Locusts in the radiator
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Russell Hall

Thread: Locusts in the radiator

Default Locusts in the radiator

Working out west but copped a lot of locusts getting here....! How have some flyscreen fitted but the gap between the radiator and the airconditioner condenser is 1/3rd full of compacted bodies. In the 306 there seems to no be exit/gap at the bottom of the cavity. High pressure hose just compacted the sludge. Do I have to remove the radiator or has anyone got an idea? Thanks

Advertisement

Need to clean it out as locust juice is corrosive and will rot out your radiator

Really? I never had any corrosion in the Xantia from them - but I did get a few locusts hatch around the area of lawn I reverse flushed the radiator fins.

For the 306, it is very tight so I fully concur with removal of the radiator to clean - if only for restoration of cooling. Bit of a job!

Why did I know you were going to say that?
    Thanks Addo!

1000+ Posts

I use an air hose with a high pressure nozzle to clean radiator fins. It's slow but works. I don't know your access problems.

Fellow Frogger!

Bastard things. There was a massive plague a few years back and that sucked. It's turned my car yellow and I was dragging handfuls of the things out of my bonnet scoop on the STi I had at the time. Fly screen or shade cloth is your friend! Where are you working at the moment? I have seen the odd few about travelling back down from Coonamble last week.

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw View Post
    Working out west but copped a lot of locusts getting here....! How have some flyscreen fitted but the gap between the radiator and the airconditioner condenser is 1/3rd full of compacted bodies. In the 306 there seems to no be exit/gap at the bottom of the cavity. High pressure hose just compacted the sludge. Do I have to remove the radiator or has anyone got an idea? Thanks
    Radiator repair shops immerse the radiator in a hot wash cleaning solution then blow out with LP compressed air.

Cleaning in car is almost impossible. Pressure cleaning is a no-no on aluminium fins because of the risk of flattening them.

On air conditioner coils "nifti" household spray cleaner and the garden hose works a treat.

I can't see why it wouldn't work on a car radiator.

Sit the coil horizontal and liberally spray the cleaner over coil. Leave to soak for 10 minutes and hose out.

I've made an water director get a flat spray jet. It's a piece of 1/4 copper with a flattened end. It's soldered into a clip-in type hose adapter.

Satay sticks are good for dislodging built up crud. Sometimes they need to shaved or sanded to fit between the fins.

Whatever you do "go" easy on aluminium radiators: it's so easy to flatten fins or make a hole.

Working at Walgett but the major infestations are from Mudgee thru to Gilgandra. Any further and nothing is growing! Brother had a good tip for bodywork.....cover the front bumper and bonnet leading edge with clingwrap.. and end of trip just peal it off! He also suggests CRC/WD40 sprayed on will stop them sticking.

PS.. initally spent half an hour fitting blue shade cloth. Test run in 35 degrees and the water temp just kept on climbing... ripped it off... word is that metal flyscreen material breathes better than fibreglass but I used the latter and its OK. Metal might have adverse effects on the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw View Post
    Working at Walgett but the major infestations are from Mudgee thru to Gilgandra. Any further and nothing is growing!............................... He also suggests CRC/WD40 sprayed on will stop them sticking.
    I reckon a light spray of CRC/WD40 might stop insects sticking to the core but equally it will attract and hold dirt and dust, of which there is no shortage in the area of which you speak...
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

CFA fire trucks in service on firegrounds have their radiator fins blown with an air hose every change of shift (12 hours) by the DMO's. Access is good and the radiators are always perfect despite difficult operating conditions.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I was in Walgett a few weeks back for work too. Hope your eating at the Sports club. How do you like the new security camera setup at the IGA lol

"Brother had a good tip for bodywork"..... talking bodywork here....... stopping the yellow splatter!

Dunno... got to do grocery shop tonight...... I'll try not to steal anything

Can we get a pic of the camera, please?

Thread Information