P1457 DPF... 307 2.0 HDi 2006
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default P1457 DPF... 307 2.0 HDi 2006

Hi all, would appreciate your thoughts on my current problem with 2006 307 wagon, 2.0 HDi, 200000km.

Short story; Engine light came on 3 days after 200k service, along with "Depollution system Faulty" message.

Long story; At the Peugeot Main Dealer service I had discussed a few other symptoms;
    • intermittent stutter, jerking, like a loss of fuel. (Thought it may have been contaminated fuel, but it has continued over four tanks from different servo’s. Only happens occasionally, but then get several stutters in a row. Can be at high or low speed, cruise control on or off. Severe stutter can be enough to cancel cruise control).
    • reduced power at lower revs and not a smooth transition on the throttle from 1500 to 2500 rpm. Uneven, seems to fall in a hole. The car seems to be held back, choked, not free revving as it was.
    • increased fuel consumption, The last 100 000 km I always get 5.6L/100 on the computer (majority of mileage is easy cruising). On the last four tankfuls this has jumped to over 6.3L/100.
    • Exhaust note seems to drone more audibly.

80 % of my driving is 100+km/hr on highway and freeway – the best conditions for DPF longevity.
    The owner’s manual states the service warning light (yellow triangle and exclamation mark) lights to indicate “the start of saturation of the particle emission filter (Diesel) due to exceptionally prolonged urban driving conditions, low speed, traffic jams etc”. I have not had this light show up at all.

Then 3 days after service “Depollution System Faulty” came up on the display and engine light stays on. Main dealer checked and "The fault code message 0472 that is still present in the vehicle indicates that the DPF is blocked, The pressure differential sensor was blocked as a result of the DPF being blocked. The pressure difference between the input and output of the DPF can be viewed quite easily on the computer, We had no pressure reading with the old sensor, with the new sensor the pressure reading simply increases with engine RPM. "
    They had fitted new sensor, associated pipes, checked wiring, and were reading live data to the sensor pre and post DPF.

So I then sourced a BM11004 DPF from the UK which main dealer fitted.
    But the code now showing is permanent fault P1457 relating to the DPF gas flow. They have also replaced the differential pressure sensor and associated pipes. Previously the old DPF was shown to be blocked, as this new sensor showed an increase in pressure as the revs rise. Now, with the new BM DPF the differential pressure sensor is showing no resistance throughout the rev range, as if it is flowing too much exhaust gas. They have been able to artificially increase the back pressure at the post DPF pipe by linking in a pressure/vacuum gauge and the differential pressure sensor reads this OK. Thus the feedback to the ECU is showing this P1457 fault.

This is where I'm at now, and looking down the barrel of a big bill.

Does anyone out there have any expertise in this area?

Advertisement

Hopefully from all your greater experiences you can offer me some hope that the new DPF can be coded correctly to the car and prevent this code returning.
    Is it possible it just needs running in for a while to build up an initial back pressure.
    Or are there any coding tricks for different DPF parameters to be compatible with the ECU.
    Have asked UK makers for advice also, waiting on response.

Thanks, in advance

Ian

1000+ Posts

Automotive computer diagnostics are always good for head scratching. I looked up those codes in the PSA manual to confirm what you have been told.
    0472 = Dépassement des valeurs limites MIN (= tension trop faible) du Capteur pression différentielle FAP
    . ie, voltage too low from the FAP differential pressure sensor
    1457 = FAP absent. Nettoyage du FAP est nécessaire.
    ie FAP cleaning is required (based on the load of the ash and distance travelled).

Tadpole

Thanks Seasink, The dealer is telling me the fault code now, P1457, indicates "DPF puncture" and they said the sensor recorded 0 mbar differential pressure. This is with a new DPF from the UK (non Peugeot) so they are laying the blame there.
    I wonder is it possible they have connected the sensor tubes back to front so the lower pressure, post DPF will always be lower than the pre DPF pressure and so always reading zero.? I would like to think not but stranger things have happened.
    I would hope the DPF and sensor are OK and it needs setting up at the ECU to recognise the new setup correctly.
    Any tips for that

Tadpole

Yes, I saw that thread too, similar model, age and mileage. Emailed young 4 old pug to see if he has any further tech info on what differential pressure should be. More web research, primarily UK forums suggest there were more than one type of sensor fitted to 307's and to make sure pressure lines are connected the right way.
    If back to front would they read 0 mbar at all times? Hence a fault code ?
    Ian
    Waiting on other replies from DPF maker, supplier, and Peugeot Technical dept, but any thoughts appreciated.

