• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 307 won't start after battery replacement

Fellow Frogger!

Default 307 won't start after battery replacement

Hi all,
    My mother drives a 307 series 1. She has left her car with the parking lights on and the battery had fully discharged. As the battery was about 4 years old I recommended a new battery as she must be able to rely on her car considering her age and all. To replace the battery I took the key out of the ignition, closed the door and waited half an hour for the computer to "go to sleep". I then disconnected the terminals fitted the new battery and tried to start the car. No go! The engine will turn over but won't fire. Unbelievably, this is the second time this has happened. Last time she had to have the car towed and the guy charged her $1000 for the repair. Not good on a pension. Can only one suggest why this has happened, have I caused it, and most importantly, is there an at home solution I can try? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

TDC sensor?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

What is it and what do I do to it?

1000+ Posts

It sounds like a BSI mess again. There is a witch doctor performance for these described by Betty Swallocks at PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DIS-CONNECTION (The 3 Minute Rule) - Peugeot Forums

The idea is to wait after the battery goes back to let the system reset itself. My C5 manual says to wait at least a minute, and be prepared to reset several functions (windows, display, etc). Do you know what your Mum's manual says?

PS Another witch doctor does this http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...ontrol_failure

Fellow Frogger!

I haven't read the manual. But reading the procedure in the link, I wasn't far off. I certainly got the disconnect procedure right, I left it for half an hour.

You'll need the four character secure code. If you don't have this, purchase online from Martin @ peugeotcodes.

307s are getting good at this; you have to reconfigure the BSI and program in the keys again. It happens from trying to start the car when the battery is knackered - the BSI chucks a wobbly and forgets its own name etc.

I would charge you $210 to sort it as described, $50 of this becoming a donation to charity.

Fellow Frogger!

The second link is interesting seasink. I'll give it a go and let you know how things go. Thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

Thank addo, if I have this code, what do I do with it? Or do I need to connect laptop? I'd happily pay the $210 but how do I get car to you or are you mobile? Car is in Leonay, near Penrith.

The code is necessary as the BSI has forgotten the keys, you "build up" the BSI with Peugeot Planet by re-entering the VIN, configuring the body details (number of doors, sunroof, gearbox type and so forth), then re-unite it with the keys by matching the keys to the BSI with the secure code.

I can come to you; it's an hour each way but no big deal. Message me if you want to lock something in.

Most of this type work I no longer do, there are richer pickings the other side of Sydney.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks addo, let me try the rest and I'll be in touch. I'm not expecting it to work, of course.

...and this my friends is why i hate modern cars... As far as I m concerned peugeot should be taking care of this... it might be an older car but for "one" to find themselves in this situation after a simple battery change is not good enough... just stupid.

Would it be worth trying to disconnect the new battery again... letting car sit for an hour or so... and then trying again...

dino
    Fordman likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Could not agree more, dino. Battery is disconnected now and will try again in the morning.

Fellow Frogger!

No luck with this procedure. I think it may be the correct way of doing things when all is well, but once the damage is done, this is not the fix. Not in my case anyway.
    addo, I have sent you a PM.

I get RACQ to deliver & fit any batteries. No dearer than doing it myself and they maintain power supply during the changeover to preserve codes etc and their work is guaranteed. My low km's C4 is playing up with faulty BSI sensors which crashed the mechanics diagnostics and the now the car is in permanent limp home mode. Ashame that PSA products are still plagued by electrical issues. Hard to stay loyal to the brand.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Fellow Frogger!

We did that the first time. That was the time it cost $1000 to fix.
    As frustrating as this is, I will remain ever loyal.

1000+ Posts

I know Colliers have fixed this. The bad news is you have to get the car to Granville.

My 2007 307 had a battery issue last month.

I'd just hooked up the trailer and drove down the street and was greeted with all sorts of stop errors on the dash, braking system, ABS failures, you name it! I thought it was an electrical fault from the trailer, but then she refused to crank over at the soil place. I took the long walk home and grabbed another car. I made an investment in the DiagBox and Peugeot Planet software and hardware some time ago, so I took my cables and laptop back down to the car.

