Help! Peugeot 3008 Major Issues!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By french-car-newb

Thread: Help! Peugeot 3008 Major Issues!

Icon8 Help! Peugeot 3008 Major Issues! [spoke to sson][Finally Resolved]

I always had this problem when starting from cold. The car would shudder but this would quickly go away and it will be smooth as. Today the jerkiness lasted much longer and I could barely drive it up the slope out of my garage. Applying accelerator bu the car does not move. It does move in reverse gear but just. I tried to drive around the block but it was very sluggish and dangerous. The revs would go up to 2.5K with the car barely moving. Somehow I managed to bring it back to the garage and I guess it will remain there for some time. Strangely the radiator fan comes on very loud even after the engine is stopped. The coolant temp is OK (<70). It turns off after about 5 minutes or so.

Is this in limp mode? If it is I would say it is a very dangerous way to protect the car and put the occupants at risk! A bus almost crashed into me at the roundabout as the car would not move.

Advertisement

Anyone has any pointers on what I should be looking for?
    Last edited by french-car-newb; 15th May 2015 at 01:39 PM.

Handbrake seized on?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Handbrake seized on?
    Occams Razor for the win...

Failing that, is it possible the auto is slipping and causing all the issues? I'm not sure if the 3008 has the wondrous piece of shit known as the AL4, but if it does, that might be the culprit. If it's not, give it time.

Is it turbo diesel or petrol?

Could be wastegate failure. There was a 3008 owner on here a few weeks back with a similar complaint of lack of go go.

IWS

The poster here http://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/50l...djustment.html seems to describe the same problem.

The emission control causes the cold starting issue on all PSA products from your & my C4's era. Only the diesels start up well. 98 octane improves it over 95 yet still crappy yet it is apparently better for the environment (yet takes more revs & time??) Sounds like water or diesel in your fuel to be as bad as you report (yet it revs?) Are there warning lights on? BSI will have lodged a fault for diagnostics. Good luck.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by french-car-newb View Post
    I always had this problem when starting from cold. The car would shudder but this would quickly go away and it will be smooth as. Today the jerkiness lasted much longer and I could barely drive it up the slope out of my garage. Applying accelerator bu the car does not move. It does move in reverse gear but just. I tried to drive around the block but it was very sluggish and dangerous. The revs would go up to 2.5K with the car barely moving. Somehow I managed to bring it back to the garage and I guess it will remain there for some time. Strangely the radiator fan comes on very loud even after the engine is stopped. The coolant temp is OK (<70). It turns off after about 5 minutes or so.

Is this in limp mode? If it is I would say it is a very dangerous way to protect the car and put the occupants at risk! A bus almost crashed into me at the roundabout as the car would not move.

Anyone has any pointers on what I should be looking for?
    Is the car under warranty still?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Handbrake seized on?
    And with no lights? It seems to be working but I may be wrong. One would assume if the brake light is off that the Handbrake is off. Note that this is a electric brake not a handbrake in the true sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Failing that, is it possible the auto is slipping and causing all the issues? I'm not sure if the 3008 has the wondrous piece of shit known as the AL4, but if it does, that might be the culprit. If it's not, give it time.

Is it turbo diesel or petrol?

Could be wastegate failure. There was a 3008 owner on here a few weeks back with a similar complaint of lack of go go.
    It is petrol. I was the "wastegate owner". The wastegate problem has not been resolved as "the mechanics" are still very busy. There is a replacement turbo waiting for me. Why would a turbo wastegate cause the car to behave this way?

Auto is slipping - it sure feels like it is. Rev the engine and no go. I might try the other gears.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Is the car under warranty still?
    AWN 3 years. They have been OK so far and fixed the aircon problem I had.

Fellow Frogger!

Yours will be the 1.6 THP motor with the AT6 auto.

The symptoms sound like the High pressure fuel pump playing up - first symptoms are cold start roughness and eventual power loss and no start situations. Google R56 mini high pressure fuel pump problems and you will get a picture. Minis use the same engine and there are tests to validate.

If it is the pump, get them from the U.S. As they are the same as a mini r56 n14 and hell lot cheaper than pug.

There is write up on the Americanmotoring site (mini forum) on how to do it yourself, and also a discussion of the symptoms and a place in the U.S. To buy the part from. Google the following:

diy-hpfp-replacement-how-to-replace-high-pressure-fuel-pump-on-mini-cooper-r56

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Yours will be the 1.6 THP motor with the AT6 auto.

The symptoms sound like the High pressure fuel pump playing up -
    Great suggestion. It may explain why the RPM goes upto 2000 but still not much power. It is going into repair on Monday all will be revealed.

Tadpole

Timing chain or Divert Valve

it was the turbo after all. Replaced with a second hand one. I can FEEL the difference as it is ever more responsive. The city urban fuel average is about 8.9 perviously 10.5 so I guess that was it then.

Looks like I spoke too soon. After a week of euphoria the "Anti-Pollution System Fault" is back again and putting the car in limp mode. I have owned about 4 cars including a 1976 Toyota Corona but never had to get a car towed. In six months it has one air con fault, on turbo fault and now this. Technology is supposed to make things better but this is a "b%tch". After having it diagnosed by a reputed Peugeot repairer and still not knowing what the problem is, is not acceptable.

The car is back to its original symptoms sluggish jerky transmission, no power and really dangerous to drive. I have been told the car goes in limp mode.

Anyone has any other ideas I am thinking of getting fair trading into this. I have been sold a car which has had relentless problems.

It has been more than 4 weeks now and no faults so far. So it looks like after changing the turbo (wastegate problem), fuel pump, timing chain the issue appears to be fixed. Was told that Peugeot's fault system is too finely tuned so any change in parameters starts this wild goose chase. I am glad its over. Back to sheer driving pleasure.
    dhaw likes this.

Thread Information