Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Whippet
  • 1 Post By lion5
  • 1 Post By Whippet

Thread: Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth

Fellow Frogger!

Default Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth

I noticed Mrs Whippet reversing the 307 a few days ago, observed no stop light or blinker. Note to self, must fix that when I next have a spare five minutes. Maybe a blown stop globe and lose/dusty connection for the other, will only take a few minutes.

Labour day holiday in Victoria, so I whip out the light assembly and to my horror notice that the pin connection to the harness plug has corroded. If you have a look at the attached images, it appears that the female connecter has become hot, I suspect after the corrosion on the zinc? plated carbon steel pin for the common earth on the light cluster assembly.

I guess I will have to solder another earth wire onto the light cluster and include a crimp on spade connecter, solder the other end onto the earth wire behind the connecting plug on the harness.

5 minutes just turned into 50 minutes!!!

Advertisement

Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth-img_3619.jpgWhy are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth-img_3621.jpgWhy are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth-img_3618.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth-img_3620.jpg  

Icon7

That's amazing! Is it possible something corrosive has crept up the earth wire?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Repaired & Happy Now

Hi.

Not the most esoteric repair I have ever performed, but considering it is a public holiday, it will suffice; as that is all I could scrounge in my shed from my left over trade days.

Note: The copper in the common/earth was clean and bright where I soldered the bridge wire. The RHS light assembly multi-pin connector plug all looks clean, dry and sans corrosion.

Anyway - onto my next job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth-img_3623.jpg   Why are simple things so frustrating - 307 LHR light Cluster - Bad Earth-img_3622.jpg  
    lozenge and dino like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    I noticed Mrs Whippet reversing the 307 a few days ago, observed no stop light or blinker. Note to self, must fix that when I next have a spare five minutes.
    You let your wife drive around without stop lights.. Or indicators.. For a few days? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    You let your wife drive around without stop lights.. Or indicators.. For a few days? Wow.

A bit presumptuous... and a touch of "righteousness" that isnt palatable... The nice and "right" thing to do is say "well done" on the repair...

Well done on the repair Mr Whippet...

cheers

dino

http://i.imgur.com/t0XHtgJ.gif

Watch this =] I'm sure we've all been through this once or twice.
    borosa likes this.

Icon6

G'day,
    my weekend.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

My dear Dino - I concur with your thoughts.

May I offer a very gracious thank you for your kind words of encouragement in recognition of my untiring efforts to repair to full operating status the vehicle that Mrs Whippet prefers to drive.

You will be pleased to know that I managed to get a few more ticks in the boxes of the list on the fridge during my Labour day holiday!!! I have a surplus of brownie points, and am now gloating, scheming when and how I can redeem them. The altruism ran out fairly quickly!
    addo likes this.

Had a similar problem on my 307 with the front headlight harness. My opinion is is that the plastic they use to manufacture the connectors isn't up to the temperatures generated or at best is borderline.

Ended up replacing the wholelot with new hi temp rated connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    That's amazing! Is it possible something corrosive has crept up the earth wire?
    That to me looks like the connection was bad in that the conductor didnt connect to his mate properly and the joint went high resistance. When current flows there is a voltage drop across the join and it heats up. So volts are expended here and not where they should be...at the bulb

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Thread Information