40 mins of clearing various BSI, Engine and ABS fault codes with the other car hooked up with jumper cables and she fired up. Got her home and stopped, she wouldn't go again... I suspected battery so had that replaced in the morning, and despite having battery disconnected overnight, she fired up first go! Haven't had an issue since...

Tonch, I'm no mechanic, and really have little idea what i'm doing as I haven't had much time to play with PP and Diagbox. I mention this as I live in Glenmore Park, pretty much 5 mins away from your mum...but I am sceptical that i'd be able to make her go again.

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting, borosa. Do you think it would be worth me investing in the equipment you have?

I'd say yes! Even running a "lite" version like I do (no flash update files) gets you closer to the bottom of many puzzling events faster. And if you ever need to add new keys to the car, you just use the secure code and your diagnostic kit.
    borosa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    I get RACQ to deliver & fit any batteries. No dearer than doing it myself and they maintain power supply during the changeover to preserve codes etc and their work is guaranteed. My low km's C4 is playing up with faulty BSI sensors which crashed the mechanics diagnostics and the now the car is in permanent limp home mode. Ashame that PSA products are still plagued by electrical issues. Hard to stay loyal to the brand.
    Well I take back my comment as it only stayed on limp mode for a day after reset. I left it for the entire weekend un-driven then I've been driving it since Monday without any faults or issues. It's an '07 & this is the first time it has played up Yet had me worried. Anyway I don't think it is the fault of the car as 3 weeks ago I had he timing belt done & they had to remove the front wheels. We discovered the tyre place had damaged one & lost the other of two locking nut adapters supplied for my car, grrrr... so the mechanic had to hammer out the wheel nuts! Now at least I won't have a problem if confronted with a flat tyre yet I thnik all that banging upset one of ABS sensors as that what was lodged as the fault first. Why all systems decided not to communicate though for a couple of days is odd. Fingers crossed washing the car did the trick.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Tonch, I will message you with the specific ebay item I purchased. Easily the best of the lot! Definitely worth every cent...

She lives! It was the "usual" 307 losing its bundle scenario. Disturbingly the BSI took three goes before allowing the key memorisation to be done.

Still an AC fault, there is dialogue between the BSI and climate module and the blower works but it isn't full dialogue and the compressor isn't being allowed to switch on.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    She lives! It was the "usual" 307 losing its bundle scenario. Disturbingly the BSI took three goes before allowing the key memorisation to be done.

Still an AC fault, there is dialogue between the BSI and climate module and the blower works but it isn't full dialogue and the compressor isn't being allowed to switch on.
    Just to throw something into the cooking pot here. With the caveat that I have very little knowledge of BSI hardware.

Recently I was asked by a friend to have a look at an "ancient" Tektronixs oscilloscope. The device was four channel highly specced CRT type 'scope.

One channel was displaying "calibration error". After some research I found the calibration procedure and flow chart of the Scope.

All calibration parameters are held in a SRAM (static random access memory) chip. I was familiar with the chip since it is/was also used in Inner Range Concept xx alarm products.

The chip has an inbuilt battery which backs the data when the chip is un powered. The battery had a life of 15 years. After some fault finding I discovered the chip had totally defaulted - zeroes in all locations. The internal battery was stuffed and failed to back the chip's previously written data. So the calibration parameters had been lost.

I just wonder if the BSI data is also held in SRAM ? And if what is the condition of the chip's internal battery? This could explain the loss of data when the car battery is disconnected.

Many of these BSIs are quite old and the internal batteries don't last forever.

EDIT: The "three goes" scenario is what led me to the internal battery scenario. Even whilst on power, if the battery is crook and loading the supply it can be marginal if the chip will "write".

So I can see similarities in between the Tek scope and the BSI issue.

The Tek is a real bitch because the old chip is soldered so it has to removed and socket fitted. And calibrating it is task all on it's own.
    Last edited by robmac; 11th March 2015 at 01:27 PM.

That sounds quite probable, if the internal battery is ageing and current is sufficiently interrupted it would certainly drop its bundle as described. There is nothing on the BSI boards (they are a pair, with header pins/sockets) which appears to be a power supply in itself.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post

I've had this before too - usually after another failure which has resulted in the car being continually cranked to the point of draining the battery. Then the bsi wipes it's self. So then you sit there for a few hours trying to reprogramme the fricken thing.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information