivers side wheel to open the proportioning valve before winding back the pistons? If not, there may be residual pressure between it and the wheel cylinder which has pushed the piston back out against the disc.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

I popped a bleeder onto the calipers in turn, created a little pressure with the tool then cracked the bleeder slightly until I had a "head" of fluid in the bleed tube - then opened it more and wound the calipers in steadily before nipping the bleeders shut. I kitted them three years ago with TRW seals, they seemed to not be stuck. Similarly I have also been through the proportioning valve in my ownership and it was mint. Fluid all looked good, compared with new fluid it wasn't discoloured or cloudy.

What I do remember thinking back, is the first time I pressed on the footbrake after three years, there was resistance, then a "crack" as the pedal moved. It's why I think there is a possible issue with the booster. I'll loosen the master cylinder off, to see if there's preload.

There's a good 2mm preload on the master - not changed since install (not good either, mind). I think disconnection of the vacuum is next to try.

Is it an utter bastard to remove the booster in-situ without touching the pedal bracket?

Are there other boosters that fit?

Fellow Frogger!

Had a similar problem with a Mazda 626 my daughter was driving a few years back.

The one way valve on the the booster wasn't functioning properly and as soon as the car warmed up the brakes locked on.

Replaced the booster and all was good.

I think the simple check is to disconnect the vacuum to the booster and see what happens.

You'll need a bit more pedal pressure but brakes should still pull you up the same.
    addo likes this.

That's just what I did - haven't tested it yet, as it's parked in.

Really annoys me, because it's an incredibly simple system on this car!

Quick test, booster vac line plugged and no more dragging. Yay, plus a grumble at the R&R now required!

A bit like the old TV adverts: "Wait! There's more!"

Yes, booster was stuffed, I bought one from a "Fellow Frogger" and refurbished it (documented elsewhere on the site).

However, upon dismantling to R&R the booster, I discovered the (PBR) master cylinder was totally stuffed! It's only five years old, too. It had shaft corrosion so bad, it was frequently sticking when pushed on. I dismantled it for a look-see and one of the seals inside was damaged by foreign matter, not sure whether it was swarf as delivered, or back-flushing allowed some corrosion into the chamber...

Oh, and the reservoir cracked open from UV damage. Clearly, it's "One of those weeks"...

Thread Information