• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: DPF removal on 307 ?

Tadpole

Default DPF removal on 307 ?

Hi all, following my last thread on DPF problems, has anyone successfully removed their DPF and continued to run safely and with no warning lights.
    Cheers
    Ian

Advertisement

Ooh... Wait for the flood of righteousness! I can see people walking across the water to condemn you, even now. It's a common approach in the UK, people charge a whole lot less to remap with a DPF delete. Quite likely you could send your ECU off to be done, and then posted back.

Realistically, though, if you're in Albury the car is likely to get "exercised" more in line with the requirements for keeping a DPF healthy. If you run this problem to ground with a knowledgeable techie then it may be your next option.
    borosa likes this.

Tadpole

Thought that would stir things up a bit.
    I'd still like to keep things as standard as possible, but Peugeot here can't fit my (imported non-OEM) DPF and keep compatibility with the car's ECU / sensors. If I was cynical I'd be looking for conspiracy theories.!
    I think even the strongest Francophile would admit the parts prices here are over the top. It's reaching the point where 200k km is the serviceable life of a car such is the cost of parts and labour to maintain them. It's more viable to buy new and dispose of it when warranty runs out. And I thought these little diesels went forever, tongue firmly in cheek.
    Ian

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idiver01 View Post
    Thought that would stir things up a bit.
    I'd still like to keep things as standard as possible, but Peugeot here can't fit my (imported non-OEM) DPF and keep compatibility with the car's ECU / sensors. If I was cynical I'd be looking for conspiracy theories.!
    I think even the strongest Francophile would admit the parts prices here are over the top. It's reaching the point where 200k km is the serviceable life of a car such is the cost of parts and labour to maintain them. It's more viable to buy new and dispose of it when warranty runs out. And I thought these little diesels went forever, tongue firmly in cheek.
    Ian
    It can be done - however it is part of the vehicle emissions system and the EPA like handing out whopping fines to workshops that are stupid or careless enough to do it (or get caught). Other option is find someone with a clue to fix it properly and then you'll be fine for another couple 100'000km.

No - I won't fit your delete kit and reprogram it sorry
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Try these people supposed to be good don't know how much DPF Service Solutions and Removal? The Best Place For DPF Problems
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Fellow Frogger!

This is what I was asking on other day - the guy I spoke to claims he can turn off DPF in Peugeot.
    Cheers
    AP

These DPF removal clan sound like a pack of turkeys! This page alone is filled with so much sensationalism, it makes the Daily Terrorgraph (or your local Murdoch publication) sound lame! What a load of drivel... Drive up business using scare tactics. Morons!

DPF Volkswagen Amarok from an Automotive Standpoint

Ultimately, DPFs do need physical intervention of some sort. Whether cleaning, replacement or bypassing. People need to be aware this cost is a certainty in whatever form they choose to approach it.

If you divide the cost of this action by the time between such events, it doesn't seem so bad. I checked the price of a FAP for the 308 1.6 diesel, P/N 1611904280 and in Europe the genuine part is about €650 with 19% sales tax included. That's not too foul. Aussie price I can't get at present.

What I dislike is two things. Firstly some of this technology is not suited to vehicles predominantly running an urban cycle, it is there for the manufacturer's amassing of brownie points, and secondly, I believe some DPF systems were brought to market prematurely in response to EEC pollution regs tightening. Yet owners now bear the cost of that rush.

It's little surprise that Europe is trending back towards vastly more efficient petrol engines, instead of diesel.
    Last edited by addo; 19th March 2015 at 10:44 PM.
    Fordman likes this.

What amazes me is that diesel engines put out for less pollution than most petrol engines anyway so why do they need all this stuff. It is just another way to rip of the poor motorist

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by signwilson View Post
    What amazes me is that diesel engines put out for less pollution than most petrol engines anyway so why do they need all this stuff. It is just another way to rip of the poor motorist
    Apparently you use 15-20% less diesel without DPF.
    cheers
    AP

I hope you've good data to back that up. Gut feeling is less than five percent difference - look at the matrix design.

1000+ Posts

The engineers that design these things really do know some science, can do the maths, and back up their work in the lab. They don't try to make stuffed up engines for back yarders to fix.

I've just been reading the extensive section in Mollenhauer & Tschoeke on diesel engine design devoted to exhaust design and emissions. It turns out that the FAP is a porous filter with a very large surface area and quite low flow resistance whose small back pressure forms part of the engine design.

The accumulation of catalyst charged soot is what creates inefficiency, and this is burnt off at intervals about 300 km to 800 km apart, determined by computer assessment of the loading. Regeneration at 5 - 10 g/L is recommended to obviate local damage from the heating process.

After regeneration the cerium material (Eolys) remains, and in time this blocks the filter.
    Additive systems blend additives (usually cerium or iron compounds) into fuel. The metal bonds to the soot during engine combustion. This produces a surface area of soot in the filter that is doped with mixed oxides that lower the ignition temperature to 450–500 deg C, which allows reducing the scope of the aforementioned measures. After the soot oxidizes, the metal oxide remains in the filter as residue and thus increases the ash fraction that thermal regeneration is unable to remove.
    The result is FAP cleaning or replacement at quite long intervals.
    borosa likes this.

Fact is, it's a necessary evil. The shit that comes out of the exhaust pipe is bad for the environment, and bad for human health. I'm in the same boat as everybody else, but for the sake of mine and my kids health, I will deal with the situation when it arises. Forewarned is for forearmed...

Thread Information