Tadpole

Latest update and everything's worked out OK.
    On Friday I picked the car back up from the main dealer, so I could get new tyres and the yearly registration check (NSW) this weekend. The dealer service advisor said that they had not done any further work on it since the above details - fault code P1457 DPF puncture/ incorrect pressure differential information unable to be cleared and blaming the imported DPF as faulty.
    However the car is now not displaying any warning lights or messages and seems to be running as it should, smooth pick up and power back to normal.
    So either the French electronics have finally recognised the new DPF is working OK or the dealer has realised I’m not going to pay $2000 to them for a OEM DPF and they’ve gone back in and cleared up the P1457 fault in the ECU. Either way it does not fill me with any confidence in the car yet.

So I intend to keep driving the car, with the new DPF on, until it fails again. Hopefully this will be a few years down the track. 5 days on and still going OK so fingers crossed. Or should that be doigts croisés !
    Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

What is the reason of having DPF? Ive seen some people have turned off DPF and remove it completely - is it worth doing that rather having these headaches?
    Cheers
    AP

1000+ Posts

A diesel particle filter (French FAP) is a device to trap particulate matter from the exhaust. The computer can manipulate the engine to create an exhaust hot enough to periodically burn it clean. All vehicles in some markets must be so equipped. Without it you get clouds of black smoke every time you accelerate. Remember old buses?

Turning it off requires quite a bit of work, including reprogramming, and the vehicle is then considered unroadworthy. You won't find a reputable workshop to help you.

Peugeot diesels start the regeneration process when you are travelling continuously at moderate speed. The easy way is go for a country run.

Fellow Frogger!

The DPFs are from the European emissions requirements (Euro IV) which Australia have brought into our design rules (ADRs) that the manufacturers have to meet before selling the car in our market. Removing the DPF would require a recertification of the car at the owners expense, and it would likely fail to meet the requirements without it. Better off sticking to the older cars and engines that never had them than trying your luck running a new car without it.

Fellow Frogger!

PS it's not to remove the black clouds of soot, the modern HDi diesel with its EGR and electronic injection is perfectly capable of clean running without needing a filter.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idiver01 View Post
    Yes, I saw that thread too, similar model, age and mileage. Emailed young 4 old pug to see if he has any further tech info on what differential pressure should be. More web research, primarily UK forums suggest there were more than one type of sensor fitted to 307's and to make sure pressure lines are connected the right way.
    If back to front would they read 0 mbar at all times? Hence a fault code ?
    Ian
    Waiting on other replies from DPF maker, supplier, and Peugeot Technical dept, but any thoughts appreciated.
    I have just found this and sent you an email
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
    The DPFs are from the European emissions requirements (Euro IV) which Australia have brought into our design rules (ADRs) that the manufacturers have to meet before selling the car in our market.
    That is not quite true ONLY European made cars selling in AU have the DPF's at this point of time look at the Ford Territory with a Peugeot 2.7 HDi motor the antipollution stuff is identical but without the DPF's even large trucks do not require a DPF to be sold here but both Europe and USA are now meeting the Euro standard so we get them here Japanese, Korean etc do not have the DPF when sold in AU.

This is only one example Does the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Have a Diesel Particle Filter (DPF)? ? John Cadogan's Auto Expert Guide to Everything Automotive

Toyota Apparently Toyota does not fit a DPF to any of their Diesels sold in Australia
    Isuzu Again, evidently no fitment of DPF to their Utilities
    Ford Territory Produced in Australia without DPF
    Mitsubishi Pajero From mid Model NT the DPF was completely removed. Early NT production had a "Flow Through" DPF that had no sensors attached and did not do burns. Mitsubishi had a real problem with their DPF on earlier models
    Hyundai I30 Current model does not Have DPF fitted. Earlier model does or Possibly the Auto has a DPF and the manual does not. Evidently there is a sticker under the bonnet if there is not one fitted.
    Hyundai R series diesel in the Santa Fe No DPF fitted. DPF is fitted to earlier models possibly only Autos.
    Holden Colorado No DPF fitted
    Nissan Patrol has never had DPF fitted

cheers
    Last edited by Meggsy; 22nd March 2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added info
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Fellow Frogger!

The wikipedia page claims that the ADRs are being updated to align with Euro emissions standards and the ADRs (which are now available free online, hooray) reference the ECE standards. ITs a big mess of legalese so I'm not going to follow it all the way through but although we may be several years behind it'll catch up sooner or later.
    406 HDi

Thread Information