Com2000 repair job for 2013 Hdi 406.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Com2000 repair job for 2013 Hdi 406.

Turns out the 406 I have bought has the wonky indicator stalk. I've seen that there is a part for about 5 pounds that I can buy to repair it, albeit the procedure appears detailed. Just wondering if anybody has undertaken this job, and what were the issues with doing so? How easy is it, and is there an issue with removing the steering wheel and / or horn pad with airbags? Is it just a matter of prising it off the wheel? Any technical pointers here much appreciated.

Advertisement

Have a good surf of foreign Ebay to look at matching horn pads and steering wheels - this will give you the clues on removal.

Suggest you lock the steering "dead ahead" and chalk an alignment mark on the back of your wheel and the column shroud before removal, to be sure...

When refitting the COMM unit, make sure the two match marks (small and discreet) on the rotating ring and its outer, align. If you are out by 360 degrees, the unit will break irrepairably.

never seen anyone repair it for 5 pounds that's really cheap. I just got a new unit instead ($300 shipped total), but there are 2x 406s at picknpayless now, you could rip both of them off, i'm sure the guys would charge you no more than $30 for both, they may well be fully functional. Only hard part is confirming that theirs are the same as yours.

I also have one from a citroen C5 (non functional) which is yours provided it's the same model.

Two points to note here:

- they stopped making 406 quite a while before 2013. Did you mean 2003?

- who said that you have to take the steering wheel off? I have changed my D8 406 indicator stalk just by removing the top and bottom plastic covered from over the steering column (have to wiggle it, just a little bit) and then iirc there's 2 8mm torx screws.

Possibly the D9 is different. Glad to be corrected.

Chris

The later D9s with multiplex wiring, did have an integrated control hub. Probably "necessary" for evolution of the control systems, but the D8 electronics are more durable.

...stand to be corrected there, I meant to say 2003 406 HDi.

If I chose to replace the switch, new for old can anyone tell me; 1) are these blinker switches still available new from Peugeot, and 2) is it as simple as pulling out the old and replacing with new, OR is there some problem wherein the new part will not work, as it has some chip in it that disallows that from happening. I guess the nub of this question is, can I buy a new Peugeot part (switch assembly) and just install and it'll work, or is there more to the picture here? Lastly, what is the price of a new OEM part from the factory?

Oh yeah one more question for the uninitiated. What does 'multiplex' wiring mean? what are the ramifications of having a car with 'multiplex' wiring?

If it's multiplex, a sedan body, right? No rear window wiper, also what about ESP?

It has EBD (electronic brake force distribution), it is a Sedan and has no rear wiper. So what does Multiplex mean?

Basically it means that major elements of the car's electronics are connected to sub-computers, controlled by a stream of instructions from a central computer (the BSI).

This is as opposed to traditional wiring which uses simple battery voltage along a pair of wires to transmit your intentions from end to end.

Thread Information